Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys
Any recommendations for best place to stay and ski GM? We are self driving so don't need to stay in a particular resort. A nearby town would be good then we can drive to different ski areas each day. The plan is to be there from 8th Feb Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
deejaybee, Les carroz or Samoens are nice villages, LC is at the far or near end depending on your view of the GM, Samoens is fairly central, you need to get a Gondola up from Samoens with one or two runs back to resort conditions permitting though. LC has a gondola and a chair plus some locals beginners slopes, with a choice of return to resort runs. It's going to be a peak time with schools hols so when you go to Flaine go early as the run into the resort - Tourmaline gets busy and is a bit of a bun fight after 10am onwards, but once there the Flaine bowl offers some great runs, if you do a search you'll find lots of advice on ski area and food on the mountain etc. I'm a big fan of the GM enjoy. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you, great advice. I'm loping forward to it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry ! LOOKING forward to it Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffknight, I am told that the 6 day GM ski pass gives one day in the PDS included in price and that Les Gets is a 20 minute drive from Morillon. Does that sound right to you and is it worth doing that in Feb half term week when we are in Morillon. Have not skied GM or PDS before.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samoens if you're after a nice village and some local life, LC is similar but smaller although it is closer to the slopes, Morillon if you want a quiet location and Flaine for convenience and ski options
That said, we have a friend who always stays in Sallanches and uses it as a base to ski the GM, Chamonix, Megeve, Contamines, etc - great if you want to ski different areas each day
You could also ski the PDS - as jirac18 says it's close to the GM from Morillon & Samoens plus it's included within the GM pass
Like anywhere else, half term will be busy though
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geoffknight, which school holidays? France don't start till the 15th Feb so 8th Feb looks like a good week to go.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gämsbock, oops my error thought they started that week, it's the week after so the 8th will be fine.jirac18, The GM has plenty of skiing for a week, personally I wouldn't bother, if you've never been before. FWIW if you choose to do the Cascade run, it's 16km long, from the top of Flaine down to Sixt, where you get a bus to Samoens or Morillion, it will take out half a day, and once you've done the first 2-3 k it becomes a blue road, with a few uphill sections. When I finally did it on my 6th visit to the GM I felt it was not really worth it based on time taken and the quality of skiing you get. Other say they have enjoyed it though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jirac18 - There is plenty of skiing in the Grand Massif for a week so I would not bother driving to PDS.

Deejaybee - We chose Les Carroz as a base for the Grand Massif as it is closer to the skiing than Morillon village or Samoens. Les Carroz is a pleasant village, easily accessible from the autoroute and from there you can also drive to Flaine in 20 mins (if the conditions aren't right for skiing over to it). If your budget will stretch to it I'd highly recommend staying in Les Chalets de Jouvence, MGM apartments with a pool at the foot of the slopes. The Fronts de Neige apartments are also right on the slopes but less convenient for the village and very basic (but a lot cheaper). There are also lots of cheap self catering apartments in Morillon Les Esserts but once you've driven up there it would be less easy to drive off to other places.

I'm very envious of you being able to ski on the week of 8th Feb - hopefully you will have good snow conditions and it won't be busy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure PDS is included in GM pass. Season ticket gives a few away days at different areas but standard day/week ticket does not.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have stayed in Sixt a couple of times. Not convenient, as you have to drive to Samoens, but a really pretty village with some interesting characters. We stayed here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g784828-Sixt_Fer_a_Cheval_Grand_Massif_Haute_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes-Hotels.html . Simple lodgings, and no breakfast, but clean and quiet. We are at the moment staying in http://www.lesservages.com/. in Les Carroz. Clean modern and very convenient for the slopes. Less so for the town.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy