Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I cheating?

Poster: A snowHead
I've done about a weeks skiing, like blues but not yet ventured on a red. Going for a week next Saturday and want to know what length of ski I ought to be on?

I've been using 150cm at SnoZone to practice as find it easier to turn! (just delving into the world of parallel)

I'm 1.8m tall - what length ski ough to be on next week from the hire shop?

Cheers,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's no hard and fast rule but I'd say 150 are a bit short for you. Shorter skis do make turning easier but they're also a bit more unstable at speed. For your height you probably want to be looking at anything between 160 and 170.

My advice, though, would be not to get too hung up on ski length. The actual difference between 160s and 170s are negligible on piste, IMO. A lot of the difference is all in the head.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stick to 150, progress with what you know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Start with what you know, you can always try longer skis by swopping them in the hire shop as the week goes on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc,

+1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chopkins13, just let the man in the hire shop give you some. Don't even look at the length, just ski with them and don't worry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
170's will be too long for you at your current level IMO and may actually hinder your progress. Don't be in a rush to get longer ski's that time will come. agree with feef, start with something on the shorter side and see how you go. I am about the same height and my first two weeks hire skis were 158's. I tried some 172's once way too early for my then skill level and had a nightmare on them so went back on a shorter ski until I had learned to control them properly.

Most decent hire shops are happy to change skis for you if you can be bothered to do it its a good way to go.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say that if you are feeling your skis are squirrely (unstable) in a straight line at speed, that's the time to consider changing for longer. Current thinking emphasises your weight rather than height in deciding ski length. You might find http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/blog.aspx?tag=skisizing useful - personally I like a ski a few cms shorter than that suggests.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dogwatch, nice use of the word "squirrely" Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm 175cm tall and like to ski on something about 155 - but most recently the hire shop ended up giving me 148s and I had a ball.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go on their recommendation. At your height 150cm is too short imo, a ski that short will have a very small window for fore/aft balance for you. Weight is also a big factor as is ski stiffness/type.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chopkins13, also depends in your weight. If you are slightly built then shorter will be ok, although imo 150 is probably too short..170? If you are heavier or heavy then you might need a longer (or stiffer) ski. Be honest with your hire man or girl and tell him/her how many weeks you have skied..and they will put you on what they think. You can always change them if you find them unmanageable.
Can't tell from your post if you are male or female..girls tend to be lighter at a given height than men (sweeping generalisation). Enjoy, and get some lessons!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shorter skis are only unstable, at the sort of speeds a not red / not parallel skier might reasonably attain, if there's something very wrong with balance (generally, being in the back seat). If there is such a problem, it should be exposed and corrected, not masked by using a longer ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
150 is too short for you even as a beginner. Yes, they will be easier to turn, but you should be learning to turn them correctly. With skis that are too short you might be picking up bad habits, initiate turns by lifting a ski or turning too quickly etc. as they will be more forgiving of these sort of things. You will get comfortable and when you finally decide to move to the correct length you may end up struggling and having to re-learn. I also can't see how longer skis will mask the back seat position as they will be harder to control unless you are properly balanced. And things like getting correct balance should be almost automatic before moving on to the next level.
snow report
chopkins13, bet you wished you'd never asked now. it is rare for SH's to agree!
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu, +1
snow report
Hmmmm so I'm hearing what I feared - I'm on too short skis and need to take a couple of days of 'pain' getting used to some longer ones in order to benefit my continued development! Sad

Think I'll see what the hire shop offer me and then see how I get on, I'm a relatively heavy chap at 93kgs so I suspect left to their own devices they might well give me 170's!!
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
chopkins13, just let the man in the hire shop give you some. Don't even look at the length, just ski with them and don't worry.

Another +1!

It's still early days, don't overthink it- go with what's recommended for you in the hire shop, and then get some instruction & feedback when you're out there. You might be surprised at how it pans out! And you can always change if you hate what you're given Happy
ski holidays
Mention in the shop that you are a beginner. 165 in a suitable ski should be about right.
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:
Hmmmm so I'm hearing what I feared - I'm on too short skis and need to take a couple of days of 'pain' getting used to some longer ones in order to benefit my continued development!

No, you're not. There isn't a 'right' length (or width) of ski, nor even a 'right' range really unless you go ludicrous. "Too short" just means they will be really turny, which can be good fun in and of itself anyway. I used to love skiing on things which 'by the book' were a good 10cm or more 'too short'. Over the years I've skied skis between about 161 and about 185, and ridden snowboards between about 155 and 168. You'll find they have different characteristics, and that adjusting between lengths will take a bit of 'tuning in'. But actually, skiing a range of lengths and widths will just make you a better skier, as you'll be adapting to the equipment rather than relying on some kind of muscle memory or precise formula.

Remember when you first learnt to parallel park a car. The instructor was probably all like 'line up your wing mirror with that petrol cap, then turn the wheel exactly 13/17ths' and so on. All of a sudden you pass your test, and you're in a different car and NONE OF IT WORKS anymore.

It's a bit like that.
ski holidays
I would also add that its a lot easier out of a snow-dome. learning on a 150 in a snowdome is probably a good idea, makes it easier to turn in a cramped environment on fake snow.

Out on a real piste you will probably find a jump up in ski length to 160 you won't even notice and if you do get given 170's then its still not going to be out of your grasp, because you will have a lot more choice about where you make your turns etc.

I remember the first time I skied on snow after learning back in blighty it was night and day different, but in a good way.

G
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:
I've done about a weeks skiing, like blues but not yet ventured on a red. Going for a week next Saturday and want to know what length of ski I ought to be on?

I've been using 150cm at SnoZone to practice as find it easier to turn! (just delving into the world of parallel)

I'm 1.8m tall - what length ski ough to be on next week from the hire shop?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, if I were you I would go for X Wing 191cm.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy