Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with Boarders

Poster: A snowHead
Me and my snow-buddies are a mix of skiiers and boarders, although this year I'll be the only skiier. We all get along and are considerate of each other but, honestly, they get under my feet a bit and I think I get a little too close to them for comfort sometimes, but no harm done. Does anyone else have experience of skiing with borders, have you found any particular tricks that allow you all to get down the mountain together without any wobbly-moments?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah I ski and board most holidays so have experience from both camps.
Give your boarding buddies a wide birth when in their blind spot and remember thay are likely to make some wider turns than skiers.
Boarders generally need more stopping room as well.
As a skier, always have a quick glance over your shoulder if you intend to make an a direction change that an uphill skier or boarder may not have anticipated.
I prefer to let the boarders go first, coz even as a boarder, I hate the sound of them behind me and cannot be sure what is coming (and it's easy to catch them up.) That is one of the advantages of a board - much easier to look behind.
Expect the unexpected as there's more simple tricks you can do on a board that most skiers won't contemplate, 180's etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Space and being happy to wait for them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lucy_Maria, Let them go first, and if you overtake them always go around them the side they are facing (otherwise you might end up with one on you lap!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blind spot and a wider turning arc, that's the main points.

Also, don't stop on a flat bit for a blether and expect them to stop beside you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's exactly the same thing as skiing on the same slopes as other skiers and boarders who aren't your friends. Just don't ski like a dope and give everyone a wide berth if you're overtaking them, and if you're in the middle of the slope don't make any wildly unpredictable moves or stops in case anyone else is overtaking you. If you're skiing as a group then try not to be stopping really often just to stay together; pick a place to meet up, either halfway down a particular run or all the way if its not too long, and just ski at your own pace in the knowledge that you have a good meeting point.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think that key to skiing in a group is to remember that you only need to be together when you stop - in the bar - on the lifts...
it is really easy to fall into the habit of trying to 'ski together' but synchronised skiing / boarding isn't easy!
and be nice to them on those long paths!

Alasdair
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep unless they are very VERY good boarders are a bit less nippy, combined with the blindspot means a wide berth, let them lead and let them choose where to stop. And some patience. I usually take over route planning so I can look at maps while they get ready to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always get a warm feeling inside if I'm in a position to give a Boarding buddy a welcome tow on the flats wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lucy_Maria, Never share a chair lift with them Toofy Grin

Oh, & welcome to snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick skiers and quick boarders should give each other a lot of room we tend to focus down the hill and whatever anyone says about being aware of what's going on around them it is still peripheral to picking your line through the weebles. Boarders in a carve can turn as fast or faster than a slalom ski. I dislike skiing in large groups of similarly skilled peers without some sort of agreement on who leads off and how long we should hang back before setting off. My right nut still aches in cold weather 'cos I was heavier and therefore quicker than a skier in front and when we tangled as she stalled on a little rise and my inertia kept me sliding her pole inflicted an intimate injustice Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would advise avoiding the "Pensioner Stop"; you know the random unexpected but complete emergency stop, right in front of a boarder. Boards need to turn in order to stop.
Which also means giving a board a wide berth when you want them to stop, unless you like the skid marks on your ski's
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque,

Did you feel like one of those little cocktail sausages on a stick?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, Or melon balls?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lucy_Maria, I think akirk, has it right. The two boarders I skied with last year (and will be again this year) meet at predetermined points - end of run, lift, bar, etc.

Alternatively, take a crucifix and some wooden stakes and............................................ wink

They are the dark side after all!!!!
ski holidays
Lucy_Maria wrote:
Does anyone else have experience of skiing with borders

Yes I have. Carry a passport and remember they speak a different language on the other side. You should therefore speak to them slowly and, above all, loudly.
latest report
dogwatch, So thats why skiers always sound like they are talking gibberish, about their canting, and angulation, and unloading their uphill leg. Probably why they feel the need to point at everything with their pointy ski-bats too. Toofy Grin
snow report
My OH is a boarder, I always let him got ahead as I too hate that sound behind me and he is invariably faster and likes to ride the soft stuff on the edges of the piste. My son who is 8 has now declared he wants to take up boarding as we told him he could once he could ski well. I may be in the minority in the family soon Confused
snow conditions
To fit in better you could try wearing your pants a little lower and show a bit of builder's bottom cleevage. wink
latest report
you dont really need to make any allowances other than not stopping on flats, although if you do, most snowboards will keep going and stop in a suitable place for them. The only thing that some snowboarders will try and do is put themselves in specific places on a chair lift....
snow report
Quote:

themselves in specific places on a chair lift....

This is true - personally prefer an outside left or right position to avoid clattering kit together or people resting their skis on your board putting the weight of their kit and your kit through 1 ankle (yes wife, looking at you Mad )
ski holidays
Never share a T bar with a boarder, its much more fun watching two boarders clinging together for dear life while being dragged uphill by a hook through the cruciate ligament (or is that just Glencoe T bars) In fact if you pick routes with lots of flat spots and T bars they might all convert to skis!
snow report
always good fun to take them to a little side country with a bit of a dip and pole/skate out. Particularly if the lift you are going back to is a long drag Very Happy
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

themselves in specific places on a chair lift....

This is true - personally prefer an outside left or right position to avoid clattering kit together or people resting their skis on your board putting the weight of their kit and your kit through 1 ankle (yes wife, looking at you Mad )

Yup, I like to be on the outside where all other occupants of the chair are on my toe edge side, had a narrow miss coming off a chair when two skiers cut across me and put a nice chunk in my top sheet and nearly knocked me over too.
snow report
DB, LOL Very Happy
latest report
I do the same; if you keep yourself on the outside of the herd moving through the queue I don’t see why it should be seen as inconveniencing anyone. Skiers forget that snowboarders have absolutely no snowplough function and can only check their speed (especially for novice/intermediate boarder) by turning if the chairlift dismount is steep or fast so it is obviously in everyone’s best interest if they can slide away from the other occupants rather than into them!
latest report
Quote:

if you keep yourself on the outside of the herd moving through the queue I don’t see why it should be seen as inconveniencing anyone

Agreed - don't see that as a problem.
latest report
kat.ryb, JanA, Not all skiers forget or see it as a problem. I'm perfectly happy with my mates taking the outside line in a queue because they (obviously) prefer the outside chair on a lift - also means I can lean on them when I'm getting off.... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They are forever faffing around with boots, bindings etc.
snow conditions
Col the Yeti wrote:
Never share a T bar with a boarder, its much more fun watching two boarders clinging together for dear life while being dragged uphill by a hook through the cruciate ligament (or is that just Glencoe T bars) In fact if you pick routes with lots of flat spots and T bars they might all convert to skis!

Only true if both the skier and the boarder are rubbish!

I heard this talk for so long I nearly believed it. Then last week, my place in the queue had me ended up with a little kid on a board. Needlessly, I dreaded the moment... Nothing! Absolutely nothing happened!!!

We both sail up the slope peacefully, chatting casually along the way, event though the lift stopped and re-started several times. One of the stop was so long both of us took our hands off the bar, and we were far enough away from both end we didn't hear the re-start "ring". But we simply stayed balanced and continued on.
ski holidays
abc, It must just be Glencoe then, it was carnage on Saturday. Or I am just rubbish (Yep that could be it Blush )
snow conditions
Sharing with a skiers on a t-bar is great. Keeps it all nice and stable. With another boarder, opposite stance is best, but 2 goofies or 2 regulars is fine if need be.
snow report
stevomcd, great opportunity for a bit of spooning!
snow conditions
meh, right - got to time it right so you hook up with the cute blondie snow bunny! wink
latest report
Col the Yeti wrote:
Never share a T bar with a boarder, ...In fact if you pick routes with lots of flat spots and T bars they might all convert to skis!

I think you missed out the word "incompetent" there. Competent boarders have no issues with any of that. I ride a lot with skiers, some of them are even fairly competent, but I know better than to prejudge their ability based on what they ride. You have to watch their first turn.

T-bars, button lifts, rope tows, helicopters, pick up trucks, whatever: lifts are no problem to any competent snowboarder or skier. Some snowboarders whine about lifts, but they're really just bad snowboarders.

On the OP, I'd just encourage the boarders to learn to ride faster. There's no significant difference at a resort between the two devices (on a speed course skis are quicker; in powder boards are quicker; but at a resort you're mostly limited by the terrain and other peoples' safety). Blaming your gear for slowness is lame for boarders or skiers.
latest report
Wow, what a response. I'll be sure to tr some of these out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy