Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Four days away

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Garmisch - three families totalling 15 people!!

Now neeeed a four day get away - just the gents.

Suggestions for a cheapy long weekend - under £600 a head. I know, I know, but money's tight. Don't mind flying or ferry/driving combo as all four of us could take turns driving..........
We're all based near Preston.
Any suggestions??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Markmcn,

5 of us did Sauze d'Oulx for a long weekend last January and are returning in March.

Ryanair flights from Stanstead to Turin (other option is Gatwick to Turin (EJ) or Birmingham to Milan (Flybe))
Hire a minivan / big car - 1 hr drive
Hotel La Torre (private minibus to lifts) with free parking

You'll do for your budget inc lift passes.

PM me if you want any details.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Markmcn - you don't say when you want to go?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I fly to Geneva, Quick transfer to PDS area of about 1 hour. If you find accommodation for about £200 to £250 you will be on or around your budget.
Flight £150 (choosing less popular flight times)
Accom £250
Transfer £50
Lift Pass £110

That leaves about £50 for ski hire or a few pizzas. Assuming you have spending money beyond your budget your sorted.

I'm off to Avoriaz/Morzine in Feb but we spent more on catered accommodation. Our total spend is about £700 including lift pass and ski hire.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Early march
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have done the same 4 day trip detailed above in March 2013 and end of Feb 2014.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are off tomorrow night to Les Arcs. Eurostar to paris (£40 each way bargain ticket) Travel overnight by corail lunea to Bourg St Maurice (about £120), arrive 0740 at the bottom of the Les ARCs funicular. Pierre and vacances apartment (€400 for 6 for 2 nights) and back sunday night. That makes about £230 each with no transfers and no extra for ski carriage. just add beer, lift pass, food (and more beer). The big advantage is the train gives 2 nights accomodation so we get a full 3 days skiing for one full day off work.

What is Garmisch like just now? I am off to work in Munich for a bit after the trip away and might get a sneaky weekend away.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we fly to munich or Salzburg and drive 2 hours from Munich or 30 mins from Salzburg and you can choose any of a number of resorts for a short break. We did a 3 night one last year, drove to munich and flew home and two hour drive home after last days skiing. Exhausting so this year we are staying 4 nights which gives us 3 long days skiing. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we fly to munich or Salzburg and drive 2 hours from Munich or 30 mins from Salzburg and you can choose any of a number of resorts for a short break. We did a 3 night one last year, drove to munich and flew home and two hour drive home after last days skiing. Exhausting so this year we are staying 4 nights which gives us 3 long days skiing. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get yourself cheap flights to Geneva - can be had for less than £100 at the minute. Then pick up hire car using AutoEurope (around £25 a day, nothing between 4) or two. Then head for the hills, I mean mountains.

Have recently booked a short break with the Snow Co, found them very good at sourcing and very reasonable end rate.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chopkins13, I have always avoided car hire thinking snow chains etc would be a pain if required. That's cheap car hire though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bit of a long trek to drive for <1 week.

pick somewhere like Zillertal or Ski Amade which are low valley villages, and I'd doubt chains would be required. Fly to your choice of Innsbruck, Salzburg or Munich depending on convenience and flight prices.

I tend to cheat, and pick somewhere like Innsbruck, and then drive 40mins or so to where I fancy going. Hotels are geared up for 2-3 nights, late arrival, etc.

Would do the same via Geneva, and ski Morzine/Les Gets etc. or Chamonix / Les Houches or somewhere. If necessary, staying in Ibis in Sallanches or Thonon or somewhere if just a weekend.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Col the Yeti, garmisch fine. Zugspitze excellent. Village completely clear and lower runs mostly closed but you can get all way down to krezeckbahn. Avoid Hausberg at weekends - get lift up to either Alpspitz or krezeckbahn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowMonkey69, liking this. Got a deal for flights, hotel and car hire for a tad over £300 for four nights!! Back of the net!!

Is snow reliable?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 8-01-14 17:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markmcn

Great news, glad I could help.
snow conditions
Just seen your question re the snow. We're going on the 9th March so I certainly hope so. All narrative suggests so, it's nice and high so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Mike-H - snow chains from Geneva are €3 a day to hire, not an issue - we're doing this in February and did it last Feb
snow conditions
Markmcn, I'd say the Innsbruck idea is a good one. Apart from the fact that most French accommodation is very much Sat/Sat the first half of march is French school holidays so the suggestion of ski resort accommodation for £250 is pretty optimistic. You'd need to book a week, and more likely to cost you €1100 (in a relatively small resort).
snow conditions
If you shifted to the second half of March it would all become more doable.
ski holidays
Markmcn, thanks for that! sounds like Zugspitze, or a trip to Austria (Zillertal maybe) If I can escape while in Munich
ski holidays
Booked for Match 6th.

Flights Manchester to bergamo, car hire and four nights in hotel. £212 each including car hire. Get in!!!!
snow report
How busy is Sauze likely to be weekend of March 7th??
ski holidays
chopkins13,

€3 per day for chains?

Where?

We were asked for 5 times that amount last month! (And the same in Munich later in the month......)
snow report
€12 a day from hertz at Milan. Will take my chances thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy