Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken ski boot, should this have happened?

Poster: A snowHead
Don't worry about me, I'm pretty thick skinned! As a doctor it's just a relief that no one is talking about suing me. Although if I don't get contacted by the store tomorrow, with a sensible plan as to how they are going to ensure I have some new boots pronto, I will be becoming somewhat less reasonable than I have been so far...I can rapidly become ranty and petulant when off work with nothing to do!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I feel like I'm in some wierd parallel universe where snowheads is a legal forum Toofy Grin (see collisions thread also!)

I get it I guess holidayloverxx,beequin, just makes me sad Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lottie wrote:
Don't worry about me, I'm pretty thick skinned! As a doctor it's just a relief that no one is talking about suing me.

Smile Although the way we are going this week, just give it time. You didn't hit anyone when you fell did you Toofy Grin *runs and hides*
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although if I'd sued the idiot who broke my wrist I'd have made a packet...clearly his fault, loads of witnesses, needed two operations and almost ended my career. But hey, I choose to go skiing, no one forces me into it and luckily the NHS has a fairly generous sick leave policy so I'm not losing out financially yet...

People try to sue me for the strangest things, usually shortly after I've saved their life. The world's a funny old place.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a comment on whether you can or should sue anyone in this particular case (I hate the litigation culture but if I really had suffered nerve damage, and it was going to be permanent, and it was caused by a faulty product, then I'd consider taking legal advice myself, but it's obviously a matter wholly for you), but - to correct one thing - there's no reason why friends of yours can't be witnesses.

They just have to get into the witness box, swear to tell the truth and then do so.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So, one week on and still no new ski boots. Atomic, to be fair, were helpful in that they arranged to send a new pair of boots out to the shop I bought the original pair from....allegedly. Since then, nothing. I had to email them to find out that getting new boots sent out was indeed the plan. They couldn't even be bothered to ring me. Awesome customer service there. And it's looking like my injury may mean me cancelling my trip after all. It seems to be frowned upon to be off sick but go skiing Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, Doubt the damages for the personal injury would merit the cost of consulting a solicitor. It would be a small claim anyway. Only worth even thinking about it if you have legal expenses cover on your house insurance. It does sound like they were faulty, so you would have a case, but the cost of litigating out of your own pocket ain't worth it.

You could reject the goods as not fit for purpose, as I would say (as a fully qualified lawyer) that a boot that falls apart after 10 days would entitle you to do so. N0-it should not happen. I don't think it's too late to reject them. You don't need a full on consultation with a solicitor to tell you that. You wore them 10 days, they broke-there can be not other reasonable explanation for why they broke.
Keep it simple!

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act.

But.... as you want to keep em, that would be your choice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perty,
Lottie is a surgeon. The point about consulting a solictor is not the (in the grand scheme) minor cost of a cancelled holiday. The point is just in case (how ever unlikely it is) that she has lasting damage that would make it difficult to work in the field she has spent a decade or more training for. That would not be a small claims issue! I'm sure it won't come to that but if it was me I'd be taking precautions just in case.
Jed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jedster, quite.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Could it be the other way around though? I've lost one of the rivets on Hawx 100, but they were getting a good beating. When I took them to the shop to fix the buckle they've replaced the rivet and tightened up the other one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
never summer wrote:
Could it be the other way around though? I've lost one of the rivets on Hawx 100, but they were getting a good beating. When I took them to the shop to fix the buckle they've replaced the rivet and tightened up the other one.

exactly , it is a screw in part, the key to tighten it is supplied, using it is optional
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, Yeah, I've started keeping the key in my boot locker since then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i say it is supplied...Atomic supply one in each box, whether or not the shop passes it on to the customer is another matter (from the 3 PM's i have just had asking if they come with all atomic boots(not ones we supplied)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine was in the box (Thanks Colin) just wish I'd used it sooner and didn't have to buy new screws, still I now have spares just in case... Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I definitely did not have any sort of key - have just looked in the box they came in - or any instructions that I would need to tighten anything. Irrespective of that, I'm not convinced that after 10 days of use, both rivets should fall out in such dramatic fashion...anyway, lesson learnt and if I ever get another pair of boots (still hoping here...) I'll be sure to make sure I get the key.

But for now, I just want some boots.....please!
snow report
So exactly which screws on my Hawx do I need to be tightening, after reading this thread I've dug out the tool that came with mine and the booklet but I can't find any mention in there of maintenance adjustments needed and I don't want to mess the boot setup up as it works well for me!
snow conditions
I've had problems in the past with screws undoing, not on Atomic, on Tecnica.
Apart from the risk, the inconvenience of having to try and track down missing bits across ski shops is a real pain (especially once the boots are several years old).
I now Loctite all the threads (except for buckles), and check the screws at the start of each ski trip.

no longer a problem...
latest report
davkt wrote:
So exactly which screws on my Hawx do I need to be tightening, after reading this thread I've dug out the tool that came with mine and the booklet but I can't find any mention in there of maintenance adjustments needed and I don't want to mess the boot setup up as it works well for me!

either side at the ankle areas, if they have a torx screw head on them (some do some don't) then just make sure they are tight, a little threadlock doesn't go amiss

as for them coming undone after 10 days use, perfectly possible if they were not tight enough in the first place (ie adjusted or not checked)
latest report
Update - I finally have some new boots! Atomic sent a new pair of Hawx 100 (no idea why I wrote 90 in the original posting...got confused) to Snow and Rock and I went to get them fitted today. Bizarrely, the pair they sent out, despite being the same size as my old pair, were slightly too big and I had significant heel lift. To cut a long and tedious story short, I now have some perfectly fitting Atomic Waymaker Carbon 100, which are actually a better fit than my original boots so all good. Can't fault the service I got from S+R today.

The chap in the shop confirmed to me that my original pair (as do my new pair) had pressed in rivets rather than ones which need to be tightened...so it seems there was nothing I could have done to prevent them falling apart which makes me feel a bit better.

So, happy with the new boots but sad I'll be cancelling next weeks ski trip, can't really justify going when I'm still unable to work. Any ideas for an alternative holiday?!
snow conditions
Great news Smile On alternatives - got any airmiles? Lots of great asia beach hols this time of year - Thailand would be my vote!
snow report
Thanks CEM, yep mine are Torx headed will check dig out the tread lock and sort them out.
lottie, How about Madeira? The nasty touristy bit is easily avoided, lots of great hiking round the Lavardas and up into the mountains and looking a the weather forecast currently around 20C and sunny.
ski holidays
Regarding screws coming loose, myself and others had the same problem with transporting cycles by aircraft (chainset bolts
brakes ect) have been told its caused by the vibration of the engine while being transported in the cargo hold.
snow report
^ That must have been what happened to Mrs L when she left her passport on the plane in Vancouver. Smile
snow conditions
New boots with rivets shouldn't be shearing off unless design loads are grossly exceeded - it's that simple. If it were a design issue, then many more instances of this would have shown up by now. I think it's an occasional, assembly rivet fitting error, that should not have occurred - very rare and unfortunate for Lotte. Glad to read she is happy with her new boots but sad about missing her holiday! Its a hard slog working in the NHS. I like Lottie's attitude alot. Good luck Lottie.
ski holidays
Are you sure they are a pressed rivet, all the way asked 100carbon women's boots we have use the excentre cant bolts send me a picture if you are unsure
ski holidays
lottie wrote:
Update - I finally have some new boots! Atomic sent a new pair of Hawx 100 (no idea why I wrote 90 in the original posting...got confused) to Snow and Rock and I went to get them fitted today. Bizarrely, the pair they sent out, despite being the same size as my old pair, were slightly too big and I had significant heel lift. To cut a long and tedious story short, I now have some perfectly fitting Atomic Waymaker Carbon 100, which are actually a better fit than my original boots so all good. Can't fault the service I got from S+R today.

The chap in the shop confirmed to me that my original pair (as do my new pair) had pressed in rivets rather than ones which need to be tightened...so it seems there was nothing I could have done to prevent them falling apart which makes me feel a bit better.

So, happy with the new boots but sad I'll be cancelling next weeks ski trip, can't really justify going when I'm still unable to work. Any ideas for an alternative holiday?!

Glad it's sorted. Is there space on the EOSB? That will give some time for you to recover? Or do you mean some where else to go next week? In which case I would be trawling last minute dot com and secret escapes type websites.
snow report
lottie,
Quote:

So, happy with the new boots but sad I'll be cancelling next weeks ski trip, can't really justify going when I'm still unable to work

Hi Lottie, as one surgeon to another I can sympathise (and great news about the new boots) but would ask what specifically is the issue? Is it going on holiday at all when you are currently off on sick leave or going on a ski trip? My past "colleagues" would have been arsey about the former (actually just arsey) but if that is not the issue then mountain air is of course a heal-all as we know. Assuming you have already paid for the trip go anyway, sit on the balcony, catch up on the reading, drink genepi, snow shoe, and perhaps even try out the new boots. If not then head south; you could try the Gambia which is not too far, has no time issues but is far enough south to escape the current weather in europe (forecast tomorrow 15-16 degress Funchal, 31 degress Banjul). Of course you may need the malaria pills!
ski holidays
There is absolutely no way I could go on a ski holiday and not ski, I'd go crazy! The idea of spending a grand to sit around in the mountains is more like torture. I can't even do my ski boots up without significant pain so it would be a crazy idea. Knowing what I'm like though, if I went I'd drug myself up and ski regardless...

My colleagues are actually being lovely, but given this is the second potentially career threatening skiing injury in 3 years (it's never my knees, always my hands!) I think a third would be too much to expect sympathy for. Am going back to work tomorrow, will see how my list goes and make a final decision after that, but in my heart I know that skiing is finished for this season.

Will probably cancel my leave altogether and look for an extravagant diving holiday for later in the year...might even get round to booking Galapagos! Will have to avoid Facebook for a week so that I don't get too jealous of the other 13 people's status update and photos. And if I don't go, the bloke has offers to book a romantic mini break instead...to take my mind off it...silver linings and all that!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy