Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paper helmets!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
from the BBC today;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25681895

This should be good for 50 pages wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seems like nobody has mache to say about it Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't the egg packaging industry known about paper for some time? I seem to recall something like a science show for kids on the TV once dropping cartons of 6 eggs from top storey windows of a house. IIRC they tried the trad. paper maiche grey boxes, the thin see through plastic ones and the the ones that appear to be thin compressed polystyrene, the paper maiche grey ones won head and shoulders over the rest for protecting the eggs. The reason cited back then was its compressive qualities. I have no problems believing that it would be possible to make very suitable helmets for many sports (except maybe kayaking when it might need some internal water resistant finish as well as on the outside which any outdoor sport would need) from such materials.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
innovative - and good lateral thinking...
some issues though...
- not providing penetration protection with that design (though other designs could)
- a honeycomb protection may have less uni-directional protection than current 'foams' which might make the helmet stronger in some directions and weaker in others... (the current tests are poor in testing for some issues - they just do simple blunt impact tests)
- some of the issues in an accident are more complex than just the speed of the brain in the skull (e.g. rotational forces)
- is it waterproof?! get snow in your helmet and it dissolves Smile not difficult to resolve

good to see continual innovation - would want quite a bit of reassurance bsfore assuming it is a complete set of improvements...

Alasdair
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

not providing penetration protection with that design (though other designs could)

Isn't that a problem with many cycle helmets? Mine is full of holes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One would assume that for skiing that wouldn't be much good as all the edges would catch on the snow as you slid down the piste, resulting in high rotational force on your head/neck... Doesn't mean you couldn't use some sort of covering like a conventional ski helmet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

not providing penetration protection with that design (though other designs could)

indeed it is - but generally open-road cycling means that penetration is not an issue - for down hill MTB then a different (closed) helmet makes more sense...
riding - the horse could cart you off through trees, so it is a part of the testingn
skiing - trees etc. - could be an issue

Alasdair
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
akirk wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

indeed it is - but generally open-road cycling means that penetration is not an issue - for down hill MTB then a different (closed) helmet makes more sense...

Huh? Puzzled

Almost all the MTB helmets I've seen are also full of holes too!

It'll be way too hot to have "closed" helmets. Your brain will be cooked from over-heating long before you meet any trees!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
akirk wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Puzzled

Almost all the MTB helmets I've seen are also full of holes too!

really?!
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-d2-delta-helmet-2013/rp-prod116101
etc.
Alasdair
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, this is specifically for downhill - I agree, you don't see many XCers wearing closed lids because as you say, you'd sweat to death.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy