Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time snowboarding in Voss,Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are going to Voss at the beginning of February,staying in the Vossestrand hotel & apartments for 3 days and then moving to Myrkdalen hotel for our last 3 days.
We are complete novices to snowboarding and Norway so just looking for any helpful info and tips?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome Candy1,
Can't offer any specific advice on Norway, but if this is your first time on a snowboard, look to get several half-day instruction sessions from a proper snowboard instructor.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't help on Norway but if you are a first time snowboarder then I recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Snowboard-Neil-McNab/dp/1405315741?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alcohol v expensive

Low alcohol beer from the supermarkets is much cheaper but is uk normal level
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Norway the first time in the summer, very impressed by the scenery, friendliness and universal knowledge of English, less impressed by costs on the ground...a combination of high taxes, 25% VAT, high standard of living and strong currency. Having a beer out is prohibitive at nearly £10, eating out is pricey, very easy to spend £30 a head, buying food in supermarkets was typically 50% more than the UK.

I drove past through Voss and Myrkdalen both ways on my way to the fjords. Scenery, waterfalls, lakes, wooden farms, all very nice, not as traditionally alpine and jagged as the Alps, more like the Scottish Highlands on steroids, lots of tunnels on the roads. The Myrkdalen ski area looked OK for a beginner, probably not enough terrain to satisfy an intermediate or above skier. Bear in mind that it is a fair way (15 miles) to the town of Voss from there and not a lot else except the ski accommodation there.

+1 you need to get expert instruction if you're a beginner.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Candy1, I've done quite a bit of skiing in Norway (although not Voss specifically) and in my experience the instructors will invariably speak excellent English and the tuition is of good quality- so you shouldn't have a problem with any of the beginner lessons that the local school (there will probably only be the one) have on offer.

Resorts are generally quiet and (as luigi says) the terrain tends to be moderate/beginner friendly - so I'd say Norway is a great place for your first trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the help everyone Madeye-Smiley I was starting to get worried as I couldn't find a whole lot of info about the area we are going to Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Candy1,
Con, The problem I found with Voss is that some of the 'pistes' are just links that are no wider than a single track road, so you need to take them quite slowly.

Pro, the instuctors will all speak excellent english and know where to take you as a beginner. February will have decent snow conditions all over the mountain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy