Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What!! No Snow!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As global temperatures rise experts on snow in Britrain say that it may become a thing of the past, so reports today's London Evening Standard.

Elliott Morley, the minister of state for climate change and the enviroment said " snowfall totals decline substantially over the whole UK in all our scenarios ".

Reg Eden of the Meterological Society agrees " We are going to see an awful lot lless snow in the future ". " We believe that snow-free winters are going to to become very common and six out of ten will be snow-free by 2050. Its going to be a gradual process. "

Well we can look back on the cold Victorian winters as depicted in many xmas cards with nostalgia if there is a grain of truth in these statements Puzzled .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hibernia, Alternatively, if the melting freshwater from the Greenland icecap upsets the saline concentations thought to maintain the Gulf Stream Current cycle, the UK could be in for Canadian style winters!
The one thing that seems likely is that the Winters will change - but in which direction Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For purely selfish reasons I'm hoping for the skiing/ice climbing season senario.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 25-11-05 0:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink wrote:
hibernia, Alternatively, if the melting freshwater from the Greenland icecap upsets the saline concentations thought to maintain the Gulf Stream Current cycle, the UK could be in for Canadian style winters!
The one thing that seems likely is that the Winters will change - but in which direction Puzzled

They really have not got a clue, these scientists!!. One day the big chill, the next global warming and the depletion of the ozone layer. I have just had it with those lot Evil or Very Mad

Seriously I do not think it matters if we burn these fossil fuels because climate is a long term thing that changes over centuries, nay millenia, and the vanity of man thinks that we can enforce change on nature.

the big chill is on its way

Can we change the headline please Puzzled wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a nearly qualified scientist (my thesis is taking rather a long time) I think I should defend the achievements of my fellow scientists. In good humour of course. Very Happy

Firstly, you can't lump the ozone layer in with other climate/environmental causes. As it is a clear cut case. CFCs destroy ozone in a chemical reaction, sadly at the end of the reaction most of the CFCs are reformed and so can go on to destroy more ozone. A global ban was placed on the production of CFCs when a large hole in the ozone layer over the Antartic was discovered. There are lots of CFCs around us in things like fridges and so they are still being released. Current studies suggest the hole will be mended by the end of the century. Very Happy

Global warming is rather more up for debate. The green house effect is a fact. It is why the earth has a moderate surface temperature. Mars with very little atmosphere is considerably colder, even accounting for it's extra distance from the Sun, and Venus with it's very thick atmosphere has an incredibly high surface temp. Throwing more C02 (a known greenhouse gas) into the atmosphere will clearly increase the greenhouse effect and so at a basic level heat up the earth. There is some tenuous evidence that human intervention has already started this process.

Historically however, for a range of not well understood reasons, the earth's surface temperature tends to fluctuate. See mini ice age starting about 1200ad lasting till 1900 etc for details. Working out whether we are actively having an affect on the climate is nearly impossible. For the logical reasons I mentioned above, one could conclude that the recent heating of the Earth coincides with large scale burning of fossil fuels and so there is a causal link. On the other hand you could conclude that the theory is not proven to a rigorous enough degree to bother making any lifestyle changes. It may well be that the Earth is about to plunge into a cold snap and so the small amount of global warming caused by humans will be the only thing that saves us.

If we make the assumption that human caused global warming is a reality and the Earth is going to heat up. Working out the specific effects on anyone region is almost impossible. Confused

Some people have suggested that melting fresh water from Greenland could disrupt the North Atlantic and so actually cool Britian. But for how long would this last? 100 years?

To conclude my mini essay (I only meant to write a couple of lines). If one assumes that there are no other major causes of climate change about to unexpectedly kick off, humans releasing vast amounts of C02 will warm the planet all things being equal. Whether this is a good or a bad thing will depend on where your grandchildren intend on living and on how much money you leave them in your will.

Whether or not we should make drastic lifestyle changes to prevent it? I certainly can't be bothered. Especially seeing as China is opening nearly 1 old school heavy polluting coal powerstation per month! Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy