Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BCA Tracker 2 or Ortovox 3Plus?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So what with my transceiver being 10 years old and a dual antenna version, plus the 'interesting' snow conditions this season and the fact that I have been collecting Snow and Rock vouchers at an alarming rate, I'm in the market for a new transceiver, and it needs to be a model that SAR sell.

I think I've narrowed it down to the BCA Tracker 2 and the Ortovox 3Plus, and wondered if anyone has experience of both, or knows anything that would meaningfully distinguish the two models. I was also looking at the Mammut Pulse Barryvox, but it seems a bit unnecessarily complex as well as being (even more) expensive.

I'd like it to have 3 antennas, and preferably not to be too enormous, but aside from that I just need it to be easy to use.

From what I've been able to glean from the websites, the Ortovox one looks like it has a more intuitive screen, esp. in a multiple burial situation, but BCA's reputation is excellent and I'm sure that this is for good reason.

I can't seem to find an Ortovox in stock in C London, otherwise I'd go and have a play with both.

Any help or advice appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i have a three plus , it was my first transceiver and i found it very easy to use , and in many live practice sessions in the backcountry has proved very reliable and simple to operate, the multiple burial procedure is very easy to use, the other benefit of the 3+ over the BCA 2 is the profile of it , as its very slim and is ultra comfortable to wear under jacket , whereas i found the BCA 2 a bit bulky
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
reviewing here.. Read the reviews not just the data chart

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Comparison.asp
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both very much - really useful.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BlueSky, try snow shepherd , he posts on here and does a great deal for Snowheads
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BlueSky, Use the tracker 2 great piece of kit very intuitive easy to use and find it has never let me down in practice and training. I have never had to use it in anger thankfully!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For the sake of completeness, I ended up going for the Ortovox 3Plus. There wasn't anything in it really - the decision probably hinged on the fact that my last transceiver was Ortovox. It is nice and easy to use and does what it says on the tin (in practice sessions anyway). It's slim and comfy to wear, with a good harness. The only thing that I had to remember was to turn it on - my last one couldn't be put on without it turning on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ortovox 3+, Hands Down. The Tracker 2 is bulky and not nearly as effective as the 3+. The 3+ has a mark function, whereas the Tracker has a "Special Mode" button that is designed to narrow the field of search. This mode is not very useful, and in fact is so special, it has not been included on the Tracker 3. Go figure....

Yup, I definitely like the 3+.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avalanche Academy wrote:
Ortovox 3+, Hands Down. The Tracker 2 is bulky and not nearly as effective as the 3+. The 3+ has a mark function, whereas the Tracker has a "Special Mode" button that is designed to narrow the field of search. This mode is not very useful, and in fact is so special, it has not been included on the Tracker 3. Go figure....

Yup, I definitely like the 3+.

Agreed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fattes13, +1
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy