Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro - which one?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of getting my hubby a GoPro for his birthday but I don't have a good knowledge about these gadgety things.

Does anyone have one and use it for skiing?

From what I can see there seems to be a multitude of models, are there any I should avoid? What happens if they get wet?

Can anyone recommend a model for me?
Puzzled

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Black has all the features, Silver is probably all you need, White is not worth bothering with. They come with waterproof down to 60m case. I use mine for a sorts of holidays- great for skiing. 32gb card will last you all day, take a spare battery and you'll be good to film all day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you considered other brands, or is GoPro just the one you've heard of?

Drift Ghost, Ion the Action and Garmin ViRB are also worth looking at.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For skiing mounted on helmet I prefer the much cheaper contour - take a look at roam2 (better than gopro white imo). Downside is their support is awol at the moment due to a change in ownership - so only suitable for the tech savvy....

If you don't mind looking like a teletubby and want the best images/easiest as everyone else has one Toofy Grin the v3 Black/Silver gopro do have the edge for image quality and amazon are doing a good deal on the old Black3 now as the 3+ is out, worth a look.

If you want something a lot cheaper that does the job I've just picked up a polaroid xs100, not tried it yet but reviews looked good for its price point. Will post again when we've given it a try versus the contour.

aj xx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GoPro-Hero-Edition-Camcorder-Black/dp/B009TCD8V8/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1388959779&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=go+pro&tag=amz07b-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ContourROAM2-Handsfree-HD-Action-Camera/dp/B009CN8VRK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1388959796&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=roam2&tag=amz07b-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Extreme-Edition-Waterproof-Sports/dp/B00A81SXHI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1388959819&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=xs100&tag=amz07b-21

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 5-01-14 23:10; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got the Hero 3 and it's great (when I remember to charge it Embarassed )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies!

GoPro is what I've heard him mention, I'm not sure how another brand would go down Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, I'd suggest the 3 Black, bought one recently, great quality.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go for the black, not really that much more expensive than the silver and infinitely better.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is this a 3 or a 3+? Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
v1cky24 wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

GoPro is what I've heard him mention, I'm not sure how another brand would go down Confused

I've heard some starting to use 'gopro' as a generic descriptor to mean helmet cam. There'd be no harm in checking if he means that specifically
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
v1cky24, mines a 3 not a 3+
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think he means a GoPro because he's already got a helmet cam which he uses for his mountain bike trips. But I'll check of course!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If he wants a gopro then go with it, otherwise every time the camera you buy can't cope with light changes/speed or whatever you'll hear him muttering Smile) Given the 3+ still appears to have some teething problems - I'd think the black edition 3 I linked to above is your best bet. It was very popular and only just superceded by the 3+
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24 wrote:
I think he means a GoPro because he's already got a helmet cam which he uses for his mountain bike trips. But I'll check of course!

why can't he use his existing helmet cam????
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very good question kitenski, I think he's had his fill of it breaking/not recording etc probably not catching him ripping up the trails properly or something.
ski holidays
If you'd like a GoPro and Snow Heads discount, drop me a line Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hobby Mounts wrote:
If you'd like a GoPro and Snow Heads discount, drop me a line Madeye-Smiley

Any chance of a cheeky discount on a medium SP POV case? snowHead
snow report
He's been looking at a garmin virb now the internet history tells me. Does anyone have one of these?

Ps, just to help with my confusion, if I buy a gopro hero 3 black edition, will I need to buy any accessories to fix it to a helmet?

Thanks!
snow report
I've just bought a VIRB v1cky24, mainly on account of the inbuilt GPS sensor and the fact it can connect to my HR monitor and will eventually talk to my power meter. I can also control it from other Garmin devices like my bike computer and watch, which is a big plus for me.

I've not used it yet, as I'm waiting for a decent bike mount to arrive, but might give it a bash tonight as I have a helmet mount to try.

Reviews seem to say picture quality not quite as good as GoPro, battery life a bit better, link to HRM/power meter a benefit for nerdy cyclists and the remote control from other Garmin devices a winner if you're wall-to-wall Garmin like me.
snow conditions
v1cky24, Helmet mount comes with it. I'd suggest a battery pack to go with it though to extend run life. Got mine all set up yesterday ready for my trip at the weekend - I'm very impressed compared to my Contour - couldn't get on with tha at all. I've bought a Chesty chest mount too, should be a laugh.
snow report
Thanks all. I think the gps sounds like a handy feature and given it will be predominantly used for cycling maybe the garmin would be a better option. Hmm. And he is the guy who gets lost on sportives lol. Aaaaaaarggh decisions!!
snow conditions
If he has a Garmin Edge 800 or 810 then you can set one of the screens to control the camera, which is as neat feature. The K-Edge bar mounts look to be the best - they fit GoPro or Garmin (the Garmin comes with an adapter to use GoPro mounts) - quite expensive but bombproof.
snow report
Just bought a GoPro Hero 3 Black from SportPursuit (£255 delivered). Great value at the moment with the 3+ just released - basically £100 off full retail. It's all you could ever need for skiing/biking. I'll get a spare battery, memory cards and a chest mount to go with it for skiing, but comes with a decent range of mounts as standard.
snow report
uktrailmonster, My set up Very Happy
snow conditions
v1cky24, the Garmin Virb Elite is on special offer at Halfords at the moment (£50 off meaning £309) and they have another £20 off all GPS equipment that comes up automatically when you add it to your basket. It means the unit comes in at £289. Don't forget you'll need a micro SD card as well (about £20 for a 32GB Type 10)

The choice between the two is, IMHO, a close run thing but I've concluded that the GPS capabilities of the Garmin (particularly the ski element of it) means it beats the GoPro for me so I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

uktrailmonster,
Quote:

It's all you could ever need for skiing/biking.

for the time being Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Gosh - that's a good deal at Halford's - if you or your husband are members of British Cycling I think you get another 10% off that. I think I paid £315 for mine with 10% off.
snow report
I am a member of British cycling yes, I'm a ride leader for them Smile

Sounds like an excellent deal
latest report
I think the £20 off is a web based discount so might be excluded from the British Cycling discount. Obviously, at £309 you would be better off taking the BC 10% deal rather than the web discount of £20.

Good luck anyway
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a wee heads up on what seems a great price from argos of all places.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636462.htm

£219.99 for the Hero3 black, its the surf pack but I don't think that matters as I'm sure you'd be able to get anything else from Hobby Mounts.

Joe
snow report
Tiger2 wrote:
v1cky24

(about £20 for a 32GB Type 10)

Where from? I just paid about £45 for my 32GB card for my GoPro? it is one of the recommended ones though but all the others were over £70 anyway
ski holidays
Amazon. SanDisc Ultra
snow report
v1cky24, the non-GPS VIRB is under £200 on Amazon just now. I used my GPS one yesterday with my Edge (bike computer) and ended up replacing the GPS track with the one off the Edge as that had my cadence and power data on it. I think I'd still go for the GPS one for an extra £80 in case you want the GPS data fro skiing films.
ski holidays
Tiger2 wrote:
Amazon. SanDisc Ultra

which will be limited in terms of data write speed on the gopro to 35mbit/s
latest report
What are the recommended SD cards for the gopro?
ski holidays
Thanks for the help with this, he is now the proud owner of a gopro hero 3 black edition, tested it at Castleford last night.
latest report
I've just picked mine up from Argos tonight.
One if those impulsive bargain purchases.
There are a couple if bits I'm still trying to figure out but it seems a very nice peice of kit.

Joe
ski holidays
Handy Turnip, 10
ski holidays
Handy Turnip, http://gopro.com/support/articles/software-update-release is the list.
latest report
joe1978 wrote:
Just a wee heads up on what seems a great price from argos of all places.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636462.htm

£219.99 for the Hero3 black, its the surf pack but I don't think that matters as I'm sure you'd be able to get anything else from Hobby Mounts.

Joe

Great call, wish I'd seen that before buying mine! Definitely a bargain at that price
snow report
meh, Markymark29, cheers guys Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy