Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will a 6 Year Old Manage the Cliffhanger?

Poster: A snowHead
As ever at this time of year I'm hoping to find a last minute cheap deal to go abroad at half term, but also planning the more likely option of a few days in Scotland as the backup plan.
The kids can ski reasonably, but aren't at all keen on the ubiquitous Poma lifts in Scotland with their generally knackered springs/shocks. We went to Cairngorm last Easter and had a good couple of days including doing the full length of the Ciste Gully down to the car park etc, but we mainly used the T bars and train.

I'd like to have the option of going to the west Coast, and Glen Coe in particular since I expect it to be infinitely quieter during half term week. But therein lies the problem, the only way to access mid mountain is via the Cliffy or the Wall T bar. The T Bar gets very steep and can be a nightmare sometimes when it's not been properly pisted, which leaves the Cliffhanger chairlift - but although I could happily get the wean on the lift at the bottom without slowing it down, I'm not sure I can get him off it again at the top without a stop.

Do they have age/height limits on the Cliffy; and will they slow it down at the top so we can get him off?

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know that particular chairlift, but chairlifts don't come in many varieties (basically detachable and non-detachable), and I'm happy going on anything with my 4 year old, let alone a 6 year old. I keep hold of her on the lift itself, and then give a suitable countdown and shove when it's time to get off. Getting on is definitely harder as the four year old is too short to get herself into the chair, but in my experience the person running the lift will lift them on - and even if they don't automatically do it I'm sure they'll help if you ask. Some lifts have minimum heights for riding by yourself, but if you're accompanying the child I don't think it will be a problem. This is all based on my experience in France rather than Scotland, but a chairlift is a chairlift really it doesn't matter where it is.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ROFL.
Quote:

but a chairlift is a chairlift really it doesn't matter where it is

Alas in this case it matters a great deal. I've also quite happily taken my kids on a chair lift since they were 4 years old. The key difference is that the Cliffhanger is a single seater chairlift. You'd need bloody long arms to hold on to him during the ride.
Another key difference is that it has no footrests and only the most basic rudimentary restraining bar.

anyone else taken weans on this particular lift?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 9-01-14 15:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kieranm, the Cliffy (Cliffhanger) is a very different and very rare chairlift. It has single seats, so adults can't directly accompany children on it. The take-off is not for wimps.

It's a classic, but I'd guess that the progressive operator of Glencoe (Andy Meldrum) would like to replace it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends on how you feel your child will get on. I used the cliffhanger when I was 6 so many many moons ago..... Well before they had the "restraining" bars. I'm pretty sure that the liftys used to slow it down for us on the bottom and top. Failing that use the wall t-bar with the little one between your legs. A thigh burner but you are in control.

And as I was always told by my French friends if you can ski in scotland you can ski anywhere so can only set your kid in good stead.....
Though glencoe is soft now. Piste bashers, poma across the platea instead of that oh so fun walk and even electricity in the cafe I hear.

Though I must go back it's been 25 or so years and I still think fondly about the place snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ahh, that is indeed a bit special.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The key difference is that the Cliffhanger is a single seater chairlift.

Ah. I don't think I would be happy putting my hypothetical 6 year old on that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
last year i saw a couple of the restraining catches on the bars were broken on some of the cliff hanger chairs, also I wouldn't bet on it being quiet at half term, my issue would be how alert the top liftie might or might not be if there was an issue when he/she got off.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
my issue would be how alert the top liftie might or might not be if there was an issue when he/she got off
I agree. The lift doesn't slow down (in fact comes in quickly and you have to get off very smartly) and the liftie's hut is not particularly close to the off ramp.... Confused

If you do want to try it TheGeneralist, an idea might be for you to go up first (having agreed that the liftie will slow the lift down to let your following child on); then either wait at the top to encourage them to get off as quickly as they can, or speak to the top liftie to slow the lift down.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The British Empire was built on training such as this.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been asked to help load a kid on the Cliffy a few times, so that Dad can go on the chair ahead to unload!

On one memorable occasion, "Dad" asked me to help the kid on with the words "You don't need to do anything, he can get on himself, just make sure he gets on OK and puts the bar down".

Cue me watching calmly as kid does absolute nothing at all to facilitate getting on the lift and gets creamed by the chair...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd I really shouldn't.....but..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My mates 4 year (twin boys) regularly used the cliffy last winter with a little help.
Though if its running a better bet is to stick them between legs of an experienced adult skier on the wall t-bar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also had the same worries last year, with my then 5 year old. My worry was if it stopped for any length of time, my wee one might think, I'll just jump off it doesn't look too high. Didnt go up in end, not just because of that though. This year I would like to do it, and was going Sunday, then realised the now 6 year old has a party (booo!). I couldn't remember the top being particularly fast getting off, but there would be two if us with him, so one would be in front and one behind, so the one in front would assess the getting off and tell the liftie at the top to slow down if a need, whether that would all go to plan at the time who knows! Shock

Think it would be easier than the tbar, trying it once anyway.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Cliffyhanger, as I remember, is/was a "skis on your feet" lift which caused the user to be fully aware of the upper landing area because you had to make sure you lifted your feet/skis onto the landing.
Although Glen Coe is nearer for me, I am considering travelling the extra distance to Glenshee to introduce my young fella to the sport. Once he is competent on the skis Glen Coe can be tackled.
Then there's always NevisRange??
snow conditions
I'm heading up to Glencoe in a minute with my oldest lad, if I get a chance, I'll ask the lifty what he thinks. My youngest was probably 8 years old when he first used the Cliffy and I'd say the gettingoffness is easy enough as it's snail's pace when it swings gently anticlockwise back down the hill and usually has Dendix underfoot to shuffle away on. The gettingonness is a wee bit more abrupt as it's travelling at full speed i.e.about walking pace. If they can follow instructions, no problemo and once done successfully , it'll be a skoosh from then on.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist, if you want to go to the West Coast, try Nevis Range. I'm not sure if there are any Pomas at all, so you'd be on four seater chairs and T-bars the whole time. Nevis Range usually has fewer queues than Glencoe too.

At Glencoe, I agree the Cliffhanger chair might cause problems for a six year old. And you still have to get the Poma over the plateau to access it.
snow conditions
As others have suggested, as it's a fixed, single chair with no or questionable safety bars, you'd want to be sure he knows to sit still and be sensible on it (although you're less than 6ft off the ground for a lot of it). If you think he could cope with the chair itself, chat to the lifties, they're decent blokes. Perhaps you go up first to assist with the demount, if they can help him on at the bottom.

I think the Wall T-Bar might be a little less nerve wracking tho Smile
snow report
denfinella wrote:
TheGeneralist, if you want to go to the West Coast, try Nevis Range. I'm not sure if there are any Pomas at all, so you'd be on four seater chairs and T-bars the whole time. Nevis Range usually has fewer queues than Glencoe too.

At Glencoe, I agree the Cliffhanger chair might cause problems for a six year old. And you still have to get the Poma over the plateau to access it.

There is just the one 4 Seater on at the moment at Nevis range. The other chairs are being repaired after the early season storms.

If the 6 year old cant manage the plateau poma its not the worst walk in the world across the plateau as long as the weather is nice.
( Used to be the only option...Smile )
Although they have put a new variable speed drive on the poma to help beginners, its has a very gentle incline.
Unfortunately at the moment there is no other way to access the mid mountain other than the cliffy as the Wall T bar is out of action at the moment.
Tim
latest report
Quote:
the Wall T bar is out of action at the moment.

eek. Presumably that means horrendous queues?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy