Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waterproof-ness / beathability - testing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Maybe a dumb question, but is the testing of clothing for waterproof-ness and breathability standardised in anyway?

I guess what I'm asking is a Gore Tex jacket rated to 20,000mm going to be 'more' waterproof than a cheaper jacket/material with the same 20,000mm rating?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, check out
http://youtube.com/v/oclIqrEAuGg

They have a number of excellent videos, explaining in depth the differences between various materials.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abj wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but is the testing of clothing for waterproof-ness and breathability standardised in anyway?

The best thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. Without an explicit standard being mentioned, take all the numbers with a pinch of salt.

Hydrostatic ratings over some level (maybe as low as 5000mm, maybe less) are basically marketing masturbation. The groundsheet of my tent is 'only' waterproof to 10k HH, and it gets used in soaking, swampy fields without leaking. Unless you're using goretex in motorcycle waterproofs at speed in the rain, you won't generate nearly as much pressure. What it does mean is that the waterproofness may last longer... HH tends to drop as a garment ages.

Breathability is the key number to look for, cos that's what you pay for with premium fabrics. Again, you'll have a hard time finding different garments and fabrics that are tested using the same standard.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While all the fabrics may well be tested and pass the same tests such that they receive a 20,000mm rating, but the question is how long will they maintain that for? What's the life of the fabric/membrane? How does it handle dirt ingress or washing?

That's where some cheaper fabrics may fall down. They'll be good for short term, or light use, but under heavier use they may not be as robust.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Unless you're using goretex in motorcycle waterproofs at speed in the rain, you won't generate nearly as much pressure

You haven't seen some of the falls I take Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj link attached to Blister Gear Review outerwear section, if I remember correctly both the 101 and 201 reviews give a good overview of the materials used (pros and cons), the differences between the different brands and how they're tested http://blistergearreview.com/category/gear-101/outerwear-101

(url corrected)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abj, making any fabric 'waterproof' is dead easy and cheap . . . making any fabric breathable is almost as easy and cheap (baring fabrics that collect and retain moisture)

Making a fabric both waterproof and fully breathable whist still retaining warmth . . . essentially creating clothing that is both a dehumidifier and heat exchanger . . . is bloody difficult and soddin' expensive wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
Making a fabric both waterproof and fully breathable whist still retaining warmth . . . essentially creating clothing that is both a dehumidifier and heat exchanger . . . is bloody difficult and soddin' expensive wink

Nah,highly breatheable and weatherproof fabrics have been around for donkeys years. Problem is, most folk want fancy luxury features like washability, or light weight, or quick drying, or minimal insulation for warm weather, or the absense of a funny smell, etc etc. Ventile and untreated wool outer garments are uncommon as a result Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serriadh, I have some Ventile breeks that are terrific in poor weather but once the moisture gets in, ie sitting in a puddle for lunch then it breaks down an the cold gets through. Ventile and wool are not lightweight.
PS. I'm looking for a plain colour 1930s shawl-roll collar ski sweater if anyone sees one Toofy Grin real request
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy