Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for a resort - just for a change

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Previously we (wife and I) have only ever been to the Jungfrau region in Switzerland - and even then technically only tobogganing at that. Next week we have finally found some courage (well we did last year when we booked it) and will be actually learning to ski in Mürren.

I've managed to twist her arm (provisonally) that if we enjoy it - we will go away again on a cheapie for a week commencing w/e Mar 22/23rd. We have already booked the time off work for March, and intend to do a very late availability purely for price reasons.

Would anyone be able to recommend a Resort we can give the tour operators (closer to the time) to work on for our Late Availability holiday - bearing in mind the following ?

Would like a smallish resort (smallish piste) as only beginners and to keep lift pass costs to a minimum.
Resort not to be a concrete jungle if possible
Snowsure (ish) Madeye-Smiley
Resort/Airport Transfers (which will be part of TO's package) not to exceed 2 hours

Any suggestions welcome - but somehow i think Canada is out of the question snowHead

cheers all!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gamer2471, a late season last minute job is a great idea but you need to keep a very open mind as to destination - and a lot will depend on snow cover, as well as availability. The cost of ski passes doesn't vary as much as you might think - I ski in quite a small French resort but the cost of the pass isn't a spectacular bargain (though a season pass, bought before the end of November, is Cool. You might find a super last minute bargain in, say, Courchevel 1650 where the bargain cost more than outweighed any additional cost for the pass. A ski pass in a Euroland resort might seem a bargain compared to Switzerland. wink

Best to look again at this, nearer the time.

Meanwhile, have a lovely time in Murren. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon the two best resorts for you would be Obertauern or Obergurgl, both in Austria. Both are under two hours transfer, both high altitude (Obergurgl is the highest) and both feature a decent range of hotels. They've both got a bit over 100km of well groomed piste and plenty blue runs to suit 2nd week intermediates. For a couple it's usually better value to stay in a hotel on Half Board rather than an apartement or chalet. Austria has the best value hotels and the best value on-slopes bars and restaurants.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gamer2471, on keeping the cost of a lift pass to a minimum, the comparison on this thread may interest you http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31270#748997 It was about 7 years ago, so prices will have changed and also with the variance in exchange rates, the Swiss resorts have become a lot more expensive, but it may help as a guide if lift pass cost is to be a big factor.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few UK tour ops go to Les Carroz in France and. I think you may get a good deal on an apartment. Nice tree lines slopes, attractive small village, and only an hour from Geneva. I would also second the suggestion made of Courchevel 1650 (now called Courchevel Moriond) though the transfer is probably nearer 2 hrs 30. No need for a full 3 valley's pass there, and nice gentle slopes above the village perfect for beginners.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
go to a very small resort, once you get hooked you will very likely want something a bit more extensive so really this is your only chance, so id leave Courchevel for later and go to Alpach or Flitzmoos or Puy or Sainte Foy or Pila or somewhere like that - having checked snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thankyou to all..
suggestions taken on board and so i think its going to be Austria, with a little bit of good fortune, come booking time (1st or 2nd week in March).

ta snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy