Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On the way to intermidiotdom... Hopefully!

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if the vid link works, but I've finally got round to uploading a video I got my OH to film whilst away at Xmas. I'm largely self taught, and was previously reliant on essentially making alternate sided hockey stops to get down pistes. Had a session with Rob at inside out and begun to get the idea of weighting and I feel like this is a massive first step to improvement.

That said, I know I have a lot to learn to master this skiing malarkey, so any comments/ pointers greatly received. I'm hoping to get on a few more inside out clinics this year.

http://youtube.com/v/Y8SsmbmP6Us[/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lampygirl, Not bad for self-taught. 3 things to think about on your next practice session:
Get your arms up and forward.
Try flexing your ankles more so your shins press against the front of your boots.
I am NOT an instructor Blush
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looking pretty good for ten days of skiing!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having tried the flex thing, I have less ankle flex than knee flex, so off to the gym to work on that. I do a lot of ice and roller skate based sports, so the skiing, albeit badly, came quite quickly as I understood the idea of the snowplough as it's the first thing you get beginners on ice skates doing to stop. it just took a while to get to more S shaped turns. There's a few hours in the snow domes to add to my now 18 days on snow, but that's a benefit of having one on the doorstep.

I was trying to keep the weight forward in that video, so the arms forward suggestion is deffo sounding good.

I have a great want to push my heels out when I ski I think because that's how I stop, and I want to use turns to slow down within my level of ability. I guess this is just a mental thing I will get over as I get more confident.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
18 days on snow Shocked Shocked Shocked
I think I hate you Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I won't mention the February trip then NehNeh 2 lots of 5 days past 2 years, 8 days over Xmas this year, plus once a month in the snow dome. Bought the gear this year so felt the need for a second trip to make use of the investment.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, of course I don't .. I'm just jealous.
Seriously, you ski better than some guys who've skied for 18 months...have you met franzClammer??
Ask Rob to introduce you Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

You don't need the gym for ankle flex. All you really need (as a general rule) is for your knees to be above or slightly ahead of your toes (with your ski boots on)...it's not a massive amount...just enough to press the front of your boot. You'll start to feel the front of your skis to be more 'grippy' (and nice), so you won't need to 'want to push' your heels out. Best way to slow down (at this stage) is to continue your turn til you go slightly uphill...really round-out the end of the turn.

OK...i don't want to get carried away in case I get shot down by a pro....so keep up the lessons.
You're a few hours away from intermediate hell Madeye-Smiley
Keep posting vids.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lampygirl, Brava young lady Smile
Welcome to Snowheads
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
franzClammer, You know i was kidding right? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ALQ, "gettin me at it" as usual Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ wrote:
lampygirl, Not bad for self-taught. 3 things to think about on your next practice session:
Get your arms up and forward.
Try flexing your ankles more so your shins press against the front of your boots.
I am NOT an instructor Blush

Lampygirl Well done for uploading the vid. You look like you will develop into a strong skier very quickly.
I'm not an Instructor either ...yet NehNeh
But I presume Rob has explained to you the need to get your COG over your new outside ski as early in the turn as possible & to cultivate "outside ski dominance"?.... It will probably help you to get forward too.
One of the things I am continuing to work toward myself.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just a few more points...

lampygirl wrote:
... I have less ankle flex than knee flex...

Everybody has this...it's nature.
Just think, knees ahead of toes...try to exaggerate the forward press of shins on boots as you start the turn.

lampygirl wrote:
...I was trying to keep the weight forward in that video, so the arms forward suggestion is deffo sounding good....

Again, try to exaggerate this (arms up n forward above the tips of your skis)...really go for it and get the feeling of the front of your skis gripping.

Check your vid to see what I'm talking about. Give it a go and post another vid to see how far forward you really are.

18 days on snow...amazing...you're a natural Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic for 18 days on the snow.

I'm not an instructor either but IMHO .......
I'm not seeing a lot of angualtion and the skis are pretty flat.

For rounded turns the weight needs to be going through the centre of the ski under your foot. You don't need excessive pressure on the shins - just enough to know that you are not hanging out the back of the boot and so putting the pressure on your heels causing skiing in the back seat. The pressure should be sideways to the inside of the turn as you tip the skis.

.... but I'm sure your instructor will develop your already very good skiing further. People on the internet (myself included) will probably end up confusing you with different opinions.

I believe the secret to expert skiing is not being the fastest improver but picking up the least mistakes alone the way and going back often to iron out those that you have picked up. Most important is that we stay safe and have fun along the way, even if we never get there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampygirl, looks good, well done. For me the priority is to get balanced on the outside ski the moment you start the turn, and then to continue to stand on it effectively all the way around the turn. In the video you posted you aren't getting the outside ski to grip the snow well all the way around the turn (notice how the outside ski drifts backwards a little, relative to the inside ski). Use your extension movement at the start of the turn to feel that outside ski be really connected to/gripping the snow the moment you start the turn, then continue to stand on it/balance on it really well until your start the next turn. If you are able, some one-foot skiing will really get this dialled in. Begin the turn as normal, and then as soon as you are able to pick up the inside ski a little bit so you are just balanced on your outside leg. Keep the inside ski off the snow until you are ready to finish the turn, then place it back on the snow quietly and begin the next turn.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mid way though this holiday I started occasionally trying the one foot thing, on easy blues, so that is something i shall deffo look to work on in the indoor slopes. Im just shuffling around some things hoping to get on the IOS clinic on 2nd March, so hopefully I can get a few drills and practices in before then.
snow conditions
Which reminds me of ..........

http://youtube.com/v/LatVt6F8whQ
latest report
lampygirl, nice. Very nice, especially considering the fairly limited time skiing snowHead

DB, thanks for posting - not seen that clip before. Remarkable. Not sure I'd fancy racing him even with 2 skis underfoot Laughing
snow report
I see people doing that sort of thing on skis, and initially go 'grrrrr i hate those little kids who look so comfortable on their skis'... then remember that that was me on ice skates, whizzing round backwards on one foot as a knee high little kid, then the resentment subsides and i figure I just need to practice the right technique more, but wish my parents allowed me to ski as a kid. The key bit there though is clearly 'right technique', afterall, all practice makes is permanent...
ski holidays
lampygirl, I got into skiing at the age of 35. It's also quite good for your enthusiasm to find new interests throughout your life, if I'd been skiing all my life I may have even got bored with it and only done it the odd week each year.
snow report
DB, ma che bello!
ski holidays
my 9 year old has just done her 7th week of skiing. I did my second week when I was 17. I know that is a lot younger than 35 but still... My kids really love skiing (and work quite hard at it, in part because they know I love it and they want to impress me Embarassed ). I do keep pointing out that they have no excuse for not getting better than me Very Happy
ski holidays
If we're talking about age....gulp rolling eyes
I'm 49 in April and I started skiing in 2011.
So that makes me..........errr.... Late Jurassic Skullie ?

Laughing
snow report
franzClammer, After watching the 86 year old gymnast competing we have no excuses lol.
snow report
There were four octogenarians ripping up the hill I was at today.
latest report
lampygirl, very impressive!

DB, cheers for posting that - they mentioned it in last weeks Ski Sunday but I'd never actually seen it before!
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/SIFDZVFYfJo
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
lampygirl, I got into skiing at the age of 35. It's also quite good for your enthusiasm to find new interests throughout your life, if I'd been skiing all my life I may have even got bored with it and only done it the odd week each year.

This!

From a starter at 38 snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy