Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone converted to a boarder from skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
I started boarding and wandered into skiing for a while, but didn't stay. Skis are fun and offer more if you're someone interested in the minutiae of technique, I think. but boarding wins out for me even if I still cruise the odd cross country trail on the planks. There's something about the snowboard that makes you want to roam over ever bit of the hill, hit every bank, wind-lip, berm and drop...

And the bottom line is this: the snowboard kills it in powder. We're all hunting powder right?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends where you are i think; USA, Canada and Japan the conditions suit Snowboards, on a European mountain after 3 weeks of sunshine and freeze-thaw, skis all day long.

That said, i still dont bother skiing having switched prior to a USA trip some years ago.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 20-11-15 19:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@harri20000,
"In any situation be it skier or boarder the person in front has right of way therefore the person behind must be prepared for what ever you do. Snowboarders in particulate have a blind spot mainly when heel edge turning as they are side on to the slope, therefore if another skier or boarder are going to pass then they need to be prepared encase the boarder in front does not see you when initiating their turn. "

Take that thought to hospital with you....I m glad your sense of legitimacy trumps that of your self preservation.

I took up boarding in the early nineties and the amount of hot air spouted at me about wrongs and rights really mystified me.

Just different lines.

I went back to skis since I found myself restricted as I really didn't like going on piste on a board for that reason and it doesn't work being a grey on a tray!

You are right about boarding on powder, there is nothing like unzipping the side of the mountain with a couple of giant soul turns.
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a convert now looking for my own board for all mountain , I'm a beginner but after my holiday in Feb I go every week to my indoor slope.

What length board do I need for all mountain that will last a bit , I'm 9.5 boot, 80kg, 5"10
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depending on the board 154-160ish. If you know what boards you're looking at we can be more specific. Personally lusting after a Capita DOA which would be perfect.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sarny, once you know what board you want go to the manufacturers website and most of them will have a suggested rider weight for each length of the board. You'll probably fit into the ranges for more than one, bit of personal choice then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pretty much any park board or all mtn board will suffice. if your a beginner don't be suckered into buying anything too stiff thinking you'll grow into it. You will do eventually but it will hamper your riding in the interim.

you can go stiffer if you go shorter (154) but if you go longer than that you'll want something with a bit of flex.

i'd say the capita doa is too stiff for someone learning, you'd be better of with a scott stevens or ultrafear, even the horoscope if you plan on spending a lot of time riding park/jibbing in or out the domes...

you need to be conscious of width as well, if you've got a standard boot (ie not with shrinkage) a 9.5 boot will overhang on some standard width boards. I've got 9.5 feet and use burton boots with shrinkage and always make sure my boards are 255mm +
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With a 9.5 boot you don't need a 255+ waist width, I wear 11's with shrinkage tech and have no issues on 253 ww. And you do want some boot overhang it'll enable you to go edge to edge faster as you get more leverage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Burton moto 9.5 for me
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was a really bad skier up to last season. Finally switched to boarding and have not looked back. I just wish someone had told me to get full body armour BEFORE I caught that back edge on an icy Perrier run. Full board-over-head bounce. But now that I've got the padding I feel like captain america again. Skis are for sale.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was reasonable skier before taking up snowboarding in the late 90's when I was 25 or so.

The first day was BRUTAL and I actually tried snapping the damn thing over my knee in a rage at one point. But then something clicks and you get better rapidly. If I tried now it would be longer before it clicks I would think. As other said skiing is a more gradual progression but then you tend to platau somewhat. Snowboarding is totally the other way around - hours of pain then it just clicks.

Still ski occasionally (esp if conditions bullet proof icy) but I have more fun mucking around on the board and *nothing* beats the board in the pow - not even modern fat ski's. Oh and the boots! Oh the joy of the boots!

As Eddie Izzard says - "there are only two looks in Snowboarding - cool or DEAD!"
http://youtube.com/v/MJyS6ov3j0g
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.facebook.com/Extreme/videos/1028405347216676/

Only if we can get bindings.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm on my second year of snowboarding. Knee injury has made me temporarily park my trusty Lines.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My board was fun and didn't feel like it hindered me but first session back on plastic and I felt terrible.
latest report
I switched from a skier to a boarder at the start of the 2017/18 season. I just got bored of skies. I can ski any slope on or off piste. I was looking for a fresh challange. I used to go away for new years and i would leave my skies in for service on new years eve. I would rent boots and a board for new years day. Probably not the best idea especially with a hangover. I picked up a cheap board and boots on boards.ie and started boarding. The start of this year I managed to complete Level 1 snowboarding instructors course and am now a snowboard instructor on sunday evening in Kilternan, Dublin Ireland.

There are differences between both disciplines, One being when on a flat slope you end up walking it and you can use your polls to push yourself along with skies. Other issues is the button lift is not your friend. Also generally if you with mates who are skies they tend not to wait for you at the top of mountain while you tie your boots in. Hence I now have a pair of https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072288QYT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21. On the big plus sign i find that i can go though power snow easier, like knife through butter. I was away in december and all the skies had issues with power snow and i sailed through it. Also found that they would be doing lots of turns going down a black run. i would probably side slip a bit, do 3-4 turns and pass them out. Plus dancing on the bars is easier with snowboarding boots. They are just big fat runners! Very Happy

I admit that im not a great boarder yet, i need loads more practice. I recon i about imtermediate level. I'm getting more fun or a board and overall I would defo recomend everyone to try it.I'm going to sneak in a foldable ski pole into my backpack to get over those annoying flat blue runs!
snow conditions
I skied for 4 years of holidays and then one Winter season of living in the alps, then got bored with it to the point where I was pretty much just using it as a means of transportation, not for pleasure. I tried boarding once and I have literally (in the literal meaning of the word) never put my foot in a ski binding since, because I actually enjoy the feeling of turning a snowboard, it just comes more naturally to me.

Just my two pence, but because of the comparable learning curves (snowboarding being easier to get the hang of after your first few days on your back bottom & face) I'd actually say that your average boarder is probably more in control and capable of turning/stopping precisely if need be, than a one-week-a-year skier who charges around the mountain still in the snow plough position!
snow report
Snowboarders are always blaming resorts about their long flats and long traverses.
Whilst snowboarding itself is the problem.
Quite pathetic.
Snowboarding is cool for the parking lot, and in front of the camera. Less so for the mountain.
The Lord gave us two legs, and two arms, and he definitely did so for us to use them in the mountains too. Especially in the mountains I'd say.

Another question you should ask yourself: do you still see yourself snowboarding when -say- age 70?
You easily can go skiing when 70....But it helps when you're experienced and trained a bit. You'll lose that when you go snowboarding....
ski holidays
DisconnectedAG wrote:
I'm on my second year of snowboarding. Knee injury has made me temporarily park my trusty Lines.

Off to the fridge soon for the first ski after trashing my knee but strongly suspect it may just confirm it is time to practice snowboarding!
snow conditions
[codefortunately I can do both so if I ever feel like I can't snowboard anymore then I'll switch back to skiing.

Flats are fumble but you live with them, don't know what's pathetic about that.

Btw only punters try and slag off the over side. Just stick to 2 planks and suit yourself[/code]
Langerzug wrote:
Snowboarders are always blaming resorts about their long flats and long traverses.
Quite pathetic.
Snowboarding is cool for the parking lot, and in front of the camera. Less so for the mountain.
The Lord gave us two legs, and two arms, and he definitely did so for us to use them in the mountains too. Especially in the mountains I'd say.

Another question you should ask yourself: do you still see yourself snowboarding when -say- age 70?
You easily can go skiing when 70....But it helps when you're experienced and trained a bit. You'll lose that when you go snowboarding....
snow report
I believe counselling is available if you're feeling these urges. If it's getting so bad that you use the word 'stoked' when not talking about a fire, then see you GP immediately or take yourself to A&E
snow conditions
Literally speaking, yes. I went on a school ski trip aged 12 and then began snowboarding aged 52!
snow conditions
I'm the opposite. Started snowboarding, then switched to skiing because I want to start touring but splitboard is more expensive (because they're rarely on discount).

Both are enjoyable in their own ways, but then again I'm not yet an expert snowboarder or skier (but currently I'm a better skier than snowboarder) - last time snowboarding, I was still suck on bumpy terrain.

I'll concentrate on doing lessons for touring until next season, then will probably start to pick up snowboard again. Apparently being better on skis (able to go to more varied terrain) somehow motivates me to reach at least the same level on snowboard!

But in summary, I'll just go wherever my fancy takes me snowHead
snow conditions
Me and a friend both converted quite a few years ago.

If you ski you have an idea about snow which makes learning easier than if you are a non skier/boarder, but it definitely takes longer to become proficient at boarding than skiing and yes it takes commitment and you will fall...a lot. If it didn't take commitment everyone would be doing it wink

Both my buddy and I have been back to skiing but to be honest it doesn't even come close.
snow conditions
Langerzug wrote:
Quite pathetic.

Snowboarding is 'quite pathetic' yet you refer to your Sky Pixie to explain how you are built? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have 3 snow boards and 2 pairs of skis, the boards and skis get approx 50-50 usage. I'm 56 and will definitely be using all of them when I'm 70.

As above, it is only ever one-week holiday makers who have such blinkered views of both disciplines. Those of us that spend a lot of time in the mountains have learned to optimise our sliding equipment, to match the conditions on the day.
snow report
After 23 weeks on skis have now completed my 2nd week on a board. I went to the dark side because my knees couldn't take the abuse skiing gives them. I could properly carve on easy slopes pretty much at will on skis and was ok off piste if it wasn't too steep (never happy on a Canadian double Black Diamond )and/or too deep.
Most of the time I was sliding with a boarder who was much more advanced than I was, (and still is).
Did a day's boarding course at Hemel which was worth every penny.
After 3 days on the mountain something clicked and haven't looked back.
Yes, learning a board is going to hurt, very steep initial learning curve. It also takes more commitment to learn I think, hence bump shorts, wrist guards, body armour and helmet!

I am now partly carving, not quite through the whole turn yet and certainly not at will, but it will come.

I think the better skier you were the easier it will be for you to transfer. None of my mates were as proficient at skiing as I was and they all struggle with the board.

If a magic wand was waved I'd probably go back to skis, but ask me that after a few more weeks on the board and the answer may be different.

Still haven't the heart to sell my Sick Days, or the trusty BBRs, just in case someone discovers how to grow cartilage!
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Quite pathetic.

The question was asked if anyone had converted from ski to board, it wasn't about your ignorant and intolerant views of snowboarders, or is your level of hatred so high you just couldn't keep it to yourself.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
Quite pathetic.

The question was asked if anyone had converted from ski to board, it wasn't about your ignorant and intolerant views of snowboarders, or is your level of hatred so high you just couldn't keep it to yourself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess people stop progressing in skis because they can get down anything and don’t see a point in improving on it since the outcome would be the same. Reaching the bottom safe and sound. At a point gets so technical that is not easy to keep pushing for improvement I guess.

Since I can remember my thing has always been speed so skis suits me better.

I find it very unreasonable this arguing between both modals... why can’t we all just have fun even if butt-skidding.
ski holidays
Gustavobs wrote:
I guess people stop progressing in skis because they can get down anything and don’t see a point in improving on it since the outcome would be the same. Reaching the bottom safe and sound. At a point gets so technical that is not easy to keep pushing for improvement I guess.

Since I can remember my thing has always been speed so skis suits me better.

I find it very unreasonable this arguing between both modals... why can’t we all just have fun even if butt-skidding.

On skis, I can't get close to the max speed I have recorded on a board. I have now stopped trying to!
snow report
Quote:

why can’t we all just have fun even if butt-skidding

If you want to stay sane,
Then here's my advice,
Just pull down your pants,
And slide on the ice.

As true today as it ever was.
ski holidays
Dr Freedman will see you now.
snow report
@cad99uk, just don't go all weird and maudlin now...
snow report
Interesting couple of references above to knees.
Mr G tried skiing, said it hurt his knees (OK, a beginner, so will be using body and knees to throw the skis around, I guess, plus lots of snowploughing strains); he had existing knee pains from bike injuries. Boards happily now.
I skied then boarded - but when traumatised my knees badly, lost ACLs and started getting more everyday pains and irritability, I find boarding causes a lot more irritation and pain and strain, even if I deliberately don't let them over twist. Discussed with a physio who skis and seems to know boarding: she was strongly against boarding as it puts much more twists and strains on the knees, she said.
I'm also struggling with, and fearful of, punting along, flat bits, anything with one leg out of bindings, getting off chsirlifts, generally dragging weight of board around on 1 leg. But a board is a darn sight easier to carry than skis when my neck and shoulders hurt! And those boots... Cool
Maybe depends on your particular knee injuries, states of wear, physiology, stance, etc (and I'm talking piste and minor OP here, not park).
ski holidays
Learnt how to ski first, then started boarding and loved it more. So been boarding for a few years exclusively.
now we have a 3 yr old who did his first ski school week recently I am going to go back and improve my skiing too.
it will never replace boarding but having the option to do both depending on what we are doing and conditions will be ideal.
that being said boarding still rules.
ski holidays
I have skied since my childhood, now I'm 53 and I'm losing my ski mojo. I have previously tried boarding about 15 years ago in Val Thorens but fell and broke a rib so reverted to skis.

All my snowmates are boarders and I have just taken my 20 year old skateboard mad son to Les Arcs for his first snowboarding session. Having watched him beat himself up for four days trying to learn, I paid for five hours private tuition with High Five Snowboarding of Bourg St Maurice. He was taught by the former Olympian and multiple snowboard world cup holder Sebastien Vassoney who owns the school, and he just immmediately clicked with it.

Next year I intend to buy us both new boards and resurrect my snowboarding with proper instruction on day one.

If I break another rib next time, I will stick at it until I can do it properly instead of quitting again (which I have always regretted)..
latest report
I am a proficient skier, have tried boarding once or twice and it hurt a lot and was frustrating to be back at beginner level. Having said that, I learned to ski age 6 and resonate with a previous poster who said it started to feel like a method of transportation. I may well have another crack.
snow report
Got back on a board last season after a 20 year hiatus. It was awesome fun in the powder. Not so much on the home piste catching the front edge and smashing my shoulder Embarassed
snow report
Skied for a good ten years 20-30 before switching to snowboarding, for around 20 years I think.

This vid is from La Grave back in 2001 way before YouTube etc we were also riding big Swallow Tail Powder boards.

We then started doing a lot of touring and it was then that I switched back to skis after dallying with approach skis, and mates with splitboards.

Out of the eight or so of us that were snowboarding all bar one is now back to skiing, and that's because that mate never skied.

Babylon - La Grave 2001 - Simon Bedford from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/37009823
snow report
Started on skis at age 29. Did some boarding but hard boots on a Winterstick. I was lucky and had a very good instructor and was getting down fairly steep stuff on day 2. Being a surfer helps.

For the next few years it was 80% skis with the board reserved for the deep stuff.

Eventually transitioned to soft boots and a modern switch board. [ You try renting hard boots and a Winterstick ]

Gradually boarded less and less as I got to be an old fart. Crap knees are the restriction.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy