Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where will you be when your's EXPLODE?

Poster: A snowHead
Following the rescent boot flex thread i feel it's important to stress the dangers of skiing with the Orange Tecnica T.N.T. Explosions. Should you be taking a risk somewhere when you ski, either steep or way into the backcontry, please think twice. These boots may shatter, some day. Contact your nearest ski shop and ask them to contact Tecnica on your behalf (Mast-Co, in the U.K.). I am sure/hope Tecnica will take them off your hands and hopefully offer a replacement of some sort. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Has the manufacturer officially recalled the product?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are certainly aware of it and have been for sometime. I would hope the distributor would recognise the potential danger and act accordinally.

I did however quiz someone at Mast Co UK on the subject once, he was evasive.

Push it, you will get full support from the Zoo. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 25-11-05 15:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I can just never tell with you Very Happy wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mod's are a bit slow today wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 25-11-05 15:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I can just never tell with you Very Happy wink

I couldn't be more serious here mate. People could be seriously injured, it's just a matter of when if not already. I just hope the hire shops have the good sense not to rent them either. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm editing your posts to reduce the chances of legal action against snowHeads
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Just to clarify: Can these boots be genuinly dangerous to the wearer, in your opinion.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin wrote:
Mod's are a bit slow today wink

Apologies for the above comment Mr Orf.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm editing your posts to reduce the chances of legal action against snowHeads

Cheers, not aware of this legal stuff.

Yes, Frosty. Most of the people whom have bought them into our shop, had them explode whist skiing. As of yet, not had anyone entering to a steep, icey couloir. The boots completly shatter leaving the shell in pieces. Imagine the worst. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Just to clarify: Can these boots be genuinly dangerous to the wearer, in your opinion.

There was an issue with them a few years back, and it has been well documented.
TNT Explosions have not been on the market for several seasons.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

There was an issue with them a few years back, and it has been well documented.
TNT Explosions have not been on the market for several seasons.

I have seen them in many a shop in and around Chamonix. There is still a problem whilst people can put their feet in them. Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thanks for the clarification. I thought you may have been having one of your "parallel thinking" moments, and giving your take on a rather strangely named boot. It would however appear that they are aptly named.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do a search on Epic on TNT and you'll see a few threads. The problems are about certain boots from the mid 90s.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DGO. You were right to moderate.

It's important to clarify: a distributor will obviously have difficulty refunding a retailer if the manufacturer hasn't officially recalled the product.

There are product safety/testing authorities, such as DIN/TUV in German, or ASTM in the USA which can act to pressure a manufacturer to recall a product if there's a safety risk. Complaints can be taken to them. Or the manufacturer might do it if they reckon they're exposed to legal claims (Tyrolia and Salomon have recalled ski bindings in the past, when faced with a risk of shattering at low temperatures).

For a consumer to take a pair of boots back to a retailer and expect a replacement/refund they'd have to demonstrate that the product isn't of merchantable quality.

Let's have authoritative evidence, rather than vague assertions. People's reputations and manufacturers' reputations are involved.

I think the naming of Scott Dobson above may be unfair - maybe the moderation should go a little further.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
DGO. You were right to moderate.

It's important to clarify: a distributor will obviously have difficulty refunding a retailer if the manufacturer hasn't officially recalled the product.

There are product safety/testing authorities, such as DIN/TUV in German, or ASTM in the USA which can act to pressure a manufacturer to recall a product if there's a safety risk. Complaints can be taken to them. Or the manufacturer might do it if they reckon they're exposed to legal claims (Tyrolia and Salomon have recalled ski bindings in the past, when faced with a risk of shattering at low temperatures).

For a consumer to take a pair of boots back to a retailer and expect a replacement/refund they'd have to demonstrate that the product isn't of merchantable quality.

Let's have authoritative evidence, rather than vague assertions. People's reputations and manufacturers' reputations are involved.

I think the naming of tecnica person above may be unfair - maybe the moderation should go a little further.

Don't wear these boots. It's simple. Fitting boots for 11 years, see 10-15 shattered pairs a season. I work with Tecnica and am very brand sensitive. Tecnica no longer use this plastic and are making some of the best made boots around. However these boots are dangerous, maybe when you have a case to argue that this is so you may not be able to get out of your bed to put forth your point.

Sorry, the rep' seamed a little unconcearned at the time. He did however offer to replace any broken ones. I hope this will be a satifactory solution to those of you with broken boots. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-11-05 15:38; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm not saying I don't accept what you say in good faith but the way you reported it was accusatory and personal, naming people.

Specify exactly what you know as a fact: i.e. how many boots have you personally seen shattered etc., and then that can be put together with what can be sourced from Epic, as Fox suggests.
snow conditions
I had these for many years, never exploded for me, but since got a pair which fits better Very Happy

Smallzookeeper - can you check your personal messages please?

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, does this problem apply solely to the TNT Explosion or are there any other Technicas sold at that time which are also susceptible?
snow conditions
slikedges, from checking the web it's just some 93-98 Explosions.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
slikedges, from checking the web it's just some 93-98 Explosions.

Yep, they're bright almost flouresant orange. The pigmentation was the problem with the plastic. It was the early test for the translucid plastics we see today. Twisted Evil
snow report
slikedges, my book of suspects includes the TNS and the TCR, some junior boots, some of those not in orange sorbet (flamingo flame) trim at all but might be red with blue highlights, but would have the orange sorbet plastic inserts at the tongue closure/instep.

The darker orange early TNTs were perfectly fine for their day.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, SMALLZOOKEEPER, comprex, there is an odd ticking sound coming from the corner of my garage where I have a pair of TNS Explosions that I still wear occasionally. Should I quickly throw them into the nearest lake? Or will Tecnica rush round to give me some new boots? Little Angel
latest report
slikedges, Best not to check them as hold luggage on your next flight ex-uk. Shocked You could always use them to get some new boots from Technica Toofy Grin
snow conditions
comprex, Fascinating stuff...My recently retired clogs...TNS L, a metal flake black colour with pale green insert at the tongue. These always got covered with an odd dust coating when stored in a bag and box? S&R just shrugged when I asked about it, clearly no idea! The boots performed really well though.
latest report
Hmmm, my #2 boots live in Champoluc. TNT Explosion 8s. Does this imply I should bring them into the Zoo for replacement? Diablo Pro 130s would be nice. Yum, yum!
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
Hmmm, my #2 boots live in Champoluc. TNT Explosion 8s. Does this imply I should bring them into the Zoo for replacement? Diablo Pro 130s would be nice. Yum, yum!

Bring them by, i'll do my best. Please don't ski in them.
ski holidays
snowbunny, I've only noticed trouble in that colour; grey/charcoal and green metalflake have lasted long enough for the liners to dry rot.

Interestingly, I haven't heard even apocryphal report of trouble in the orange hard skate shells (Marathon, Marathon Pro).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For anyone who is interested I have been skiing on 2 ocassion when a member of our group had the shell of his orange boots crack and break up. Both times the boots were around 4 years old and they were in the same season 4 years ago, I would doubt any would have survived this long to still be in use. rolling eyes
latest report
Dypcdiver, I have an intact pair
snow conditions
David Murdoch, But they could explode any minute. Take them to your nearest Police Station now! wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, or find some kindly boot shop owner to sell you a new pair... Wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, they gave me some funny looks and threatened to charge me for wasting police time. No wonder "terrorists" have an easy time round here.

Disgusted of Clapham Junction.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy