Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lindsey Vonn withdraws

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
from the Sochi Olympics, cant make it, so what chance Chemmy? should she withdraw and allow someone else to take her place?? would BSS/BOA actually pick anyone anyway??
Shame as Im a LV fan, would have loved to have seen her ther Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Damn, we've got 2 Lindsey thrreads going (a minute apart, you won iskar) - can a mod do something clever.

Meanwhile this is what she said:

Quote:
I am devastated to announce that I will not be able to compete in Sochi. I did everything I possibly could to somehow get strong enough to overcome having no ACL but the reality has sunk in that my knee is just too unstable to compete at this level. I'm having surgery soon so that I can be ready for the World Championships at home in Vail next February. On a positive note, this means there will be an additional spot so that one of my teammates can go for gold. Thank you all so much for all of the love and support. I will be cheering for all of the Olympians and especially team USA! XO Lindsey
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was going to post a couple of weeks ago. Much as I admire Chemmys' grit and determination I honestly think it's her last hurrah in terms of drumming up other media related work. I really hope she can do well, but do suspect it's futile and is just pension related commitment. Which of course I can't blame her for.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yop I'm with you ansta1.

She's given her whole career a good crack and can retire with no regrets. It's impossible to know when you hit your peak as we all strive for more - but like you say can't have much left in the tank.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ansta1 wrote:
I was going to post a couple of weeks ago. Much as I admire Chemmys' grit and determination I honestly think it's her last hurrah in terms of drumming up other media related work. I really hope she can do well, but do suspect it's futile and is just pension related commitment. Which of course I can't blame her for.

+1
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
iskar, Do you have a replacement in mind that would perform better than Chemy in the speed events? Or if anyone has got the qualification requirements meet?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iskar, Fattes13, There are no other women/girls in GB that are currently anywhere near the BSS/BOA Olympic qualification criteria to replace Chemmy anyhow.
Especially in the speed events as BSS do not support any speed programmes what so ever so very few if any girls are racing DH or SG! They only support the Tech programmes, so possibly for Korea in 2018??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martin Bells daughter is doing very well apparantley, so might be ready for 2018 !! but unless there's funding it might be a long time before we see a woman or mens downhill racer from britain...oh hum
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bottom line is, for right or wrong, results release funds. Ok yes there is a whole chicken/egg thing here, but should the limited pot of public funding be channeled into developing sports where we don't have any stand-out talent, when other sports where we do have accepted world-class talent has to struggle to get any funding at all?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

martin Bells daughter is doing very well apparantley, so might be ready for 2018 !!

Why would people choose to ski for GB when they have other choices? We set our qualification limits higher than set by the races so we don't send qualifying skiers to races like the world championship etc. so they never get that baseline of experience they need to then do well later. We don't provide any funding and we set our Olympic qualification very high too.

The way things are currently set up, all those kids who live outside the UK and are doing really well, will probably exercise their other choices; after all the kids don't have the same allegiance to the UK as their parents.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gryphea, But will they be good enough to get into the Swiss/Austrian/French Program Look at weiriter she races for Liechtenstein and not Switzerland as did Marco Büchel, there is a very talented Irish Girl form St Gervais who is on the French Junior program but her parents don't think she will be in a few years and she may switch back to Ireland.

There is a lot of competition for places in Alpine nations on teams, sure Maier was dropped from the Austrian team Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fattes13,

Yeah, I get that , the competition aspect. But do Ireland set the really high qualification levels that GBR set? ie is it not an equally attractive option? Wouldn't Ireland be proud to send someone who met the race qualification targets to the World Championship etc? And then if she's the only skier there is the advantage of a country spot. Why is there any advantage to being on the GBR team? They don't fill their spots, they provide no funding, they set qualification criteria above similar nations.

I thought Tina was actually from Lichtenstein? and they support her, so why go elsewhere (of course I know she trains elsewhere)

Here if you make the canadian team and obtain the funding all well and good, but if you don't and you're promising you can pay your way and get the team training. Robbie Dixon and a few others do this and its $20,000 (reportedly). How much do Chemmy, Dougie and TJ have to cough up for their programme? Obviously its not all roses, hence the Larissa situation but I'm just saying that if a skier is really promising (and many of these will reside outside GBR) they have some choices and it would be in GBRs team interest to at least offer something, anything even if it doesn't involve money (ie race starts when they qualify).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy