Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl vs salomon

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!
First time poster and like many others, looking for a bit of feedback on ski purchasing. I'm based in Toronto, not many aggressive hills, but travel to Europe to ski (typically rent).

I have been trying to determine if I should pick up a pair of volkl (rtm75) or salomon (rxt800) ski's. I've always been partial to volkl (like the fact they're made in Germany); however, the ski shop introduced me to salomon and suggested they're really good also.

Any thoughts, advice, feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jeff eh, I'm currently on Völkl RTM 81's. Can only recommend. The last time I skied Salomon was on a pair of X-Screams I hired in Whistler. Took them back to the shop after one day and took a pair of Rossi 9X instead. The X-Screams were, simply put... crap! This was a long time ago though so they might have learned something in the meantime!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jeff eh, i've not skied either of those skis but I've never skied a bad Volkl and I've rarely skied a nice Salomon...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Salomon now read Atomic
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jeff eh, Word on the street is that they are both equally good. I've ridden XT800s and loved them. I'm in NA too and can't find them for less than $700US
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cynic wrote:
Salomon now read Atomic
Ah, wasn't aware of that. I once went unfaithful and bought a pair of Atomic 'all mountain' skis. They were great for two seasons and then felt like damp sponges on my feet. After that I bought the Mantras, which were brilliant.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, so, actually, word on this street is that the Volkls are likely to be better...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saloman Tornado Ti's fantastic !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, I've no idea, not slid on the Volkl RTM range so I can't be definitive. The XT's are a lovely ski and took to both spring crust and wet sugar very well . . . though the Movement Jams were my fave in the test and I bought them . . . and UPS trashed them Evil or Very Mad
The reality these days is that there are few 'bad' skis and it's down to the individual to test before buying to find out which suits their technique and style . . . which given the huge numbers of skis available is a complete 'mare'. I doubt he would go wrong with either ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, yep, you're right. Difficult to find a bad ski. And, to be frank, why would my experience be worth anything to someone completely different? (i don't think it would...)

Reinforcing, try before you buy snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic, Only for the factory race stuff, still two separate lines of development for most of their other stuff under the. Amer brand
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you everyone! I think i'm going to try the Volkl out Smile i really appreciate the help!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to the pleasure dome Jeff!

What you should do is rent both of them ...
But find a shop that is willing to discount the hire price of a new pair of skis of your choice at the end of the week.

You should try before you buy and any good ski shop will let you do that.

I used to ride Volkl back in the day of PS10's and I still have a pair of Volkl Snow Rangers in the garage. I tried them the other week in the Indoor piste ... but I couldn't drive them any more. (old school)

My current skis are Salomon Xt800 and they do the job ....but Swiss Tim lent me some of his Kneissls .... and now I'm spoilt.

Don't buy yet ... try a few different sets till you know what you want.
(I'm taking the XT800's to Kicking Horse next week, I'll leave them against the wall for you if you can nip around and pick them up)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jeff eh, As DrLawn, says demo both. I
I've always gone to a shop that stocks both skis to try. I've found that decent shops will knock off the price of demos if you buy a new pair from them, usually up to 3 pairs worth.

So you go and collect BOTH pairs of skis and arm yourself with a ski lock wink Choose your first pair and lock the 2nd one to a ski rack, go and ski for a good 2 or 3 hours on runs you really like on the first, return to the ski rack and swop skis. Then go out and ski the same runs again on the 2nd pair.
You can then compare like for like on similar conditions on the day. If you need to repeat in differing conditions do so. No point in buying them on your last day if you arent going skiing again until next season.

I bought my first Volkls doing this, really hankering after a pair of Rossi B2 noodles wink Smile , after sking the Volkls all morning, I lasted about just over an hour or so before going back for a swop again. Both were brand new skis set up for the demo, made em on offer on the Volkls as I really loved the edge grip and they were perfectly suited to me. Not looked back and on my 2nd pair.

Demoing skis is about having fun, so go have some Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The "RXT" and "XT" aren't quite the same ski.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/salomon-enduro-rxt-800z12-2013
snow report
The "RXT" and "XT" aren't quite the same ski.

Oops sorry ...
Anway I luv my XT800's even more now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy