Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

three valley lift pass - buy it now, or wait till in resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we leave for the three valleys on 24 January and just wondering if there is any benifit to ordering lift passes before we get there to be delivered to us in uk? or is it too late? (2 weeks before we leave) heading to La Tania

can anyone tell me if i need to purchase the carre neige? or will my insurance pollicy do the same thing? I dont really understand it
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have never found a price difference for pre-purchase v's in resort purchase in 3V. They are very efficient, so you should only have to wait a few minutes to buy it in resort.

Have always relied on travel insurance only, but make sure your policy covers you for everything the carre niege does.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thats great thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo99,If you have a lift pass from a previous visit to the 3v's you could recharge it.
I have never seen any price saving by getting it before you travel though. It's more down to convenience.
If you are going with a tour operator, they can buy or for you. In the past my hotel has had it ready on the first ski day.
No queuing at the TO.
Personally I always take out carre neige but, if you do, make sure you keep the proof of purchase with you. As well as your E111 and travel/ski insurance details.
My understanding is that at €2 or €3 per day any requirement for piste rescue is covered, no forms to fill out, no negotiations with your insurance company, etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
polo99, we've been to La Tania a few times and I don't remember queueing for lift passes at the ticket office so i can't see the advantage in purchasing ahead. Maybe at some time there will be a big queue! At Christmas lift passes were offered on the transfer bus 'at the same price', but actually it worked out nearly £35 cheaper (on an 860Euro family pass) at the ticket office due to a difference in exchange rates used.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
balernoStu, we have the 3vs POS passes and we can top them up as required, it gives us the flexibility of adding a half jour if we get to resort (which we usually do) earlier. Have even done it on the transfer when we knew we were going to get into the hotel on time for a cheeky couple of hours.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We bought ours down in La Tania when we got there. We hummed and hawed cover the carte neidge bit but in the end decided that we'd kick ourselves fpor being so tight if anything happened to us or the kids on the mountain. In saying that, we may well have been covered with our insurance but weren't entirely sure and it just gave extra peace of mind for the cost of a couple of coffees in Courchevel wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1, interesting, i'll look into those if/when we're going again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99, The only way the question about carre neige insurance is if we know the terms of your insurance policy. If it is a winter sports policy there is probably no need to buy extra insurance, both companies will not pay out and indeed may argue about who should pay. If, however it is just a generic travel insurance policy then you will need carre neige. I do know people who do not take travel insurance at all but rely on EHIC and carre neige.
As to buying your ski pass in advance it really depends on how close your accommodation is to the lift pass office and whether you fancy the walk or not. It has been a long time since I have seen a lift pass queue in France.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
It has been a long time since I have seen a lift pass queue in France.

Queues of 15-20 minutes in Les Arcs 1800 just before New Year on both Saturday and Sunday mornings.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a lift pass from my TO New Year week and the Carre Niege was added to the card.

The trouble with that is that you can't 'see' that it was added. We did have a paper receipt but.....

Fortunately we didn't need to test the situation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can get discount pass if there are 2 or more of you, this can be got online
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks for all the replies folks. I was just worried we were going to have to queue forever for the passes and we arent one for queues. I was a bit worried about the carre neige. I am just about to take out a winter sports policy for the family it is with insureandgo? not really sure what i am looking at on the insureance. what does carre neige include so i can compare?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had an accident in Tignes at Christmas (30cm very deep gash in leg) the pisteurs called for the helicopter which was busy so I was sledded down the mountain, ambulance to the medical centre then down to hospital at Bourg Saint Maurice Sad Whilst my insurance paid for all that & my operation & overnight stay in hospital I will definitly buy carre neige next time as it saves all the hassle at the bottom of the mountain whilst been loaded into the ambulance when all your insurance details are needed. The bill for my trip in a sledge, ambulance to the medical centre then to hospital was 700 euros & that would have all been covered (as I understand) by the carre neige so for a couple of euros a day I think its got to be worth it-as one of the other posts says its only the price of a coffee in Courcheval 1850 Toofy Grin
When I went to collect my skis from piste security in Tignes on Christmas day the lady was VERY reluctant to hand me them back even though my insurance (Dogtag) had faxed through confirmation of payment, she wanted me to pay her the 700 euros on my credit card & claim it back. After much arguing that I had already paid for my insurance & they had guarenteed payment she gave me them back but was not happy.
It all made for a Christmas I'll remember for years to come rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have never carried my insurance details around with me whilst skiing, they are usually in a folder in the apartment. maybe i should start skiing with them in my pocket? I dont really know what would have happened if you hadnt been carrying the details?
snow report
polo99 wrote:
I have never carried my insurance details around with me whilst skiing, they are usually in a folder in the apartment. maybe i should start skiing with them in my pocket? I dont really know what would have happened if you hadnt been carrying the details?

Fortunatly Dogtag give you literally a dogtag to wear round your neck so I had mine on but Ive never skied with my E111 card & we only had around 80 euros with us for lunch/coffee & no credit card with us either. I had to send the OH skiing back to Val D'Isere where we were staying whilst I went down to Bourg in the ambulance then he brought all the details down with him along with a rucksack of clothes as by this point the very kind nurse in the medical centre had turned one leg of my salopettes into hotpants Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
im really glad you mentioned this. I always carry my phone so what i will do is make sure that i have in it my insurance policy number and emergency phone number. I always carry my credit card with me. I dont, however, have an E111 card, should I? would I have enough time to get these?
I know people are saying it is the price of a coffee in Courchevel but we are a family of 4 and for the week it is an extra 80 euros for carre neige as well as about the same for winter sports insurance.
snow report
If you going with a Tour operator, they can get the passes sorted for you anf have them ready. If you are in a DIY in a hotel, they can do the same. If you are in effect on your own, it normally only takes a few minutes at the ticket booths, just allow a little time.

IMO, you should definitely have EHIC cards for your family, if you apply now and if it arrives see it as a plus. They last years once you have them. We also carry a copy of the insurance as well as a CC, when we are on the hill.
Ameribel46, stated the Carre Niege stops all the pay on CC and claim it back 'discussions'. They were, in effect, holding the skis as hostage. If you have Carre Niege receipt, once they see it, it's all covered but remember to have the receipt as it does not appear on the lift ticket,
It's not like the UK, if you need recovering off the mountain or treatment. The normal course of action is that they require paying or an OK from the insurance company first. The person that has the CC with the available limit may not be in a position to do the paying.
I have never had to claim but I have seen the problems not having the correct cover or information to hand can cause.
It's your call (and money) but we consider it just part of the holiday cost now. If you are put off by the cost of this, just wait until you try and buy some food or drink on the mountain in the 3V's, particularly Courchevel. When we were on a tight budget, we always carried snacks or returned to the apartment at lunch time but that wasn't always very practical.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 12-01-14 23:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
So instead of buying winter sport insurance in UK, we should be buying carre neige? Is that correct? Someone above said no point having both as that could lead to arguments between the insurance companies over who should pay. We always purchase Snowcard wintersport insurance. So get a card and a bracelet to carry on piste, plus we have E111 and each always carry a cc. For the last 2 years we also have the policy document on our phones.

Can I ask about PoS system please? Are all lift passes in 3V PoS? We have last years passes and would happily recharge them. Or are PoS cards different and if so how do you get one?
snow conditions
Do your cards say POS on them, not sure if the general issued cards can be topped up. That is to say technically they obviously can, it's just they may not allow it. Probably easy enough to check on the s3v website (not that it's the most user friendly site)
snow report
I've found this thread really useful - I've got travel insurance but never have thought about the practicalities of having the right insurance details on me at all times. My documentation is normally back in my apartment, probably in a dark corner of my backpack.
Following this thread I'm going to make sure I have some basic essential information on me at all times and that my mates know where it is.
It's also a shame that people feel that they need Carre Niege rather than Winter Sports insurance because of the pressure they get in resort to pay up. I like the bracelet system that NE1 mentioned - feels like there should be a universally understood system so that the resorts can say 'yep, that's fine' in seconds rather than feeling hassled or held to hostage.
ski holidays
With a POS lift card you can get a Saturday lift pass half price online
snow report
I have never felt pressure to buy Carre Neige insurance, but the ticket sales staff always ask because the majority of people need it.

I have been rescued once on the mountain. Of course I had no insurance documents on me, but was still taken down the mountain in a blood wagon - no questions asked. The doctor treated me. I came back the next day paid for the medical treatment by credit card and likewise collected my skis. Then claimed off the insurance. The insurance paid up easily, but took a £50 excess and £50 by using their own exchange rate.

E111 was discontinued years ago and replaced by EHIC
snow report
Quote:

Can I ask about PoS system please? Are all lift passes in 3V PoS? We have last years passes and would happily recharge them. Or are PoS cards different and if so how do you get one?

P@S lift passes normally cost an addittional 3 euros and are clearly marked. It is not possible to top up on line the standard non P@S cards issued with daily/weekly passes. If you are going to return to the 3V then its worthwhile asking for a P@S when you buy your pass.

Quote:

With a POS lift card you can get a Saturday lift pass half price online

For a 3V Staurday pass its 20% discount online. For a Saturday Les Menuires local pass its half price online. Others may know about Courcheval/Meribel local pass Saturday discounts?
snow report
I don't think ours have P@S on them. If I buy a duo online in advance, will I get a P@s pass? Do they 'last' more than one sea don or us a P@S only valid for one season?
You are right the website isn't particularly user friendly. From what I understand the duo pass is only available online, is that correct?
latest report
Yes, the POS passes last more than one season, ours are currently on their 4 th year.
ski holidays
For an first online purchase the 3V lift pass companies will normally include a P@S card for free. They will replace them free of charge if they fail up to one year, however all my visitors have had the same card for years with no problems. The duo and trio discounts are also available at the ticket office.
latest report
^ thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I normally stick 10 euros, the EIHC, the lift pass, a copy of my travel insurance, and the Carre Neige in the same zip pocket (where they stay all week). I think I paid 2.80 per day in the 3V over Christmas, under 20 euro's. In the scheme of things really its neglible and my kids just have to point to the pocket if disaster strikes. You can't put a price on that.
ski holidays
NE1 wrote:
So instead of buying winter sport insurance in UK, we should be buying carre neige? Is that correct? Someone above said no point having both as that could lead to arguments between the insurance companies over who should pay. We always purchase Snowcard wintersport insurance. So get a card and a bracelet to carry on piste, plus we have E111 and each always carry a cc. For the last 2 years we also have the policy document on our phones.

NE1 It's not an either or situation, as neither give the cover I require. It's a package the plugs the gaps. I have EHIC, travel insurance (inc winter sports ) as well as using the carre niege. The winter sports insurance also covers piste closure, ski pack and skis as well as the usual travel items.
latest report
Ive just found our EIHC cards which I had applied for 3 years ago and stuck in a cupboard and attached to them it say something like "this does not replace holiday insurance as it does not cover repatriation etc" I have just spoken to an insurer for a quote and asked if the cover covered me being airlifted off the mountain etc and he said yes, so Im guessing that as long as I have my credit card with me to pay for the immediate excess or fees (so that I can claim at a later date) i should be ok?
ski holidays
Is carre neige only aplicable in France? It looks like it from their site.
snow report
Unlike travel insurance, I doubt that a carre neige or EHIC will get you repatriated to the UK in the event of something really nasty happening.
snow report
Carre neige & the EHIC most certainly wont get you repatriated but the carre neige gets you down the mountain by whatever means necessary & no need to worry about your skis been taken off you & having to go get them when your insurance company has guaranteed payment or you've paid on your credit card & have to it claim back so in my view its got to be worth the 2/3euros a day. By using my EHIC card my insurance company haven't deducted the compulsary excess that's on my policy so it was worth using but full winter sports insurance is a must.

Incidently my insurance have been fantastic, I filled in the claim form for the bits I'd had to pay out for (outpatient appointments, cost of drugs,taxis & my unused lift pass)& posted it tracked post on Friday 3rd, they signed for it on Monday 6th, wrote to me settling the claim on Wednesday 8th & the money is in my bank today (13th) which I think is pretty good service so thumbs up to Dogtag-recommended by fellow snowheads so thank you! Toofy Grin

Edited to say as Raceplate has so nicely pointed out my statement about carre neige not repatriating you was wrong but the rest of my post isn't wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 13-01-14 19:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
homers double, no, Carre Neige coverage "applies to metropolitan France and its bordering countries during
the amateur practice of a snow sport." So, pretty much all of mainstream skiing Europe except Austria.

xyzpaul, why don't you check before publically doubting something? Repatriation is one of the major selling points for Carre Neige.
snow report
meribel46,
Quote:
Carre neige & the EHIC most certainly wont get you repatriated

WRONG.
ski holidays
really? Oh please tell me more......
latest report
To save me having to correct everyone who makes inaccurate statements about Carre Neige and presents them as facts, this is the T&C's download page: http://www.carreneige.com/en/downloads.php

I suggest the English version if you're capable of comprehending it.
latest report
Raceplate, thanks for the attitude but I was genuinly asking as I really didn't think it did but I didn't expect such a sarcastic reply. Ive obviously been really lucky with the advice Ive had from other snowheads as I've never had a reply like that Puzzled
I'm more than happy to be told I'm wrong but it would have been nice in a decent manner.
snow conditions
meribel46, you didn't ask for advice or ask a question. You made a categorically incorrect statement.

This:
Quote:
Carre neige & the EHIC most certainly wont get you repatriated
is a statement, not a question. Questions have a question mark at the end of the sentence. If you don't understand that, then English comprehension clearly isn't your strong point.

Maybe if you checked your facts before making ignorant statements to the whole world, you wouldn't get a sarcastic reply?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy