Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites from Dublin?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of any TOs or packages from Dublin to the Dolomites? Looking to be based in reach of Sella Ronda if possible. Mid-Feb 2014. Happy to go independent but transfers seem tricky from airports reached from Dublin...

Thanks all in advance for your advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try flying from Belfast with an english TO!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Selva a few years ago with Inghams. They pulled out of Ireland the next year but you might get them from Belfast. Great skiing and food and the best scenery
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Fattes13, and Chick, anyone know what TOs might fly out of Belfast to Dolomites? Inghams, Crystal and Thompson don't...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5RED, I'm leading a school trip to Folgaria in Trentino with Topflight, a resort not featured in their brochure. Get in touch direct with their Dublin office and they may be able to package you up something Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
5RED, I suppose it depends on whether you are willing to put up with one stop or not and the length of transfer.
You can go direct Dublin to Venice but it looks rather pricey. But if you put up with a one stop on the way then getting transfer from Venice or Innsbruck is quite doable.
Or direct to Munich and train it down from there (eg to station near Kronplatz and Mountainsun will probably collect you if going to their place)?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
5RED, try Crystal http://www.crystalski.ie/ski-areas/italy-dolomites/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just had a look on Skyscanner and you may want to consider a flight (£45) to Manchester and then you could have a pick of TO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a feeling that the few guys from Ireland that did BB before, got flights from Dublin to Venice via Amsterdam? Think KLM/AirFrance do free baggage too?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crystal.ie only do the WESTERN Italian alps..

***edited because I cant tell my left from my right and following PAMW's post below***

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-02-14 23:22; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks moseyp, but albob is right, Crystal.ie don't do the Dolomites.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 10-01-14 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
briand6868 great idea, can I ask the dates of your trip? And whether you're looking forward to it or gritting your teeth? Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colletts, you will need to get to venice but they include transfers.

Air Lingus fly to venice at the right times
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
5RED, I'm going 17 - 24 Feb and really looking forward to it. We only have 12 students with 2 staff members so fingers crossed all will be well - my biggest worry is someone loosing a passport and having to hoof it to Rome to get a replacement. They're a good bunch of kids and all have skied before. Another idea for would be to fly to Venice with A/L but link up with Mountainsun - a good company with decent prices in cracking areas of the Dollies. Whatever you end up doing you'll have a great time and the Brucie Bonus is that the Dolomites are swamped with snow at the moment Smile
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
briand6868, thanks and good luck! Very Happy
snow conditions
Ryanair- Venice- Hire car...

Car hire not as much as you would think.
ski holidays
Ryanair- Venice- Hire car...

Car hire not as much as you would think.
latest report
Thanks all for the suggestions. In case anyone else is wondering, this is what we have ended up booking:
Independent booking hotel in Dolomites
Aer Lingus flights to Venice VCE airport
Shuttle bus from Venice airport to Val di Fassa - €35 return
snow report
5RED, That looks like a great trip - Val di Fassa looks like a beautiful spot, trip report required upon your return Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy When are you going ?
snow conditions
Quick reply back re my Dolomites trip:

- Very glad we didn't do car hire, as snow was five feet high on roadsides on our bus journey, and roads were closed the week before.

- Canazei absolutely full of Russians. They don't speak Italian, just English to the locals. Hence my Italian improved dramatically Smile Our Romanian hotel waiter told us stories about severe injuries caused to guests by drunk Russians. One of our group was almost badly wiped out on a steep red by a Russian dude who celebrated at the bottom of the piste by passing a hip flask around to his vodka lout mates. (They skied off before they could learn any of our hearty swear words.)

- Our Ski Shuttle transfer bus was 25% Italians, 25% Other nationalities, 50% Russians. The bus left Venice airport at 12 noon - the Russian couple sitting opposite started drinking immediately and continued for the 4-hour journey. On the return leg, I counted the various ankles and wrists in plaster as well as a couple of pairs of crutches - all belonged to the Russians.

Conclusion: Never going to the Dolomites again.
snow report
5RED, that sounds bad. Perhaps because I always go with a bunch of other sH's (and indeed we were there in Arabba the week before last) we've not encountered the "full of Russians" symptoms. I wonder whether Canazei has become a particular favourite of theirs. Certainly have encountered some in lifts etc around the Sella Ronda but not to the extent you mention, it seems to be a varied mix of nationalities. Still, we all have our different experiences and based on your report above I can see why you wouldn't risk it again.
snow conditions
I came back from Arabba on Saturday (15th) and I wasn't aware of a Russian all week ! :: I did, however, share a transfer coach with a party of 15 brits who were swigging from bottles of Tesco Brandy...
Perhaps there are good and bad in all nationalities?

p.s. -- me-thinks there are more Ruskies in France than Italy...
ski holidays
Don't worry albob, I hate drunken Brits too!
ski holidays
Quote:

crystal.ie only do the eastern Italian alps..

Puzzled if you go very far east of the Italian Dolomites don't you end up in Austria (or Slovenia?)
latest report
PAM - you are the only on the ball -- I meant the Western Italian Alps Smile i.e. resorts served by Turin airport......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy