Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles for under £100

Poster: A snowHead
Recommendations please !!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ones that fit.

I've had some which sit too high due to the position of the nose bridge so limiting my vision below. I've had some which hurt the bridge of my nose. I've got one pair of Uvex which are very comfy, but don't fit with my helmet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Louis, Hard to know where to start. Your question is a bit like asking for recommendations for a car costing less than £100,000. In my purely personal opinion, once you get over about £75 you are probably just paying for the brand name. Remember, they are only goggles. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu, They are not "only goggles", they are meant to protect your eyes (and you won't get another pair of those), provide you with decent contrast and a good field of view. They shouldn't fog, leak air and obstruct breathing. They will have to fit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have a pair of SCOTT Witness goggles with light sensitive/reactive lenses. I've been very happy with them so far. They were £75 from lockwoods
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I rate the Salomon goggles, got a pair in the sale last season at 2 seasons and they do what they say on the box.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dragon NFX? Frameless, come with a second lense, very nice designs out there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
never summer, My point was that we just need to keep things in perspective. Any half-decent pair of goggles will protect your eyes, provide decent contrast, a good field of view and won't fog. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'leak air' and I have no idea what you mean by 'obstruct breathing'. I've never managed the knack of breathing through my eyeballs. They certainly need to fit, but in my experience most do anyway. I've had pairs of Salomon, Cebe, Scott and Tog 24 and there wasn't much to choose between any of them. They all did a great job.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems like a lot of pennies for goggles. Someone on SH forum with more knowledge than me suggested there is little extra benefit from spending loads. I have a pair of Bolle that cost about £20-30. Fit well, never steam unless I stick them on my head when I stop, and I forget I have them on when skiing. I am no expert though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Seems like a lot of pennies for goggles. Someone on SH forum with more knowledge than me suggested there is little extra benefit from spending loads.
+1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+2
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More than happy with my orange blocs for low vis days, and they cost me something like £15-20. I also have a pair of Mundaka optics for sunny days and they're great!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was always firmly in the "£30-40 for a pair of goggles is fine" camp but splashed out just over £100 on a pair of Oakley A-frames last year (came with two lenses, one for sunny days and one for low light) and I can't recommend them highly enough. Comfy, durable, don't ever steam up, I could go on all day.

As previously mentioned though it is all down to the shape of your napper and what works for you. Just go out and try on lots of them in Snow and Rock/Ellis Brigham etc and try not to look at the price tags until you find one that fits!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobalexander1983 wrote:
I was always firmly in the "£30-40 for a pair of goggles is fine" camp but splashed out just over £100 on a pair of Oakley A-frames last year (came with two lenses, one for sunny days and one for low light) and I can't recommend them highly enough. Comfy, durable, don't ever steam up, I could go on all day.

As previously mentioned though it is all down to the shape of your napper and what works for you. Just go out and try on lots of them in Snow and Rock/Ellis Brigham etc and try not to look at the price tags until you find one that fits!

I always thought this way about gloves, but finally treated myself to a pair of Hestra's the other year. I'm glad I did as they are very nice, but they don't do anything significantly different to the cheap old gauntlets I'd been wearing for years.

I really struggle to find goggles that fit me, I must have a really wide face. I've tried on loads of the Oakley range and the only one I liked was I think the Canopy (and they were about £120 when I was looking). Who knows, maybe I'll treat myself again in a few years time, but currently happy with my £30 Dirty Dogs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found Bolle modulator (photochromic) goggles last year. Brilliant !
latest report
I went to a store in covent garden and asked about the oakleys in the cabinet with the microchip / hud in them .... £500 ....
errr ,, i could actually go skiing for a week for that.
ski holidays
deerman wrote:

+1 I've used these since they first came out, 4/5 years ago and recommend them to anyone who'll listen. Easily the best goggles under £100.
ski holidays
Got some smith I/O goggles with spare lens for £109. Bit over your budget but great goggles.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu, Well, they can be pinching your nose, that's what I meant by "obstruct breathing", and "leaking air" happen when you get wind inside one of your lenses. Not all goggles will fit you the same and not all goggles will fit with your helmet, or even if they do your field of view can be a little limited. And goggles that provide best contrast usually will have a low UV protection, so ideally you should be able to change lenses or have goggles with photochromatic lenses. Brand is the least relevant thing, but all these things are important and you might well end up paying above 75 pounds for a pair that ticks all the boxes.
ski holidays
Quote:

+1, and well under £100.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu, my old goggles obstructed my breathing by pressing on my nose and pressuring my sinuses - made it sound like I had allergies. Didn't notice it too much while actually skiing, but it was irritating in queues/lifts etc.

Got some a-frames a couple of years ago, pretty sure I paid a fair bit less than £100 (one lense, no spares as mentioned above), but I don't remember exactly. The best thing about them is the strap attachment thingy means they work really well with my helmet. Can't fault them tbh.
ski holidays
Decathlon usually have some decent 'discounted' pairs for £10-£20
snow report
I spent 160 quid on what I thought would be some really good Oakleys, also they looked massive which - considering my face is the size of a dustbin lid - seemed ideal.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out they have a field of peripheral vision equivalent to wearing a shoe box on my head with just a tuppence size hole in the front cut out!

Still, they came in a lovely carrying case.
snow conditions
Mr Pieholeo, didn't you try them on? £160! Shocked
ski holidays
I bought them online.

Shut up.
snow report
I bought a second hand pair of Smith i/o from another snowhead.... best pair of goggles i've owned! The lenses are easily changed, so I carry around 3 lenses with me for every possible light condition. I would definitely recommend them and will myself be buying another pair when these give up the ghost.
ski holidays
After only ever using goggles under 80 quid or so previously, last season I stumped up the cash for some Smith I/OX's.

HUGE improvement, especially in low vis; even more so in warm humid snowing low vis of the sort that really wants to fog up your goggles.

If you can afford it, there really is a difference.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 14-01-14 1:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mr Pieholeo, Laughing I asked advice from a lad in the much maligned Snow and Rock.. I really CBA with changing lenses and so far the photochromics have coped with everything. Shame I can't spell them.......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+1, and well under £100.

Agreed. Fab goggles.
ski holidays
The fit around my mid wide face and the fit over my nose so as NOT to pinch, the fit in and around the helmet brim etc.- really important the last one! I have now 3 pairs of Bolle all the same frame just with different lens tints for ALL conditions. For me the NOVA frame has it all. I've bought from ebay for about 1/2 cost of S+R ( well last years models!).
However, a 50~70£ goggle hasn't the same 'quality' of a more expensive goggle - it just hasn't i'll freely admit. Also, i got so fed up with feeling so precious with the expensive lenses etc that also weren't a perfect fit, so that i decided to invest some time in the selecting the perfect fitting 'good enough' goggle - for me, it's the Bolle Nova.
Also as it's good enough for WC racers too, i took that as a fair recommendation.
Certainly Oakley state their polycarbonate lens is the toughest and i'd agree. My GF cracked hers skiing into the back of me so in that situation of facial impact (e.g head planting), perhaps a hard lens is preferable to a softer variant ( or so oakley says). Of course though, eyes normally sit well inside a boney pocket, so are very well protected anyway. All worth some thought.
latest report
Thanks all !
ski holidays
My Bolle Novas are miles better than Hippo's Oakleys.

No idea what either cost.

snowHead
ski holidays
but they look so pretty

http://anonoptics.com/goggles/mens/m2/10774100406_1
snow conditions
lynseyf, I particularly enjoyed the suggestion "make your style statement."

Anyone who has ever seen myself or Hippo on skis will laugh a lot at this.

snowHead
snow conditions
I have recently bought a frames in black with a fire iridium lens and they are absolutely brilliant
latest report
I'm sure they're very good, but I did't get on with Oakley A frames, when it snowed it accumulated in the little sticky-out bits on the lower part of the frame.

I bought a pair of Smith Phenoms with the sensor mirror low light lens about 5 years ago, and I think I've worn them for 2 days in total (any offers wink ), but along with a number of people on here I would highly recommend the Bolle Nova Modulators, they're fantastic, and I where them all day everyday ( on the hill obviously, 'cos they get a bit funny at work). I think they're about £30-£40 and well worth the money.
latest report
Are these a good deal or am I missing something Puzzled

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301080296665?var=600201236584&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
ski holidays
The 20% import tax?
ski holidays
I've skied with a lot of different goggles over the years, including various models from Oakley, POC, Dragon, Bolle, cheap no-brand, etc. Last season I switched to Smith I/O or IO/S and they do seem to be the best yet. Much better at keeping clear, even when it is warm and wet, and a decent choice of lens colours. They aren't cheap, but I've been lucky to get nearly new 2nd models from eBay or snowHeads.

Best advice is to try on lots of pairs so you know they are comfortable on your face, and fit with your helmet if you wear one.
snow conditions
This time of year there are loads of sales on for old goggle stock. I tried on many brands, found that A Frames fitted me perfectly and just kept my eyes open. Think I paid about £60 for them, but now have two pairs, one of which has seen me through over 50 weeks of skiing (being worn or stuffed in a pack).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy