Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Helmet - how to travel?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got three ski holidays booked this year (lucky me!) so I'm thinking of buying my own helmet, something not too expensive like this.....http://www.surfdome.com/sinner_snow_helmet_-_sinner_empire_air_snow_helmet_-_lime_green-162259 (although probably not in lime green!)

So my question is this: How did folks take their helmets with them? Hand luggage? Checked Luggage? And do they need packing in anything for protection? Any ideas how much one like that would broadly weigh?

Finally, I know I've used the 'H' word here, but please, don't let this turn into an argurment about whether helmets are a good idea or not. I always wear one. end of.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chopkins13, I put mine in an old nylon stuff sack to stop it getting scratched. Stuff the insides with goggle box, socks, buffs etc. so as not to waste space when you pack.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 8-01-14 10:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always carry mine in my hand luggage. That way I know exactly what has happened to it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
chopkins13, If they can save your head, they should survive even airport handling.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you why that's totally wrong. I'm not entitled to an opinion.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, OK, I've deleted it, clearly I am not entitled to a thought process either, but it does seem an intuitive statement and one I would have assumed for my own helmet.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a Transpack boot+helmet bag, padded out a bit with gloves and a couple of base layers or something. Checked luggage. It's pretty robust, and LH more than happy to accept that as the boot bag and helmet bag that comes with free ski carriage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a squeeze, but I can get the helmet in with the boots in the boot bag (normal size salomon one). Try with the opening of the helmet facing the boots, and in the space you can sick some socks, goggles etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
chopkins13, I put mine in an old nylon stuff sack to stop it getting scratched. Stuff the insides with goggle box, socks, buffs etc. so as not to waste space when you pack.

Seconded, people are way too precious about that whole "One knock and it toast" thing. Application of a bit of common sense and your helmet will be fine.

Just put it in the centre of your luggage with a bit of clothing around it for padding, so nothing too hard can press into it when your bag is buried under a pile of cases. I've moved my assorted helmets around for 12+ years and never had a problem (apart from the ProTec which went weirdly sticky...got sock fluff stuck to it. Confused )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the comments guys, might consider putting it in the checked bag and padding out with clothes for protection. Any ideas on what it would weigh? Flying Sleazy Jet on one occassion so only have 15KG allowance - guessing a helmet is probaly about 1.5kg?

Cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my helmet is 450g
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chopkins13, kitchen scales?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Clip it to your carry-on. You will look a bit of a tosser, unfortunately (I know I do), but it's amazing how much room the damn things take up in a case.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I flew to LA with Virgin last year with mine in my boot bag (checked boot bag in), then travelled to Mammoth. When I arrived I took my helmet out of my boot bag and it looked like a golf ball!

My advice would be definitely in your main checked bag with plenty of clothes padded round it for protection.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Put it on your head, then it does not count as luggage, just take it off before you go through the scanner.....unless you like being groped Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Any ideas on what it would weigh?

My Smith Variant weighs 500g - it gets put in its case/bag and goes in the bottom of my hand luggage rucksack, filled with goggles and socks.

Never had a problem at airports yet.
ski holidays
If you can fit it in your hand luggage then do this.

Sure it is very unlikely that anthing would happen to it if well padded but things do often get broken and a helmet is quite fragile. Not like glass or anything but they are designed to crack on impact to discipate the energy of a crash and falling off a baggage converyor of the top of one of those trolley things would be enough to damage it if it fell in the wrong place.
ski holidays
Flet©h wrote:
If you can fit it in your hand luggage then do this.

Sure it is very unlikely that anthing would happen to it if well padded but things do often get broken and a helmet is quite fragile. Not like glass or anything but they are designed to crack on impact to discipate the energy of a crash and falling off a baggage converyor of the top of one of those trolley things would be enough to damage it if it fell in the wrong place.

But if it's filled with socks, and surrounded by clothing, that's very unlikely.
latest report
northernsoulboy wrote:
Clip it to your carry-on. You will look a bit of a tosser, unfortunately (I know I do), but it's amazing how much room the damn things take up in a case.

+1
snow report
Mine goes in my hold bag with clothes' etc. packed around it, ditto my ski boots.
latest report
goes in checker luggage with goggles and gloves inside, and clothes packed around it.
latest report
Hand luggage. Its important kit that you don't want to be without on your first days skiing/snowboarding.

At Gatwick tomorrow, mine will be clipped to my rucksack containing boots, gloves, snowboard pants, socks and goggles. I'd hand-luggage the snowboard if I thought I'd get away with it Very Happy
snow conditions
A helmet thread with 20 replies in 4 hours all about how to safely pack them but with no anecdotes so far either about how a helmet has prevented the teller's certain death or how a helmet nearly caused a deadly collision from a downhill but out of control, reckless old, fat and bald man who thought he was invincible while listening to Bruce Springsteen through his helmet's bluetooth headset and iphone which was also measuring his skiing speed on the blue run with its GPS app. Little Angel
snow conditions
moffatross, until you came along, eh? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
mine looks really cool.
latest report
hey - I look really cool Toofy Grin
snow report
Mine keeps my ears warm and I don't really notice it. Toofy Grin
latest report
moffatross, +1
latest report
Flet©h wrote:
(Helmets) are designed to crack on impact to discipate(sic) the energy of a crash

Is his correct? Helmets are designed to crack on impact?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim wrote:
Flet©h wrote:
(Helmets) are designed to crack on impact to discipate(sic) the energy of a crash

Is his correct? Helmets are designed to crack on impact?

No, it's not correct.
They are designed to absorb impact, not to crack.
If the impact is big enough, they may crack, in which case you need to buy a new one, or ski slower.
ski holidays
I can fit my helmet in the bottom of my 18 litre ABS pack. Facing up, so the helmet gets filled with items and doesn't really take up much room.
snow report
The one (serious) knock and discard is not without foundation, but you need to better understand the construction.

Basically what you want to avoid is a situation where the helmet would have helped save you from injury, but it doesn't or doesn't as well as it might otherwise have done. There's an awful lot of discussion that could go on around those phrases, but leaving that out, I don't know that much about ski helmet construction so I'll talk about cycle helmets.

I cover a lot of miles on a bike and I wear a helmet. Not because I think it will save me from DETH but because I think that there are a small subset of incidents where a helmet will help and for me the minor discomfort of wearing a helmet is a reasonable stake for a bet that I won't have an accident where it will help. Now cycle helmets go from the cheap and basic to the expensive, you don't get any better protection with the expensive ones, in fact you are paying for less helmet: lighter, more ventilation; I use an expensive one. These typically have a frame internal to the structure on which the expanded polystyrene is formed, with the plastic shell over the top. If that structure is compromised, wearing the helmet might be worthless.

Relatively recently, my handlebars failed as I was riding along at around 20mph and I ended up nutting the back end of a car. I walked away from that (the bike didn't) and the helmet looked undamaged. I spoke to the manufacturers who have a replacement scheme for crash damage (half price) which I took advantage of. Before I sent the helmet off, I peeled back the outer cover and discovered that polystyrene was cracked underneath, from the frame. I'm relatively pleased I made the decision to change.

Now skiing helmets, I've actually only recently started wearing one after realising the irony, and I can't say it bothers me (mind you, I haven't been skiing at easter yet). The construction appears to be less complex and overall sturdier, but in the unlikely event that I do crack my head in one, or I know it has suffered a serious knock I would change it. When considering the strength of the knock, it is worth remembering that it is designed for an impact with substantial momentum behind it.
latest report
Quote:

Thats a bit pedantic isn't it? They are designed to absorb impact by deforming. That will eventually result in a crack if you hit it hard enough but any deformation is a bad thing.

Either way your helmet is the most fragile thing you will pack to go skiing and if broken it may not be apparent to you. Anything else will be a pain if broken but at least you will see imediately and be able to claim off the airline. Helmets are also light and small so they will fit in your hand luggage without any bother so for me it makes sense. Other people will make different choices and 99.9% of them will be fine.
snow report
Ours go in hold luggage in the middle of the case stuffed with goggles and socks and surrounded by clothes.
latest report
Flet©h wrote:
Quote:

Thats a bit pedantic isn't it?

Well, it's not worth falling out over but to be honest, no, I don't think it is.

You said 'helmets are designed to crack on impact', which is a pretty bald statement, and a guy asked (again baldly) if that was correct.

I just said, No, it's not correct. They are designed to absorb impact, and will crack if the impact is great enough.

But no biggie.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy