Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late season skiing (departing 15th March)

Poster: A snowHead
Because the boy has a skiing holiday booked with his school one day after we return from our annual 2 week ski holiday over the half term wink he keeps bragging that he's getting more days than me in a season and I hope you can all appreciate that this just isn't on!

So, he comes back for a week and then spends a week with my parents whilst the good lady and I spend a late week somewhere nice and cold.

I'd like some reccomendations please bearing in mind it will be fairly late in the season and there doesn't need to be any form of child friendly things to do.

Ideally I'd go in a catered chalet because we haven't done it for ages but the costs do seem hefty however I will be booking on the last minute to make the best choice in terms f weather and snow cover.

Any ideas from people who've skiied this late in the season before?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
homers double, you've been around long enough to know that 15 March isn't 'late season' by any strech! Thats positivly peak season.

I have generally been skiing that 'late' or later adn only one bad year where it rained a lot in Morzine but fresh snow in Avoiriaz so a little busy up there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
anywhere with a ski resort Wink as above - not late season for me - when you are starting to wear shorts at home, then that is late season!
I would tend to go somewhere a little higher, and depending on resort / slopes I might only ski the upper areas and come down in the bubbles - slushy snow with lots of people on it into resort is tedious!
but have often skied in april and you get great weather and a sun tan!

Alasdair
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best time of the year to ski IMV. Longer days, warmer sun, great snow depths.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best time of the season - just after the French holidays have ended. Leave it till last minute (week before) to book but in most years you wouldn't need to go particularly "high".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kat.ryb wrote:
homers double, you've been around long enough to know that 15 March isn't 'late season' by any strech! Thats positivly peak season.

I know, I know... My holidays have always been December throught to the end of Feb so to me it IS late, thats why I'm asking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Best time of the season - just after the French holidays have ended. Leave it till last minute (week before) to book but in most years you wouldn't need to go particularly "high".

Good tip on the holidays, thank you!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homers double - I asked a similar question before we booked up for La Plagne from 23 March this year - the responses I had were sufficient to convince me to book - I'm expecting weather to be fine, often quite warm, and the snow to be plentiful but with chances of ice and or slush and everything else in between.

Of course it could dump it down just before we go (as I believe it did in 2013 around this time) in which case it would be amazing. Equally, it could be a record breaking hot March and the conidtions lower down could be much worse, but you'd still be guaranteed plenty of skiing higher up.

First time I'll have been in anything but February so it's an experiment as far as we're concerned.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
homers double, Did you mean April not March. IMHO mid March is the peak of the season
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope, I've crossed my dates on this issue once before, hence us not going away the same week the boy is away. Its the 15th of March.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Best time of the season - just after the French holidays have ended

This
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well taking a quick 45 minute internet based straw pole has cheered me up no end.

Cheery guys (and girl) snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
homers double, i think you might find mid March a pleasant surprise.
December is dark and dull with dodgy conditions for the first half and then ghastly crowds for the second half.
March is jolly sunshine with long days, quiet pistes, minimal queues and lovely conditions.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm hovering over the "book now" button as we speak!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

March is jolly sunshine with long days, quiet pistes, minimal queues and lovely conditions.

the second half, at any rate. There are significant lift queues in French resorts for the first half of March.

homers double, Noooooooooooooo. Wait. The snow conditions at the end of March are anybody's guess just now! Indeed, the snow conditions at the end of January are anybody's guess, come to that. Low season in France. cheap accommodation widely available. And last minute bargains with the TOs if you prefer a package in a better known resort.
snow report
I booked several days last year early to mid March in Avoriaz. Loads of snow on the slopes, got slushy in the afternoon and rained one day. Otherwise it was a fab 3 days skiing. Going again this year end of Feb.
snow report
pam w wrote:

homers double, Noooooooooooooo.

Just kidding, it'll be a last minute but I think my mind is both made up and happier after this little discussion.
snow report
Its pretty much the week I always ski, don't stress too much about snow conditions. If its just two of you and you are flexible I would be inclined not to book until March and see what offers are availiable.
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:

This should really go into snowhead FAQ: March is really part of prime season! For skiing anyway. It's only some latter part of April when "late season" starts to apply...

Unless you're a TO and wants everyone to ski ONLY during half term. In that case, any date after that is "late"!
ski holidays
pam w, is of course correct about the first half of March: still involves French School Holidays.
Ok from the 16th onwards. snowHead
snow conditions
homers double, glad we could put your mind at ease! You'll love it. Spring skiing is way nicer than dark and cold early season.
snow report
I stopped reading at the point you said 15 March was late season.
In Surrey maybe
snow conditions
Thats my very favourite time to ski Laughing Its lighter later, the days are warmer, you oftern get a nice dump of fresh snow & I love sitting having lunch with a t-shirt only catching a few rays Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'll be going to Val D late March and it will be just fine - as always!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy