Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi all new forum user from Durham England (advice please)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi to all, I'm Liam from Durham I've skied 8 holidays across European resorts and I'm trying Bulgaria (bansko) in 3 weeks !! With the girlfriend (her first time off the dry slope lol) just wondering if it's any good I'm not going for hardcore skiing just really as a warm up for her and a bit affordable luxuries 5* first time hah, usually I'd go with the lads but they're all too tied up this year so the girlfriends being forced to go.. Sure you understand. Another question for those who've been there is are there any good shops for clothing I was thinking of buying her stuff out there or just renting from uk as most rent their first time anyway, also I'm getting sick of rental ski's/ snowboards, does anyone know a good mid range ski for me preferably twin tip not so much the park side of it just like them basically I'm 5'11 and 11.5 stone just looking for good advice and knowledge as I'm a good intermediate skier and think I warrant my own boots and planks. Thanks for reading & sorry about the life story paragraph, cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LAninetyone, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy
Maybe a good idea to change your thread title to attract specific help or move to equipment section?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LAninetyone, welcome to SH

I'd try and get your girlfriend clothing before you go - there are lots of good stuff at reasonable prices in Go Outdoors, TK Max, MOuntain Warehouse etc. IN my experience clothing out there is a) branded and b) stupid money!

Certainly sounds like you're ready for your own stuff - again in my experience I'd try and get across to Chille factor in Manchester etc and try and demo a lot of skis see what you like.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a run up the road and have a look in LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle. They have loads of kit and clothing and the staff are great in my opinion.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Liam...Cotswolds in Durham do good range of clothing....Snow and Rock at MetroCentre for skis, salopettes....LD at Dean St, Newcastle if you want boots....have fun.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LAninetyone, Go Outdoors usually have a good selection of ski kit (clothing only) too - there's one at West Denton or another at Portrack in Teesside.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads - make sure you use the right smiley wink Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andrewchalmers wrote:
Liam...Cotswolds in Durham do good range of clothing....Snow and Rock at MetroCentre for skis, salopettes....LD at Dean St, Newcastle if you want boots....have fun.

The clothing is for the girlfriend not me, I have all my own stuff and I know countless outdoor shops (never out of them lol) as I do a lot of climbing and hiking, I was simply looking for advice on brands and models of ski's & boots for myself, I have no problem buying in this country I was just wondering if it would have been worth the wait until the Bansko shops as Bulgaria is supposed to be cheap? from experience I know that France, Austria, Italy and Switzerland are more expensive than the UK for branded gear, my worry is that I'll spend good money on gear for her and she may never want to go back.. and on the other hand she's a sissy when it comes to cold temperatures so I don't want to buy total rubbish, does anyone rate Columbia Gear as I've never dealt with it, it seems to be mid range?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LAninetyone, Columbia is fine - warm and dry. Can she borrow off friends?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
LAninetyone, my kids (now adults) have had and still do have Columbia gear. Keeps them warm and dry.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
LAninetyone, Columbia is fine - warm and dry. Can she borrow off friends?

sadly not I'm afraid, like I've considered renting from Reynolds in Sunderland's town centre, its 2013 Columbia jackets and 'white rock' salopettes for £35 pw.. fair I guess, back to shopping around outdoor shops.. (love it really) thanks for all the fast replies!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tkmaxx all the way.....and decathlon for gloves/socks. should be able to get the lot for <£100!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LAninetyone, if that's £35 all in for jacket and sallies I'd opt for that and buy socks, gloves & base layers which can be worn apart from skiing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

she's a sissy when it comes to cold temperatures so I don't want to buy total rubbish

then she won't want to be tottering round in bulgaria in the freezing cold looking for a warm coat and trousers, will she? Get her kitted out before you go, T K Maxx etc are absolutely fine. I spent two entire seasons in a pair of Columbia salopettes bought ex-hire (and hardly used) for £10.

But don't skimp on the lessons - sign her up for lessons on the snow if you want her to get to love skiing and not end up cursing you. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Liam
I live in Chester le Street and have hired three times from Reynolds for me and my husband then me and my son. I am a bigger girl (size 18-20) and for the three years I have hired from them, each time they have still had the new labels on. I dont know if its just coz big girls dont hire from them lol. The gear my hubby and son got was not new with tags but was excellent condition. I can definitley be recommending and will be actually hiring again for my son this month.
ski holidays
But if you've hired 3 times you got have bought your own for less? (Although I guess then you do have to store them...)
ski holidays
Welcome to Snowheads fellow northerner! I'm from Teesside but went to Uni at Durham - nice place Wink

Get her some stuff from TK maxx before you go, there should be something in there relatively cheap.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

she's a sissy when it comes to cold temperatures so I don't want to buy total rubbish

then she won't want to be tottering round in bulgaria in the freezing cold looking for a warm coat and trousers, will she? Get her kitted out before you go, T K Maxx etc are absolutely fine. I spent two entire seasons in a pair of Columbia salopettes bought ex-hire (and hardly used) for £10.

But don't skimp on the lessons - sign her up for lessons on the snow if you want her to get to love skiing and not end up cursing you. wink

HI all, again, she's went out and rented this time some Columbia gear from Reynolds the XS still had the tags on as its new stock so I guess that's a bonus, and I haven't skimped on lessons lol her first two days are tutorial in an instructed group so she will be fine I guess she's not bad now on the dry-slope .. in the mean time I will get some free go nuts time in and learn a few good gentle routes for her. As we're on the topic of gear I've just bought a mountain equipment pamir jacket has anyone skied in one? if so any good? I was going to use my hard shell what I use usually with some good layers but it has no powder skirt, this has never affected me in the past as my trousers have a high bib and its a narrow cut for climbing but I thought id treat myself to an insulated jacket for a bit comfort, I know they aren't focussed on skiing as such, as a brand but the majority of my kit is Mountain Equipment and Paramo and I swear by them.. any thoughts welcome thanks again for all welcomes and replies Happy
latest report
LAninetyone, try tog 24 or one of the other mountain shops at Royal Quays, in North Shields. They often have some good value stuff which is also good quality
snow conditions
[quote="a.j."]But if you've hired 3 times you got have bought your own for less? (Although I guess then you do have to store them...)[/quote

Me and hubby hired the first time and bought the kids stuff. Following year as I was trying to lose weight I hired again in a different size and hubby bought his gear and we bought again for kids, selling the stuff from the previous year. The following year I had lost my weight so I bought my own gear. Had a year off and went skiing two years after my purchase of ski gear and I had gained weight so no longer fit into it so I had to hire gear again. It only cost £35 for the outfit and didn't want to buy again coz I was slimming........again! So for me hiring suited my needs. However we are going skiing twice this year so I know it will cost me £70 to hire so instead (even though I am slimming again) I decided to buy a cheapest jacket for £50 from tk Max and will see if I can buy a pair of saloppetes for about £30 then sell if I eventually do lose weight. We are hiring for oldest son as he is 6ft and still growing and into mansize prices Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 9-01-14 1:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Smile ah - i'm using the lure of my favourite (rather svelte) salopettes to ensure that by january each year i am the same weight NehNeh Although last year i did need to do some mid-week sewing!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy