Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery Airport – Why do they use it!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@andy1234, I was just making the point that things can go wrong with any kind of holiday. I was, when I wrote that, without electricity and waiting for EDF. Sitting comfortably in an empty apartment belonging to a friend. The circuit breaker in my consumer unit was broken. That sort of thing happens, as do plumbing emergencies. A renter in a privately owned apartment could find themselves in a similar situation but probably without a fall back. Even if there is an agent in the village, and even if that agent is contactable at 10 pm, they'd have a night, at least, without heating. In a hotel that could happen, but unlikely. And in a big apartment block of the Pierre et Vacances or Odalys style there would often be the possibility of moving to a different apartment.

Geneva airport, as @bertie bassett says, can have its bad days. And it doesn't take much snow to virtually close it.

The main moral of a lot of the horror stories is to avoid going skiing at New Year if it's humanly possible. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only problem we've had flying out of Chambery, was a birdstrike! Instead of the plane climbing, we leveled out & the stewardesses ran up & down the plane looking out of the windows. We then had to divert to Heathrow rather than land at Bouremouth, as the engines needed to be checked out. Led to a 3hr delay, but I think we were all just relieved to be safe.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, I know, but...

I have kids so I am stuck with xmas, NY, 1/2 term of easter. All of which are stupid busy.

And heading to the mountains a couple of days after xmas is a great feeling. Shame going back to work in January is arguably one of the worst feelings. Borderline depressed this week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, I have heard that GVA has sold its snow clearance machine because they say they dont need it - hence it closes with smaller amounts of snow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mike-H Even worse here, it's not the kid that are the problem, it's the wife being a teacher. In Scotland we don't run the risk of being deported to the Gulag for sneaking the kid out of school for a week but I'm not sure we'd get away with the wife taking a week's 'sickie'. Otherwise I'd love nothing more to get away when the airports and resorts are quiet (although it was nice to look forwards to getting away just after Xmas). We don't even have the Half-Term option here either as the kid only gets 4 days (Fri-Wed) and the wife 2 (Fri & Mon) in Feb.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisb wrote:
@pam w, I have heard that GVA has sold its snow clearance machine because they say they dont need it - hence it closes with smaller amounts of snow

Why would they do that ? Even Gatwick has an army of snow clearing machines now after 2010.

I suspect that might be a case of Chinese whispers !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ravelin, Same boat here. First child in school, second child starting September and wife teaches. more GRRRRRRRRRRR.

I guess organising a long weekend with kids is probably way too much hassle and stress for 2-3 days skiing.

@2planks, Probably.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Same here, first child year 9, second child year 4, wife secondary maths teacher...... more GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I feel your pain; first child 17, second child 14 and wife an NTA (paid milk moniter).

So, two trips on me tod this season WooHoo!! snowHead Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many of our guests use Chambery airport, due to the much shorter transfer time. Can't say we've experienced many problems over the years, certainly no more than Geneva or any other airport.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I have kids so I am stuck with xmas, NY, 1/2 term of easter. All of which are stupid busy.

Not so. Christmas is nothing like as busy as New Year and Easter, except in some of the places where Brits flock in their farsands, can be really quiet. It's dead low season in France, with accommodation prices the same as mid January. New Year is probably the busiest single week of the year throughout much of the Alps.

And unless parents are teachers, like my daughter and son in law, you can take kids out of school despite some of the dire warnings that you will immediately turn into pillars of salt and your children will never get a single GCSE.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chrisb wrote:
If thats true it's on a par with the Environment agency selling the dredgers that kept the drains on the Somerset levels clear.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, I am a sucker for the NY week. However, Easter price is looking good for 2016. Saving me about £1800 so its looking like a may be switching that year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I am a sucker for the NY week

so, it appears, are lots of people. But if they want to go skiing at the busiest and most expensive time of the year and with a statistically dodgy kind of snow record, good for them.

Provided they don't give me any sob stories about not having any choice... and complain about crowded airports and difficult journeys. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy