Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine or Les Gets?

Poster: A snowHead
I am in charge of arranging our ski trip for this year (going the second week in March, if that influences anything), and have the choice of two chalets in Morzine/Les Gets.

The first is at the foot of the Nyon cable car in Morzine.
The second is next to the Perrier Express chairlift in Les Gets.

As I understand it, both locations are slightly out of town but have decent access to the slopes. However, I'm not sure which will give us easier/quicker/better access to the large ski area available. We are experienced skiers and like to make the most of our time on the slopes. We have spent the last 3 years in the 3V covering the entire area in one day relatively easily.

Any comments on either of those locations? Which would be better?

Thanks!
Hannah
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Les Gets would be best IMO. I have stayed in Nyon many times and there is a small cable\bubble to the station at Nyon. Getting back down is dependent upon snow cover on the windy cat track near the bottom. With the Les Gets location you will be able to ski down all the time.

The trek over to Morzine and Les Gets can be fun but access to the larger Les Gets area where you indicate that may want to spend a lot of the time would be easier from the Perrier. Nyon was about a 30min walk from Morzine (fast walk) from what I can remember. For me Les Gets.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legolam, If, as I imagine, by larger area you mean the Portes du Soleil, then Nyon. The foot of Perrieres is about as far away from everything else as you can get.

That said, from Nyon you are looking at either skiing across to Pleney and a bus/Super-Morzine or one buses to Morzine + S-M or two buses to Prodains or Ardent. Unless you have a car.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slightly out of town? bit more than that. Les Gets will be easier to ski back to, and you can use the free bus to get into town.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
whats the name of the chalet at nyon i think i might have stayed there?

Are you wanting access to portes du soeil ski area i.e. Avoriaz?

Going to morzine on 2nd Feb
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine, at least you've got easy access to avoriaz.

if this season doesnt improve most of les gets will be closed by march.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eddiethebus, pessimist
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blahblahblah,
Quote:

Les Gets will be easier to ski back to

From Avoriaz? I think not.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, Sorry, I meant the physical run down the hill, not Avoriaz, which is miles away. But original poster does not mention Avoriaz, and do say they are up to doing the 3 valleys in a day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If your chalet does a transfer service to the lifts, then I vote for Nyon too. You can ski back into Morzine from either side and the chalet will pick you up wherever you've skied if that's the case. If you're based in Les Gets, they aren't going to come to Avoriaz and collect you (and prob not too keen on driving as far as Morzine either).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
eddiethebus, pessimist

haha, yeah, but its also a fact Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am guessing the locations are based on value chalets and the OP did not mention the transfer option.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Legolam, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Can,t comment on the locations but if you had any chance of skiing the following week it would be quieter. Second week of March will still be French winter holidays, though not the busiest week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blahblahblah, sure, home run likely to be easier but I was presuming from doing 3Vs in a day they'd want to be exploiting the PDS
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've stayed at the apartments at the foot of the Nyon cable in the 2nd week of March and found it a good jump point into the PS area. Top of the cable car, turn right follow the red down to the bridge, over the bridge into Morzine and away you go. If you have a car, even better as it's easy to get to the Prodain lift into Avoriaz. Main downside to the Nyon area is the bus isn't as frequent as you'd like and it's a bit of a walk into Morzine. Also, if you don't have a car and are self catering their are no shops nearby. Major plus point of Les Gets is it's closeness to the Mont Cheri area... my absolute favourite part of the PS, small but perfectly formed.
latest report
Personally I would find another chalet. If your skiing is any good then you will find Les Gets boring after a day, and staying in Nyon will be deadly dull and you are stuck out on a limb from the main PDS ski area. Spend some more money and stay in Morzine, or at least on the main bus routes to either the Prodains or Ardent lifts.
Mind you if as eddiethebus says, it doesn't improve then forget skiing in March anyway.
latest report
Quote:

its also a fact

it's also a tautology.
snow conditions
zzz, rough day in the office?
snow conditions
Given the comments above best try Paridiski or Espace Killy! (La Plagne Les Arcs or Tignes Val d'Isere.)
Particularly If you ski out the 3v in one day Shocked
latest report
under a new name, I don't know, every time I post what I believe to be an honest opinion you suggest I have had a bad day at the office. As you well know I don't work in an office. As you also know, the only good thing about Les Gets is Mont Chery on a powder day (sssssshhh), oh, and the micro brewery, but we have one of those in Morzine now. As you also know, the only good thing about Nyon is the bus leaving its shady bottom. We also all know it is never, ever, going to snow in the alps again so best off booking a holiday somewhere else.
ski holidays
zzz, roflmao
latest report
Les Gets is a smaller friendlier town than Morzine in my opinion. Would prefer to be based there for town, après and restaurants. Morzine bigger, more traffic, more nightlife. You can ski to Morzine in under 15 mins from Les Gets which gives you access to Portes du Soleil. Les Gets slopes better groomed and better snow-making than Morzine.

Plus Les Gets has Mont Chery Smile
snow report
Much of muchness. However the blue run to the Nyon car park is far from a 'windy cat track' it is a blood wide easy blue.
snow report
Thanks all. Food for thought.

We will be hiring a car from Geneva, but I really hate having to get on buses or in a car at the start or end of a day so I'm looking for the best location to keep my skis on for as long as possible. Unfortunately, our dates are fixed, and I think the locations have been whittled down to these two too.
ski holidays
I would go for Les Gets as the nicer village. Further to travel to get the the main PDS area but I have liked staying there better than Morzine
ski holidays
zzz, not in the slightest, I'm glad to see you back to your usual candid self Happy I only commented on that remarkably upbeat post from a few weeks ago when you were reassuring everyone that it would all be fine due to snow cannon investment.

Legolam, It's not so many years ago that zzz, and I skied down one of the LG side pitches and agreed it was (at that point, topped only I think end of Jan last year) that it was the best powder we'd ever seen. And we've seen a fair bit.

Back on point. If you are skiing Morzine/Les Gets your two choices are broadly equivalent.

Nyon has the singular advantage that if you have a particularly cheery lunch Chez Nannon you are downhill all the way home. Just don't get lost in the woods.

Perrieres has the singular advantage that after a particularly cheery lunch at La Päika you are downhill all the way home.

If you want to ski the rest of the PDS - and why would you not? - from Perrieres, unless I'm missing a trick, you are minimum 3 chairs away from Morzine (no way 15 minutes...) or a bus and two chairs - then a walk across town, then Super Morzine or a shuttle to Prodains or Ardent. Or you hop in your car and you have 15-20 minutes extra driving time through Les Gets to Morzine and then have to park or decide on Ardent or Prodains.

From Nyon you have one cable car and then a single run (assuming the green path from Fys chair to Morzine is open given current conditions) to Morzine, or you hop in your car and nip round to Prodains or Ardent. It's (I think) two shuttles as the system is hub and spoke with Morzine as hub. I don't think you can get a shuttle from Nyon to Prodains or Ardent directly.

In neither case are you actually staying "in" the village so village ambience, etc. is moot. I'd go Nyon.
latest report
Cheers, under a new name, that's really helpful. I didn't look at "numbers of lifts required to get somewhere good", so that's helped to concentrate the mind. My initial gut feeling was to go with the chalet with the hot tub in Les Gets, but the rest of the group were more keen on the nicer looking chalet in Nyon. Looks like I might just go with the group decision - there's nothing in it in price.
ski holidays
Legolam, That'd be my call too.

Also, re hot tubs... my m-i-l rents a property with a hot tub ... you do not want to know what people get up to in it - and it's in full view Shocked of the main drag in Cannes (he he he). Filter gets changed every week and is quite disgusting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't go anywhere near a hot tub unless it was my own. Yeuch.
latest report
Legolam, I've stayed right by the lift in Nyon a few times and we've really enjoyed it, but you will most likely need to use your car if you want to head up to Avoriaz. There's nothing where you're staying apart from a small (but very friendly) bar/ resto with surprisingly good food. We've always managed to walk into town of an evening, but it is a good 20 minute walk, and have always used taxis back (Mutzig may have been a factor in that). Some lovely skiing over that side of the hill, though.
ski holidays
Stayed in Les Gets. Visited Morzine twice. I also prefer the town of Les Gets. I would happily book a chalet in either.
latest report
Except Mike, the choice here is a chalet in neither... not that that's a bad thing Twisted Evil
latest report
Legolam, it's a choice between two good (linked) resorts so either way.... and easy to get up to Avoriaz if you want more kms.

pam w, under a new name, couldn't agree more. No matter how fastidious the cleaning is Toofy Grin
snow report
Absolutely agree pam w, I will never get in a hot tub on a chalet holiday. Bleughhh
snow report
Hi, new to Snow Heads we are going to Nyon on the 23/02/2014. We are a mixed party my 18 year old daughter and friend plus 3 old men 40+ we booked a chalet with Morzine Lets and have now been told we cannot pick the keys up until 4pm from the Rhodos Hotel. How easy is it to get from the village to Nyon at this time of day? we stayed in Les Gets last year but I thought Morzine would be better for the girls.
snow report
Shaweylad, by taxi, it will be extremely easy.
snow report
or Ski bus - route N or E from outside the town hall (1 minute from Rhodos) at 4.15, 4.20 or 4.40 pm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy