Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what its like in Serre Chevalier during the FRENCH half term (22nd Feb)? I've heard it can be really busy. Any bottle necks on the lifts? Thanks everyone!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied a season there and never remember waiting more than a few minutes although the resort does get some bad press on this front. Skied la plagne last year and serre Che is a dream
Compared to that. Great resort btw!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there during UK half term last year and it was French holidays for certain regions. Was very busy esp first thing in morning - bit of a bottleneck then. Good resort - lots of choice of runs. Was very quiet over Monetier side.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jakemanc, I much preferred La Plagne to Serre Che.

La Plagne gets such a bad press on here...

Anyway in answer to the OP, sorry I have no idea, but many snowHead know the area well and can advise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
deejaybee, there will some queues at the main lifts first thing, particularly when ski school is setting off, but nowhere near as bad as other places I've skied (and sorry Honeybunny, but that includes 5 times to La Plagne). It is also the first Paris week, so will probably be the worst of all. Expect queues too at Serre Ratier, Proral and the Vallons chairlift. Once out of the main bowls and spread out it isn't too bad. Monetier sector will be quieter, as well as the runs down to Aguilette Chair (Les Eduits) from Prorel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells,

Hi again, just noticed this post and as i mentioned on the snow report thread, just a few questions if you dont mind

based on what you have said above and assuming the ski schools do 10-12 & 2-4 it would be better to go out before those times ?

we are in Salle les alpes and would like to watch the rugby internationals on sat and sun 22nd & 23rd could you advise where would be best to go ?

we will probably eat out at a restaurant most nights which ones would you recommend, the closer the better ?

oh and i have booked a place with Alpine Transfers from Turin Airport at 11:30 am which will drop me off in the la salle for euro 48 which i will add to the snow thread for anyone who is thinking of travelling to Turin

thanks rjmm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjmm, ski school normally leaves at 9.30, or even 9am in school holidays, so yes, head out early. Avoid going back down around 12 and 4 when the ski schools return. Rugby will be on in most of the bars I think, but they will probably advertise it. Good restaurants up in le Bez, also Mojos, Eau Petit Pont and a couple more in Villeneuve La Salle over the river. Distance will depend on where your accommodation is situated. We tend to be based in Monetier as that is where our apartment is.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells,

thanks, staying in Le Bez at the bottom of the frejus lift, so i assume you are talking about le petit lard ? i noticed a restaurant called la marotte over the river had some good reviews also so i think i might try and book a few as it seems it is going to be busier than normal for us, usually try and have a special night on thursday when a few others usually join us, do you think eau petit pont for that or is there a particular favourite you might reccomend dont mind a bus ride on thursday if neccesary, thanks again for your help

rjmm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the Eau Petit Pont is sort of on a corner with a pathway to the entrance, then +1 for the place from me....if it isn't, then I put it down to the wine consumed... Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore,

looks like it on google maps, thanks i will give them a call

cheers

rjmm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjmm, there is a few places up in Le Bez, Pastelli does a roast suckling pig on a Wednesday evening.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells, that sounds just perfect thankyou, just noticed you have a durham location also, so not far from me in Darlington !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You might have to queue on the lifts that week, but not for long - as Hells Bells says, it's much quieter in general than other resorts.

You'll probably find the rugby is on at La Grotte, https://www.facebook.com/lagrotte.serrechevalier
Biggest & busiest bar in Serre Chevalier ...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
seem to remember that rugby was in la grotte last time I was there
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dinks77, dan100,

thanks guys, i will give the once over

looking at the piste map, what are the 3 black runs like coming off eychauda ?

it looks like casse de boeuf is the way back for us wondering what that was like too, i can also see a route via prairies and bez picking up route frejus

i can see there are a few people on here with the knowledge any info would be welcome

nothing like forward thinking, i dont go for another month !
ski holidays
dinks77, dan100,

thanks guys, i will give the once over

looking at the piste map, what are the 3 black runs like coming off eychauda ?

it looks like casse de boeuf is the way back for us wondering what that was like too, i can also see a route via prairies and bez picking up route frejus

i can see there are a few people on here with the knowledge any info would be welcome

nothing like forward thinking, i dont go for another month !
ski holidays
rjmm, Casse du Beouf should be fine, steep in parts, but really only a good red. Some bits intersect with the blue Marteau. Piste du Bez is fine too, but will be busy with Club Med guests. The blacks from the Eychauda drag are often closed but are good when they aren't wink. I've not been up there for a while, it was pretty windswept last time I was. Website suggests they are closed at the moment too, and they are some of the only pistes not open, so I guess the Eychauda drag lift will also be closed. My favourite runs to escape the crowds are the runs off the rather slow Aguilette chair below Prorel . Have enjoyed almost deserted slopes just after New Year, and some nice powder at the side of the pistes to play in. Head back to Serre Ratier for lunch at the Troll.

snow report
Prairie is usually unpisted and very mogulled if it is open.If closed when you get there, you have to continue on the green piste Frejus until it meets Piste du Bex To get to Piste du Bez, take the blue Lacets which runs past the Vallons de Cucumelle chairlift and then Goulet which goes down to top of Pontillas gondola and Frejus chair. It is a bit of a bottleneck there though, so if you can go another way, I would do so.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
rjmm, Casse du Beouf should be fine, steep in parts, but really only a good red. Some bits intersect with the blue Marteau. Piste du Bez is fine too, but will be busy with Club Med guests. The blacks from the Eychauda drag are often closed but are good when they aren't wink. I've not been up there for a while, it was pretty windswept last time I was. Website suggests they are closed at the moment too, and they are some of the only pistes not open, so I guess the Eychauda drag lift will also be closed. My favourite runs to escape the crowds are the runs off the rather slow Aguilette chair below Prorel . Have enjoyed almost deserted slopes just after New Year, and some nice powder at the side of the pistes to play in. Head back to Serre Ratier for lunch at the Troll.

Those two runs are really nice and always quiet. If snow conditions are good the red all the way down to Briancon is an epic run, but take a while to come back up as you've dropped nearly 1500 metres. The reds through the trees in Monetier are fun in the afternoons. Casse du Beouf is a a great run, and is tree lined for the majority. I've never got over to the Eychauda drag.
snow conditions
deejaybee, and the good thing about it is that if you end up at the wrong end of the mountain on the final run of the day, the excellent ski bus will take you back home.
snow conditions
Helen is far more knowledgeable than I. Bus service is great during the day but dont rely on it to get you to get home from another village on the last bus service
snow conditions
Last bus from Monetier last season was about 11 at night. Last year the buses ran almost every 30 mins during the day until 7PM. I think then there was a bus at around 730, 830 and then the last bus at 11. We missed the 830 bus and had to kill a few hours in a bar with a very tired 11 year old lad. Not the best of nights. Then got back to our chalet to find ourselves locked out!!!
ski holidays
not great being in villeneux waiting for 11 bus and it doesnt show. taxi 50 euros
ski holidays
It has always worked when we've used it. This it the timetable for the night bus, and it was fairly accurate when we used it last season to get to and from Chantemerle. . http://www.autocars-resalp.com/_dynamique/revuesPresses01/fichiers/noctenbus-32.pdf

and the normal ski bus one with the normal evening buses shown.

http://www.serre-chevalier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ski-bus-serre-chevalier.pdf
ski holidays
in chantlemerle this year and cant imagine will be going out much in the evening
snow report
dan100, we normally just crash and watch DVDs now, or wander up into Monetier for a beer and an occasional meal out. Only go down the valley at night if we have friends staying down there. A few snowHeads have managed to prise us away from our nice warm apartment. Meal in Le Bez was one that was well worth it.
ski holidays
Hells Bells,

which restaurant Le Bez would you choose ?
snow report
rjmm, Petit Lard and Pastelli were both good on our previous visits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells,

wednesday and friday then, marvellous !
snow report
Hells Bells,

wednesday and friday then, marvellous !
snow conditions