Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

that THREE roaming Ad - BEWARE!

Poster: A snowHead
UK mobile operator, Three, are advertising their "Feels Like Home" roaming SIM card deal - right here on snowheads, but beware of one thing.

You don't get any roaming for the first 30 days - which kind of beats the whole point of the main advantage of using your bundle allowances whilst roaming in certain countries like Austria, Italy, Sweden and now the USA.

It's a great deal and I've actually had the Austrian Three version of this for a few years BUT the 30 days limit is quite tucked away. This is the link from the Snowheads ad http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM - no mention here or any of the linked pages of this restriction.

I discovered the restriction after I purchased a SIM card from a Three shop today. Only when I registered for the online account access did I notice roaming was disabled, on phoning the customer services and the shop where I made the purchased they told me I'd have to wait 30 days before enabling roaming. No way around it, I even offered to pay a security deposit. I'm on a 12 month contract, they have credit checked me. Considering the "feel like home" roaming is the main attribute of the offer being pushed on the snowheads ad and what attracted me to the deal it's pretty wee wee-poor that that feature is in fact not available for 30 days.

I did ask about the "feel like home" roaming in the shop and no mentioned was made about the 30 day wait limit nor was it mentioned in the contract I signed. I'll be asking for my money back tomorrow. I have subsequently found this page on their website that specifies this limit, but by doing a search, it isn't linked to from the main landing page or any other as far as I can see.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=EXT(EM11925)

a few other little details it says is that in fact there is a 25GB data limit when using abroad (quite high but not unlimited), some time limits for using abroad and can't use data for tethering (though I doubt that is enforced)

I could have explicitly asked if the roaming was available straight away but it never occurred to me it wasn't when that's the key feature of the deal.

I think admin should be contacting Three about this because it's being targeted at snowheads who like me may think this is useful for a forthcoming ski trip to Austria or Italy or US or Sweden. The 30 day delay limit should be made clear on the first page the ad links to in my view, though I ultimately when to a shop and they didn't mention it either.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, I was thinking about the deal myself. I won't bother now, as it is less than 30 days until I go on my next trip.
#
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cancel the contract…I did and they MAGICALLY managed to give me roaming in the first week!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little confused..... So the delay in this offer is from the date you take out the contract and not the date you arrive in another country??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yup, date of contract
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They most certainly enforce ban on tethering!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup..no tethering.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tethering is permitted on the One contract, but not the others.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tethering within the UK on the One Plan is okay http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3582,Case=obj(3599)

just not abroad. From a quick google looks like you maybe able to still tether if you stay below a certain data bandwidth, but not too sure about that. There's also several ways to try and avoid the tethering, not that I'm advocating that you can use your data allowance in the way that suits you rather than the restrictive manner the provider insist. They seem to do a deep packet inspection and look at the user agent in the http header, if it's not a mobile agent you are assumed to be tethering, also talk of newer phones performing some handshaking when you start up wifi hotspot which can let the provider know you are a hotspot client and not a mobile device.

adam.b, are you on the one plan? have you tried tethering in UK and whilst abroad?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, I am on a pay monthly rolling one month contract...I assume it is the one plan as it is the top end one.

The no tethering is a massive PIA, I am cancelling the contract after this month, it is very inconvenient to need 2 sits, I would rather buy a local one and stick it in an old phone. Cheapest way I can find of providing some kind of wifi connectivity.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My son is on the £20 a month unlimited data contract (2 years). Fine for him but we have tried tethering my ipad, it's spotted immediately and blocked.

Still a good deal and the free Austria use was very useful last week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adam.b wrote:
Hi, I am on a pay monthly rolling one month contract...I assume it is the one plan as it is the top end one.

The no tethering is a massive PIA, I am cancelling the contract after this month, it is very inconvenient to need 2 sits, I would rather buy a local one and stick it in an old phone. Cheapest way I can find of providing some kind of wifi connectivity.

No, The One Plan is a 12 month contract:
http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=3034
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One plan is also available on a monthly rolling contract for and extra £3 a month.

I've been with three in the past and have just joined them again on Saturday and waiting for the PAC transfer to go through right now.
I was well aware of the 30 day limit, which I think is fair enough. Something for nothing and NOW seems a bit much to hope for from any mobile operator.

I didn't try very hard to uncover any hidden T&C's, in fact I've just checked and I can get the clear and concise info with four clicks from the three homepage.

Due to my own laziness I've cut it very fine to be able to use this for all of my first trip to Austria but if I can get it activated early with a bit of whining to CS then I might give that a go even though I know I'm not entitled to it! Little Angel

Joe

edited to add it can be checked in two clicks actually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joe1978 wrote:

I didn't try very hard to uncover any hidden T&C's, in fact I've just checked and I can get the clear and concise info with four clicks from the three homepage.
Joe

Care to share? Because so far the only way I found t&cs for the "feel like home" is by using the search facility. I'm not referring to roaming being delayed by 30 days but the actual terms and conditions about "feel like home" which is what is being advertised here on Snowheads - the ad clearly says goodbye roaming charges in Austria and Sweden and use your call & data allowance. Clicking through does not mention a 30 day delay until the main feature being advertised is actually available.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
waynos,

I'm not a Three fanboy in anyway. In fact I hold mobile operators in the same regard as injury claim lawyers, used car salesmen and the spotty kids in Currys who think they know more than you do! Smile

waynos wrote:
Care to share?

Clicking on the ad banner from Snowheads just directs to a simple sales page for SIM plans with no other information, which is expected as the ad alternates between two statements, one telling you SIM data prices and the other plugging the fell at home headline info.

From any part of the Three website you can hover the pointer over the"Support" banner, then click "Roaming and International". From this page click on "Feel at home" banner and pretty much all of the info is there. The only omission AFAIK is that on this page tethering isn't mentioned at all but if you click on "Visit our 'support page' for more info" full T&C's are there.
So 2-3 clicks at the most.

By no means do I mean to come across as being an back bottom, I just appreciate a bit of fairness that's all.

Joe
ski holidays
I changed from orange to 3 on 28th December when my contract ended. Was aware of this restriction but have just phoned 3 customer services (30min ago) and have now got IR without any arguments. So when i go to Mayrhofen on Sat I will be able to" feel like home". Result
latest report
kevinraine,
As per my previous statement don't trust them. There could be a difference to having roaming enabled and at home enabled. Call them to confirm categorically and note the details of the call just in case.
Joe
ski holidays
joe1978, thanks for the detailed reply, I certainly didn't take anything the wrong way from your previous post. You are right about accessing the feel at home page though I still think the landing page from the ad should connect direct to the t&cs since it's plugging the roaming using your allowance so heavily. A bit academic for me as I purchased in store, despite asking about the "feel at home" stuff the salesperson didn't mention the 30 day wait, nor did the paperwork I signed.

Customer service are refusing to enable roaming or "feel at home". The store have tried but got no further, they are trying an area manager tomorrow to move the case along. They aren't keen on cancelling the contract, claiming I can't, which I beg to differ as the contract I signed makes no mention of 30 days until I can actually use the service as sold to me. Not a great welcome to Three.
ski holidays
I was with them for 48 hours two years ago, before realising that I couldn't roam for a month. . Straight back to O2, but in the man time had lost my unlimited data with O2 . Why Three do this goodness only knows - they have unfettered access to your bank account and roamers will generally be very high value customers.
ski holidays
I spoke to them 7 days into my contract and they enabled roaming. No problemo...

Just ring them and tell them you need it.
snow report
three... do not trust them ,they are the low of the low. Do not deal with them over the phone only by email or letter.and will over charge you any which way they can
latest report
Been with Three for nearly 3-years

Been fine - dealt with them via phone and email and had no issue. Paying £10 pm now for the unlimited One plan, no complaints

Just goes to show errr something I guess
ski holidays
Boris, do you use data roaming in France with Three? The 'Feel at Home' service looks good (subject to whatever is in the T&Cs) but doesn't include France at the moment so not brilliant for me. I pay a couple of quid a day with O2 for data roaming in France. What does Three charge?
latest report
rob@rar, I switched to Three from o2 for this reason.

O2 = £1.99 for 15mb , this is rubbish and i can use this in 10 mins.
Three = £5 for Unlimited daily use.

That suits me.
ski holidays
Corduroy, thanks, and I agree that it's very quick to get through the miserly 15mb. However, I can almost ignore a couple of quid a day, but £5 becomes expensive if you spend 8-10 weeks in France during the winter.
ski holidays
Vodafone are £3 a day I use your full uk tariff abroad. Plus no call connection fees like O2 charge at 50p a time.
ski holidays
Corduroy wrote:
rob@rar, I switched to Three from o2 for this reason.

O2 = £1.99 for 15mb , this is rubbish and i can use this in 10 mins.

That has changed - it was 25Mb the last time I used it (December 2012) - but that also wasn't made clear on the page where it told you about the £1.99, so the first time I used it, I tethered my laptop, and downloaded a 180Mb file.

I got a text the next day saying that if I went over 25Mb again, I would be charged standard data rates.

I see from the website that with the new limit, you can't exceed it, your data access will just stop.
latest report
If I sign up for a contract, I expect it all to start on day 1. 30 day delay is certainly sneaky. I expect a 14-day cooling off period exists for online contracts, but not sure about in-store ones. I'd argue for one if it was not explicitly stated.

€1.99 for my o2 international data, but don't remember the exact volume. Never managed to hit it with a bit of browsing of sH, and checking emails etc. Think it is supposed to drop to WAP data rate when you hit the limit, but not sure how or where that's done (must be the o2 Germany servers I guess). So you don't get cut off as such, but WAP is so slow that you couldn't actually do anything useful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, will use on odd days and has been fine, £5 a day is too expensive for what I actually need it for
latest report
AHHHHHHHHH. Why did i switch to Three? Not only do I have to wait 30 days to actually use the SIMS as advertised but today I've ported my numbers to the Three SIMS (have 2 sims). Now lost internet access for my main SIM card. Ring customer services and they are clueless. Explain that phone is fine as it connects to the mobile internet BUT the Three system redirects all request to a three url telling me my internet access is disabled and telling me to enable internet access from settings through the myThree portal. Well the settings to enable internet are not available but for the second SIM which works the settings option is available. Issue has been raised to tech support to change some frigging flag on my account but could take 2 days! Fecking muppets how difficult can it be, it says on the portal site for the SIM in question "Your mobile isn't set up to access the internet" - there's a clue.
latest report
I shant be be bothering my hole with a reasoned reply as the "3" roaming ad blocks the last right hand side of the posts Mad rolling eyes Crying or Very sad
latest report
My experience suggests otherwise here - bought my son a 3 contract/phone for Xmas in mid December. Turned it on once here to prove it worked before I wrapped it. We had Xmas in Les Arcs, and roaming worked for him from Xmas day - about 10 days after I bought it. I'd made no special request to turn roaming on.

Only thing I can think of that makes as difference is that I'm already a 3 contract customer, and my son's contract is in my name, so maybe my own existing roaming somehow carried across, but the contracts are not linked in any way other than my name.

One word of warning, but I think this applies to any network, be careful skiing in resorts that join Switzerland (eg. Ishgl) - the regular transition from Feel-at-home to out-of-the-EU can result in unpleasant data-roaming charges Embarassed
snow conditions
Rung up 2 customer service again this morning, spoke with a different bob, this one immediately said "oh the internet access has been blocked, would you like me to enable it?" well yes please and it now works. Now just need to wait another couple of weeks for roaming to be enabled to access "feel at home" like it says just over there -----> on the right! (I'm not bitter and twisted, no not at all)
ski holidays
waynos, We travelled to spain 10 days after signing up. We just called and explained that we needed it on and offered to pay some £ onto our account. They said it wasn't needed and just switched it on no problem.
snow conditions
Corduroy, tried that, offered to pay etc, just not interested. I will try again as off abroad again next week.
snow report
Quote:

One word of warning, but I think this applies to any network, be careful skiing in resorts that join Switzerland (eg. Ishgl) - the regular transition from Feel-at-home to out-of-the-EU can result in unpleasant data-roaming charges

I've just checked on Vodafone website, and Switzerland is included in their £3 per day Euro Traveller.
snow report
waynos, Thinking about it more i didn't actually call them, i used the email contact form on the website and then they called back.....maybe its a different dept.

You could also try posting a rant on their Facebook and Twitter, this normally gets results.
snow conditions
Just for info I emailed them as well requesting international roaming to be turned on early and it wasn't a problem.
latest report
joe1978 and Corduroy, I took your advise and emailed them today. They rung back within 1 hour and enabled roaming Very Happy
I'm not sure if it's because I'm now only a week away from the 30days or another team respond to emails but will be testing it out later this week along with some powder skiing hopefully.
I tried tethering, at home in the UK, and got 10mb/s download, very impressive, will be even better when 4G becomes available. I'll try tethering whilst in Austria but according to t&cs probably will not work, though not that much of a problem for me.
ski holidays
waynos, Tethering does work abroad its just against the T&Cs, but unless u hammer it i don't see how they would really know or care.

I have found the speeds on 3 to be amazing, here in Notts i regularly get 20meg which is better than some home broadband providers.

Anyhow, pleased its sorted.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy