Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich, couple of hours, where to go (some help !)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

Been browsing all over the web trying to find something that could work but struggling to get anything sorted. Am hoping that some people on here could offer advice / some options.

Myself and 3 friends have flights booked to Munich, arriving lunchtime, on Sat 1st March. Our plan is to hire a car and then drive to a resort that meets the criteria below. We are due to fly back on Wednesday 5th March which we know could cause some issues for accommodation but worse case we will look to book a chalet for the week and just leave early .

- Large ski area, over 150km. Bigger the better, doesnt matter if slightly linked by ski bus etc but need a decent size resort
- All decent skiiers, not world beaters but we all ski well
- Good town with restaurants and some bars. We are all nearing 40 so no need for manic nightlive but like good bars
- Would like to keep car journey down to 2 hours if possible

I have had a look at Kitzbuhel, Mayrhofen and Soll but struggling to find any decent accommodation. Are there any other resorts or recommendations for areas or accommodation ? I dont think its Austrian half term, although it is for the French, just everywhere seems busy !!

Any help or advice or websites appreciated !!

Thanks
Rooney
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
schladming,
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rooney, doing an accommodation search on www.zillertal.at for your dates currently shows 77 hotels/inns/pensions (excluding self catering apartments) that are available in the Zillertal. With a car you can easily visit the various ski areas in the valley, but if you fancy some beers immediately after skiing and don't want to drive the included skibusses and Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway that runs up the valley as far as Mayrhofen makes it easy to get around. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you emailed the widerkaiser tourist board? They can email you accommodation options for the SkiWelt, there'll surely be something available?! Easy transfer from Munich http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For accommodation, I have found www.tiscover.com useful for Austria
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rooney, www.booking.com works a treat for Austria. Seriously consider just jumping on the train www.bahn.de - it just makes the homeward leg stress free. Nothing worse than being sat on the autobahn in a jam with the minutes til departure ticking away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rooney, It is Fasching (Carnival) week - probably the second busiest week in the Austrian season. You are coming back on Ash Wednesday which is the day after all the party ends. The traffic along the main axes towards Austria may well be manic a well on the Saturday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
rooney, www.booking.com works a treat for Austria. Seriously consider just jumping on the train www.bahn.de - it just makes the homeward leg stress free. Nothing worse than being sat on the autobahn in a jam with the minutes til departure ticking away.

+1 to this. Driving back to Munich from Mayrhofen on a Sunday afternoon. Thought we'd left plenty of time (I think over 3.5hrs). Only just made it to check-in. The autobahn was horrendous Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The larger resorts will be focussing on guests from Holland, but there should be plenty of options within 2-3 hours of Munich.

E.g. Ski Amade resorts such as Maria Alm, or Leogang for access to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm ski circus. http://www.saalfelden-leogang.com/en/accommodation/search-book/ where there are small B&B Pensions for €30 a night.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach? Did it last year in an easy sub 2 hour run from Munich.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, I'd also recommend the train. I've come back from Munich my last couple of trips, and was able to have a full day on the slopes (Seefeld and Garmisch) before catching the train to the airport for a 9pm-ish Easy Jet flight home. German trains are super cheap too if there's a few of you travelling.
Handy ski-resort rail map of the Alps here http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx app version here https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just did train to Mayrhofen from Munich New Year week for the first time. Beats the 61/2 hours it took me last year, 2 1/2 hours of actual train journey, very civilised with a beer and a sarnie. If you do this, don't believe DB's claim that you can catch the 9.51 train from Mayrhofen to get the train to Munich, a lot of people missed their connection last weekend. Get the 9.21. Costs about 100 euros return. (Kids free)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. I didnt realise it was Fasching week which probably answers why all the resorts are so busy. We are fortunate enough that we can change flights if we wish, would we be better heading to Turin and skiing in Italy then ? France is school holidays, Austria is Fasching etc...unless there is something going on in Italy as well ?!!!?

Thanks for all replies to date. Train sounds the better option as getting back to Munich in the car sounds a pain (we were hoping to ski somewhere until lunchtime and then make it back for a 15:40 flight but that sounds risky !).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

unless there is something going on in Italy as well ?!!!?

Carnival? (ie what Austria calls Fasching) Wink

(probably - just my guess)

you wouldn't be able to ski to lunch with a 15:40 flight, even with a deserted Autobahn
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Soll, you can get train straight to Worgl and then a short cab ride to Soll.

Easier than the drive which is horrible in both directions.
snow report
joe1978 wrote:
Saalbach? Did it last year in an easy sub 2 hour run from Munich.
You're unlikely to make Saalbach in under 2 hours on a Saturday. More like 3-3.5 hours.
snow report
Fasching innit.
Unfortunately you've picked the worst dates in the whole year to try to get short term accommodation in GermanishLaende
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy