Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 1800 how long does it take to Ski to..... ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi There

Advanced skier here...looking on rough estimates on times to ski from Plagne 1800 to Les Arcs and any other info just to get an idea for example on times get from 1800 to;

- Plagne Center
- Bellecote Glacier
- Belle plagne

Im heading 2 feb so hoping the lift queues wont be too bad. Just looking for rough estimates.

+ if heading over to Les arcs is it best giving it a full day and want time would it be recommended on making your way back at?

Thanks in advance

Ricko
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get a lift up to Plagne centre. For Belle Plagne you need two lifts and a quick ski (I think). Plagne 1800 is lower than the other two so you have to get a lift out of Plagne 1800. There is also bus services that take you to all Plagne resorts (its free). All Plagne resorts are really close together and you ski from one to another easily.

I will let the experts answer the other points.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ricko, as usual, the rate limiting factor is the lifts. Queues, stoppings, breakdowns.
No need to go to Plagne Centre (see piste map)
From 1800 you take the Melezes then the Bergerie to ski down to Bellecote where you pick up the Arpette which allows you to ski all the way down to the Vanoise (give or take a rope tow). That just gets you to Peisey. To get to Arc 2000 requires another 3 lifts and a fair amount of road skiing.
Definitely give it a full day if going over to Les Arcs.
As for getting back, depends no how fast you ski and how calm/nervous you are about lift timings.
I like to be back at the Vanoise by 3.30pm, but some reckon you can leave it until 4.30. (best of luck to them).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ricko, I did a season in La Plagne a few years ago and was based in 1800.

To Plagne centre it's about 30 mins if you go via Aime, or you can get the ski bus which is about 2 mins and runs every half an hour. I used to get the bus more often than not. I'm not sure if there is a new lift from 1800 to center or not, I know there was always talk of it.

Belle plagne - there is a few ways 1. get the bus to Bellecote (5 mins)and walk to the bubble which takes you up to belle plagne (10 mins walk and faff, 5 mins in bubble). 2. you could ski to bellecote from centre (quickest way is on the La Bergerie chairlift then there is an easy blue to bellecote (and a nice hidden natural half pipe)

Bellecote glacier - When it's open it takes a while about an hour i'd say - again ski or bus to Bellecote and take the bubble to the roch de mio, from here another bubble takes you to the glacier.. I rarely went up there to be honest as I don't think the skiing is that great, although the off piste of the north face is awesome (never do this without a guide)

To ski to les arc is great and can be quick. Fastest for me was about 35 mins from chalet to Peisey. The Vanoise express is low down so once you have taken the Arpette lift out of Bellecote it's one long run to the Cable car to Les Arcs. The thing that takes the time is getting back (about 2.5 hours from the main Les Arc villages i'd say) and there isn't much sking to be done on the return journey! If you want to maximise your time in Les Arcs then plan to get the bus back from Bellecote to 1800, that way you can track the last lifts, but this can be a risky strategy as I once found out!!! But the whole trip deserves a full day to give it justice

Any more info about La Plagne just ask. It's an amazing and under rated resort that has miles and miles of skiing. I loved my season there. Favourite places to ski for me were over the back on the Champany side of the mountain. Very quiet and some great pistes for seriously fast carving Smile The runs to Montalbert are also great and pretty quiet once you hit the tree line - just don't get the drag back, it's horrific!!!

As for lift queues, they shouldn't be too bad that week. The lifts out of Bellecote are always the worst effected by queues, Paticularly the Arpette lift, so get there early to avoid. Apart from that the lifts are efficient and generally don't have queues. In the middle of Feb we always avoided Bellecotte.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
interested in this in the reverse direction. staying at arc 1800 and want the fastest route to the champagny area. last year when we went to arc 1800 and over to la plagne we took what we thought was the most straightforward route and in the evening we felt we spent all day on slow lifts in la plagne..- clearly a lack of planning on our part.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The quickest way is as follows...
Get off Vanoise Express ski down to the Montchavin (high speed chair), after this get straight onto Pierre Blanches chair then straight onto Dos Rond chair (so far 3 chairs with no skiing!). Ski down to the left and take the first chair on your right (Salla). From the top of the Salla chair ski straight down into Bellecote and take Les Blanches (8man high speed chair). At the top of this ski straight ahead and after a short while take a sharp right and go between the two chair lifts (Quills and Carrela) - Ignore these chairs and ski ahead but get enough speed up before them as there is a flat area here. You should now be on "le lavasset" in the Champany area.

I get that you felt like you were just stuck on old chairs, that first stint is a pain, but when skiing from La Plagne it is equally painful getting from Peisey to Arc 2000.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FastCarver74, thanks for that..just looked on the map and i think we may have got on the crozats chair before..maybe thats the really sow one. are there any runs/areas in laplagne that we 'must' do. i know the les arc side fairly well but less familiar with the plagne side. thanks
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourite area is Champany as it's very sunny and quiet usually but I do also like the runs from the Grand Rochette back to Plagne Center. If you take the Funiplagne bubble from Plagne Center you get fantastic views of Courchevel straight across (well slightly to the right, say 1-2 oclock direction). Ski to the right when you come out of the Funiplagne (the world and his wife always seem to go left) and head back down to Plagne Center. There are lots of runs that split in all directions here and some have really really interesting terrain. Lots of little hidden gullies and natural half pipes, it's very unique. When you get back to Plagne Center take the Colorado (High speed) chair which takes you 3/4 of the way back up and take a different fork down, rinse and repeat. On the Colorado chair you can see the rabbit warren of runs and try and pick which you like the look of.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MogulMonkey, two of the best must do pistes are Mont De la Geurre IF it is open. It runs down into Champagny village.
Les Etroits from Becoin / Cretes is a brilliant Piste Natur.
Not forgetting the Pistes Natur re-opened for this season on the Glacier.
For all of those you will need to be at the VE first thing to get across and have enough skiing time.
If you are confident off piste and have the kit hire a guide and take on the North Face Of Bellecote.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, Ah Mont De la Geurre - A piste that never fails to disappoint IMO

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 9-01-14 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastCarver74, excellent advice on trips out from 1800, expecially the use of the bus (often forgotten).
But not so sure about your route for getting back from Les Arcs.
Rather than your 3-chair choice for getting up to top of Dos Rond for the Salla lift, why not ski across to Plan Bois gondola, and then take the Bijolin lift up to the top? Two lifts, rather than three.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FastCarver74, True, it's not as good as it was since the top 2 miles have been re-profiled but remains one of the best pistes in Paradiski when it's officially open.
I should also add Derochoir to the list but that is open less often than Mont de la Guerre.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Taking the bubble and then the high speed Bijolin is an idea, I'm just not a fan of taking my skis off for bubbles! From Bijolin you still need to ski down to Salla chair to be able to ski to Bellecote. Whichever way it's 3 lifts. Personal pref i supoose
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastCarver74, i wonder if you're a youngster, or just young at heart?
My two Pimlettes also hate Gondolas and Cable Cars coz of having to take off their skis
Never fussed me, but each to their own. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, Definitely young at heart! The "74" bit of username gives it away (and no i'm not 74). Very Happy
snow report
Guys many thanks for this very useful information Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy