Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowbusting CO2 "at highest level for 650,000 years" - Antarctic scientists

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
European scientists studying ice core samples in Antarctica have concluded that concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane - the strongest greenhouse gases - are higher than at any time in the past 650,000 years.

The ice samples have been extracted from as deep as 3,270m, which equates to drilling nearly 900,000 years back in time.

This report by Richard Black on BBC News online.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-11-05 18:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, any chance you could get your own forum entitled "Doom and gloom, skiing's had it and we might as well give up" Sad

All these crisis threads are detracting from the joy of the Scottish mountains getting a real pasting !! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From what Ive read about climate change as the gulf stream cools England will get really harsh winters with lots of snow. So no more needing to go abroad to ski
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what Ive read about climate change as the gulf stream cools England will get really harsh winters with lots of snow. So no more needing to go abroad to ski
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, The first step in problem solving is to identify it. (Greenhouse gases) Then solve or correct it. It's about time we faced the greenhouse gases stopped looking the other way. Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
carbon dioxide and methane - the strongest greenhouse gases

Not so - water vapour absorbs more IR radiation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just the last couple of days we actually have talked on CO2 and methane and it seems that the CO2 level is almost saturated (i.e. adding more can only make a very limited difference). That being the case (I cant reference im afraid) then I might think we'd be better concentrating on other gases which are way below saturation.... Methane I would think most important.

Im guessing that although water is important, it is a very tough variable to model given that the water in the atmosphere will depend directly upon the temperature..... in other words the water present and the temperature 'talk' to each other, unlike the other GHG's.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns, yes, and of course some of the H2O condenses into clouds which reflect sunlight and have a cooling effect (in the day). Very complicated. I haven't seen anything about CO2 getting saturated. How does that work, i.e where does the excess go? Dissolved in the oceans? Any references?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, that "CO2 level is almost saturated" comment slightly mystified me too. As it's a gas I don't see it can be "saturated" until it's 100% - even if it's cold enough at altitude to cause it to solidify and the concentration is >SVP I'd expect the condensate to then fall to a level where it revapourises, and just form a layer lower down. What may have been implied is that the concentration is sufficient to absorb say >70% (or 90%, or whatever level of approximation this model is working at) of the radiation at the characteristic CO2 absorption frequencies, so addition of any further gas will not make a significant difference to the amount of energy absorbed. This is just a guess though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you consider a gas, it will have a specific 'rate' of absorption. So (for instance), radiation at energy X might drop to half of it's initial intensity if you pass it through a length of gas Y(with a given density). It of course follows that there will be a point where the transmitted radiation intensity becomes so small as to be negligible and would be considered zero. This would the 'saturation' point.

Given that the radiation we are speaking of will be relatively weak and the thickness of the gas layer, the density needed would be reasonably low. In other words, you wouldn't need a 100% CO2 atmosphere, nor would you need it at anywhere solid density.

Of course I do reiterate that this was information passed over dinner (admittedly amongst colleagues with good understanding of all this).

Adam
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blaring headlines get attention. But to what effect?
Is the intention to alarm or inform? So lets put this in some sort of context.
Global average temperature has been changing, as has the CO2 level.
But the earth was not formed 650,000 years ago - it is much older than that.
CO2 and Temperature have been going up and down since the world began. And the relationship between the two is not as simple as some people suggest: look at the Late Ordovician Period. This was an Ice Age while the CO2 concentrations then were nearly 12 times higher than today.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
Blaring headlines get attention. But to what effect?
Is the intention to alarm or inform? So lets put this in some sort of context.
Global average temperature has been changing, as has the CO2 level.
But the earth was not formed 650,000 years ago - it is much older than that.

Not if you believe some more devout religious types! rolling eyes

That is a thought though..... with a religious view, what would it really matter what man did, after all there is something infinitely more powerful.....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yeah. women
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
in the short term i think math modelling shows a warming of the ocean sea surface temperatures which could create more unpredictable and energetic weather. storm fronts could be more moisture laden and on high ground this means more snow doesnt it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reports on BBC WS radio this a.m. that the Gulf Stream has reduced in strength by some 30% in the last 12 years and they predict much colder winters for UK and parts of Western Europe. One degree celsius drop in average temps. Doesn't sound much but apparently the effects will be most noticeable. Also reports that rapidly shrinking glaciers in Nepal are affecting the feed waters for the Yellow River.
I believe in the phrase a snowHead coined ...... GLOBAL WEIRDING.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy