Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Ski helmets - of questionable value" - the view of a physicist, engineer, and on-off user

Poster: A snowHead
I dont like wearing a helmet .... its un cool .... but it keeps my ears warm.
Why dont ice dancers wear helmets ?
I cant get my head around wearing a helmet on a bike either ... I tried it last week.
I did find it quite a benefit to pull the goggles down though..
I'm immune from funny looks thank God
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
krakatoa wrote:
An Aspen skier, Jonathan Stuart, died yesterday from hitting a tree. Ski Patrol believe that his head, which was helmeted, took the impact.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/160849
If he skied, at speed, head first into a tree, it was always going to be unlikely that a helmet would save him. As jules444 points out
Quote:
I am pretty sure we all must realise that helmets can save lives but that they are not going to perform miracles.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps a big twig got caught in a vent, caused massive deceleration and subsequent fatal injury.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
After offering my opinion a couple of times in the Schumacher thread I left the warm and cozy internet and traveled to an actual ski resort.

At the end of a long day wearing my helmet and taking risks, pushing the limits of my ability on a snowboard (i.e not great - 50mph+,jumps off side hits, 180's, switch riding and and any nice slack country I could scope from the lifts) I was cruising down an almost empty blue home run when I stopped paying attention, caught an edge and smacked my head against the hard packed piste:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4antlinrbz37dn/20140109_143625.jpg

It seems I am fine, if a little shaken and did not really enjoy my final two days on holiday. Nobody knows what the result would have been had I not been wearing my helmet - I am just very glad my family and friends did not have to find out.

*any idea how to make the pic show directly in the post?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow Hound, looks like you might, just possibly, need a new helmet? wink
Shocked Shocked Glad you're OK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bruisedskier, you might like to know that krakatoa and Comedy Goldsmith are the same person.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some helmet wearers seem to have an obsession about justifying their position, which is really not necessary. If you want to wear a helmet then do so, but don't waste your time trying to convince non helmet wearers that they do not have side effects like blinkered vision, failing to look,bringing the lift saftey bar down to quickly, inability to hold their equipment safely on buses. It just makes you look way to unconcerned of your blind actions & it is defintily not cool .

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
bruisedskier, you might like to know that krakatoa and Comedy Goldsmith are the same person.
Really? FFS!

stanton,
Quote:

Some non-helmet wearers seem to have an obsession about justifying their position, which is really not necessary
FIFY
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pam W - I would be concerned about your comment - "because it plays me music" - I dont think anything that limits or reduces one's sensory perceptions and awareness of others is a good idea on the slopes whether on or off piste, the shouted warning from another skier can help to avoid a colision or other danger ('ware rock/drop off/cliff/etc ahead").
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow Hound,
Quote:

At the end of a long day wearing my helmet and taking risks, pushing the limits of my ability on a snowboard (i.e not great - 50mph+,jumps off side hits, 180's, switch riding and and any nice slack country I could scope from the lifts) I was cruising down an almost empty blue home run when I stopped paying attention, caught an edge and smacked my head against the hard packed piste:

Clearly from the point of view of the anti-helmet brigade, minus your helmet you would have not taken undue risks and had paid more attention. wink wink wink

I'm all for compressions shorts making skiing safer as it enables better control for longer, resorts should make them compulsory wink

It's all bollox really, wear what you wanna wear, just don't whine on about it.

Glad to see that a creche has been created for this subject. Very Happy Even more glad you're safe and ok (thanks to your helmet) snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 12-01-14 17:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I see no sign of split personality though wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FFIRMIN wrote:
Pam W - I would be concerned about your comment - "because it plays me music" - I dont think anything that limits or reduces one's sensory perceptions and awareness of others is a good idea on the slopes whether on or off piste, the shouted warning from another skier can help to avoid a colision or other danger ('ware rock/drop off/cliff/etc ahead").

Does it really matter if you listen to music? With these ear 'warmers' hardly hear a thing anyway.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Three times over the Christmas break my head was clonked by the safety bar on chair lifts, I was wearing a helmet so no damage to my head ..... we will never know had I not been wearing a helmet if a) It would have hurt or B) wouldn't have happened because the surface area of my head was larger.
One things for sure a couple of years ago a safety bar was brought down on my unhelemeted head, it hurt like hell, I saw stars for the duration of the lift ride and had a lump on my head afterwards.
Make of that what you will.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would it help if we went back to arguing about snowboarders, that brings the helmeted and un-helmeted together. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow Hound wrote:
*any idea how to make the pic show directly in the post?

Yes... you use an img tag. You can't do it with your specific image, though... the link you have doesn't point at an image, but instead a dropbox webpage containing an image. The direct dropbox URL for the image doesn't end in .jpg, so the forum doesn't understand it (because bbcode is stupid).

Put your image somewhere else, and you'll have a better chance of embedding it.

stanton wrote:
Some helmet wearers seem to have an obsession about justifying their position, which is really not necessary.

...but opposing arguments are totally fine, apparently. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yes, let us go back to the car-design of the 50th of 60th, then we will be more careful on the streets, and why use this stupid safety-belts or airbags - they anyway have no effect when we hit a tree sideways with 100 km/h. Stupid - when only tested at lower speed. Useless.

Statistic is a difficult subject, especially when used by other researchers, who think they know about data.

(without smilies, blink).
ski holidays
^^ I don't wear an airbag, and have no option with seat belts. I have never needed either.
ski holidays
allanm - yes I'm sorry if you disagree but I do think it matters that one should be able to hear what is going on around one when skiing. I think one downside of wearing helmets may be the reduction in hearing and to add in music will deaden surrounding sound further. I know it is lovely to have rhythmic music to ski to but it can be too easy to be lulled into a cocoon of self absorption which puts both and wearer/listener and other skiers at greater risk, IMHO but others may of course disagree. I know if I had children I would insist they wore helmets but for me? I am not convinced as yet but I am open to persuasion and I may yet be seen on the slopes in one, never say never.
snow report
FFIRMIN, Beautifully put!
I was only saying that if you can't hear a damned thing anyway having music is of little consequence. We're not actually in disagreement. I personally have never listened to music whilst sking and the one season I did wear a helmet I removed the ear thingies as they certainly did affect my hearing.
latest report
Quote:

Quote:

I certainly would never consider letting my daughter ski without a helmet

and you wear one too, presumably? It always amuses me to see families out cycling and only the kids are in helmets - not the breadwinners/carers

Yes I do wear one too - for both skiing and cycling. Apart from me wanting to protect my head, keep it warm and have somewhere to park the goggles I think it is important to lead by example.
snow report
There is no knowing when I fall which bit of me I am about to clobber, it could be legs, arms, back, backside, neck or my head. OK, I don't want to ski down the mountain in a suit of armour which would be impractical, but there are practical precautions I can take to protect my head should that by some chance be in the firing line, just as I wear gloves which are a pretty practical alternative to frost bite (I'm sure real skiers don't wear gloves) and just as wear eye protection against snow blindness. So I wear a helmet, I might never bash my noggin, but if that eventuality ever occurs perhaps the outcome won't be as bad as if I didn't. The bonus is that it keeps my head warm. If I've got to wear something on my head to keep it warm (which I'd have to on 80% of the days I go skiing), then again it might just as well be a helmet as a beany IMO. I'd be interested to know why a helmet is seen as being so much more unacceptable than wearing a beany hat - which lets face it is hardly the most fashion conscious item on the planet.
snow conditions
FFIRMIN, +1. I used to ski listening to music, but came to the conclusion it wasn't really very safe. All too frequently I had the willies scared out of me by people overtaking me if whom I was completely unaware?
snow conditions
FFIRMIN wrote:
allanm - yes I'm sorry if you disagree but I do think it matters that one should be able to hear what is going on around one when skiing. I think one downside of wearing helmets may be the reduction in hearing and to add in music will deaden surrounding sound further.

I find my ear pads offer no more deafening or deadening than a beanie does. And if I thought it did, I'd remove the ear pads.

However, I agree with the listening to music thing.
ski holidays
I dodnt notice any difference with my hearing when wearing a helmet? I can still hear folks approaching from behind (you know, on the rare occasion anyone skis faster than me) and I ensure I dont make any unexpected movements. I dont think listening to music is a good idea.
snow report
allanm wrote:
^^ It's OK bringing up one exception - there will always be.. but what about all these hundreds who would have been killed yesterday had they not being wearing a helmet. They aren't news - are they?

I can't quite decide if you're being ironic - i have skied for 25 years without wearing a helmet, and i've never had any sort of head injury, nor have I ever seen one - personal anecdote granted, but if there were hundreds of incidents every day you'd think i'd have seen one, wouldn't you?

Incidentally - just bought one as i'm sure there's a benefit in reducing relatively minor (although unpleasant) injuries, and i'm firmly in the "it can't do any harm" camp, so i thought i might as well give it a go.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 12-01-14 19:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Not only that but some helmets are designed to NOT cover the ears if the user doesn't want this.
latest report
andy from embsay wrote:
allanm wrote:
^^ It's OK bringing up one exception - there will always be.. but what about all these hundreds who would have been killed yesterday had they not being wearing a helmet. They aren't news - are they?

I can't quite decide if you're being ironic - i have skied for 25 years without wearing a helmet, and i've never had any sort of head injury, nor have I ever seen one - personal anecdote granted, but if there were hundreds of incidents every day you'd think i'd have seen one, wouldn't you?

Incidentally - just bought one as i'm sure there's a benefit in reducing relatively minor (although unpleasant) injuries, and i'm firmly in the "it can't do any harm" camp, so i thought i might as well give it a go.

Blimey, skied for 25 years without wearing a helmet, and never had any sort of head injury.

Obviously not trying hard enough!

BTW not sure 'ironic' is the right word wink
latest report
No matter what your thoughts are on wearing a helmet at the moment [at least] it's a question of choice, that is for adults as most children in ski school are obliged to wear them & I for one am happy with that choice long may it continue.

As with wearing a seat belt many people would argue that they would prefer not to but as the law states we must adhere to, I remember when you could ride a motorbike without Puzzled

Anyway I cycle & ski & always wear a lid, but thats my decision & I have no issue with those that choose to go commando as such Laughing

Either way enjoy the hills & keep safe Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Pam W - I would be concerned about your comment - "because it plays me music" - I dont think anything that limits or reduces one's sensory perceptions and awareness of others is a good idea on the slopes

oh yes, it's a while since we had an argument about listening to music whilst skiing. Off we go.......

I have only had one collision in loads of years of skiing (mostly with music) - and I broke my pelvis - and I wasn't listening to music at the time as I was skiing with my brother in law. Which just goes to prove, if some of the (propter hoc) arguments on recent threads are anything to go by, that it's far safer to ski with music. wink

What kind of logic would make a parent insist on a child wearing a helmet if they don't wear one themselves?
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:
What kind of logic would make a parent insist on a child wearing a helmet if they don't wear one themselves?

The logic that takes every effort to protect a child to the time when that child is mature enough to form its own opinions. The decision not to wear any form of protection is a personal one . . . one that I believe does carry a certain amount of public responsibility when it comes to insurance costs, culpability in one's disabilities etc. . . . but that has an age related application. It's everybody's responsibility to care for our children in whatever way fits that responsibility . . . caveat . . . within a level of common sense.

Technology has reached the point where it is possible to include personal data recording in much of our protective equipment and I would sincerely be interested in equipping a large sample of snowHeads with accelerometer/gps/ helmet/body data recorders and conduct an active research project into just how the variables in any incident measure. I'm thinking of a something that would attach to a goggle strap as a standard recorder.
snow report
Quote:

I dont let my 7 year old go to the shop on her own, but I do Laughing
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Technology has reached the point where it is possible to include personal data recording in much of our protective equipment and I would sincerely be interested in equipping a large sample of snowHeads with accelerometer/gps/ helmet/body data recorders and conduct an active research project into just how the variables in any incident measure. I'm thinking of a something that would attach to a goggle strap as a standard recorder.

http://www.wearnotch.com/
latest report
Daishan, There's a PhD project there within snowHeads wink

joined their newsletter, doesn't seem to be in production yet.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 12-01-14 20:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, Perhaps a rather irresponsible attitude. What if something should happen to you on the way? What about the rest of the family. Give one of the kids old a list. Spread the load.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Daishan, There's a PhD project there within snowHeads wink

Wouldn't want to get pulled any further into the black hole that is helmet debates Neh Neh
ski holidays
pam w, how many cries for help from someone just out of eyesight may you have missed whilst humming along?
ski holidays
Yes, Bit like the 'I haven't had an accident in 50yrs driving'.... But look at the trail of infuriated motorists behind!
snow report
Quote:

how many cries for help from someone just out of eyesight may you have missed whilst humming along?

Laughing Laughing Laughing getting desperate now, dode.

Shimmy Alcott, that's perfectly logical (you can make decisions about road traffic etc which a 7 year old can't). But if a parent believes that their child is protected (to a degree) from a head injury by a helmet, why wouldn't they want to protect themselves in the same way - parents are pretty important, after all.

Masque - I don't buy that argument at all (ie you insist on doing it your way till they are able to make their own decisions). If I were a 12 year old whose Dad insisted I wore a helmet but refused to wear one himself I'd be extremely unimpressed; don't do as I do, do as I say. Terrible parenting. wink
ski holidays
Not desperate at all.
latest report
allanm, dont worry, I do wear a helmet. On the MS thread I think I actually said that I started wearing a helmet as I made the kids wear one so why wasnt I? I was just having a joke, re. the shops, but the point is reasonably valid - young children are not as well equipped as adults to make crucial decisions to keep them safe (oooo, this is potentially a whole new can of worms!).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy