Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting into cross country skiing - how many lessons for beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but the search function isn't letting me search by title only

I want to do a bit of cross country skiing (the classic type, not skating) and was wondering what the learning curve is like ie. could one take an introductory lesson before heading off alone or is it a bit steeper than that?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moseyp, I'd say it depends where you are, and what your aims are. I've done three weeks of lessons in XC classic skiing, over the last five years, and am still fairly hopeless (I'm a moderately competent downhill skier and have also done a bit of snowboarding, which I found easier to learn than XC skiing).

But in an area where there are just flat XC tracks in the valley bottom, and if you are content just to kind of shuffle along there's no reason why you shouldn't head off on pisted tracks alone (you wouldn't be wise to go out of patrolled areas, obviously).

But the XC area where I have been learning, in Les Saisies, has NO flat tracks. Even the free "beginners circuit" has one downhill bend that is likely to have lots of people on their backsides.

A lot also depends on snow conditions, as ever. When the snow is soft and fresh the snowplough is not too difficult, to slow you down, and you can do a "half snow plough", with one ski still in the track. But when the snow is a bit icy it all becomes hugely more difficult (at any rate, I find it difficult).

If you want to learn the proper techniques to do a "push glide" step, learn the right way to do double poling, turning steps, etc etc then it's worth taking some lessons. Last week, for example, we spent some time doing baby "slaloms" down a gentle slope - more difficult than it looks.

But I couldn't be bothered, just to go round some flat track in the valley - I think I'd prefer to strap on a pair of snowshoes and get up the hill.

I'm getting better at classic but am still constantly passed by people even more elderly than I, overtaking me effortlessly because of their superior technique and fitness. And as for the skaters - they are even more impressive!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks pam w, I haven't seen the area near me yet but hopefully it'll be flat and easy enough for me to shuffle along after a lesson to get started. I'd prefer to get a few lessons obviously, but that depends on how much they cost along with the ski & boot hire & ski pass.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moseyp, where are you going? The gear hire and ski pass should be a lot cheaper than for Alpine skiing. Lessons same price, IME. If it's just a little circuit a pass might not be needed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Cogne, in the Aosta valley. Think my lift pass might cover it actually, so just the cost of hire and lessons. That would be great if the hire was cheaper
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moseyp, it looks lovely. The gear is much cheaper to buy so it should be much cheaper to hire, too. Emphasize that you are a beginner and looking for skis for stability, rather than speed. Have a great time - don't forget to tell us how it goes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy