Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski amade

Poster: A snowHead
@robapplegate, thats what I meant , you MUST have salad with Kasespätzle!
BTW, as I am all alone this Helige Abend if you or any of your party are skitourers, I am going to tour up to Trinkeralm at about 14.00 if anyone wants to join me in a Christmas skitour.
@Samerberg Sue, Trinkeralm is the highest hut up there, I can´t think of any other ones Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-12-14 22:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is there much open in Schladming at the moment? My brother arrives tomorrow. Confused
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Kooky, wish I was there on Christmas eve. They were filming a silent night special in flachau for the telly a few days ago. That would have been lovely too. Can't wait till the mortgage is paid and I don't have to rent out
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kooky, I'm at the Rosner and will be singing some English carols, I could do with some moral support! wink

The Zefferer Alm is always given as the highest on the maps, but to me it is always the Trinker Alm Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Me too... the Trinkeralm is like the summit of Everest but a lot warmer and more comfortable Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Samerberg Sue, I meant having kasespatzle for christmas dinner Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kooky, None of us ski tourers I'm afraid, I'm on the dark side as are about half my group. Never been to Schladming before so really looking forward to seeing what we find. No idea how we'll be working things as there are 12 of us ranging in age from 17 to 50.
@Samerberg Sue, Is the Rosner another hut and when will you be singing? i'd be intrigued to actually meet you having conversed here a bit over the last couple of years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robapplegate, it's a hotel in the centre of altenmarkt
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, Thanks, as I said I'm new to the area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@robapplegate, You will soon get to know it, each village has it's little hot spots for food and drink. The Rosner has some fantastic game on the menu during winter, I've had many a contented belly there Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarpa, Really looking forward to it, can't wait till friday. I feel like a little kid, but then my family reckon i usually act like one anyway Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How soon before the 'Night Race' do they close the home piste in Scladming please? We arrive jan 17 for one week, will the home piste be closed then? Is there more than one piste back to base or will we have to download. I've looked at the piste map and downloaded the app, but it's always difficult when I have no visuals in my head.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NE1, I think a couple of days before. There's a red that misses most of the night race piste which from memory stays open a bit longer but will close as it ends same place as night race piste. Obviously can download from mid station of Planai Gondola or use the Golden Jet gondola - base is just outside main town - I think they have renamed it "Planai West" and quite a few other lifts now have more relevant geo-related names. Golden Jet / Planai West is always a quieter way up the mountain in the mornings. Can't ski all the way back, must download from mid - large ravine kind of makes skiing down difficult, but it's only a 2 or 3 min download.

be warned that skiing the night race piste the day or two after is a tad tricky unless you like real icy piste
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@waynos, thanks. We should be OK then as it's the week after we are there.

About skiing close after a race, I learnt that lesson in Val D'Isere. One torn calf muscle and 5 weeks off work later. I wasn't popular!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This area is on my radar for a possible trip Feb/March. Where do I find information about the train transfer from Salzburg airport? Do tickets need to be booked in advance, or can we pay the same on the day in the station? Is the train doable for getting between ski towns, or are we better off using the buses?

I had a quick look at car hire, but it seems to be about £300 for something not much bigger than a roller skate once you include snow chains and a ski rack, which seems a bit steep to me - there are only 2 of us to split the cost.

If I was to stay somewhere like Radstadt, realistically which areas are reachable in a day by public transport or ski lift?

Oh, and how is the snow looking currently? Toofy Grin
snow report
@Scarlet, Salzburg airport to hauptbahnhof: Line 2 bus, 2.5 Euro single

Hauptbahnhoff to e.g Schladming: 18 Euro single. Turn up and pay.
snow conditions
@cad99uk, Thanks - I didn't realise the station wasn't at the airport. How long does the bus take? Is there a website with timetables etc on?
latest report
20 minutes on bus. Buses every 10 minutes or so. Train times on OBB website.

http://www.oebb.at/en/
snow report
Also, we are keen to avoid the crowds. I am aware of UK half term on 14th Feb, but what about more local holidays in Feb/March? Are their any other busy weeks? Fasching/Carnival?
latest report
We've had about half a metre of fresh in the last week so even the off piste is looking much better.
ski holidays
Yes, Fasching is busy. Week of the 16 Feb this year. OK if you get first lifts on the Planai 08:10.

Other weeks have Dutch race clubs who get the odd piste allocated to them. Also bankers / airline conferences etc come into town.

But Fasching is the only one you might want to avoid but it is only busy rather than 'never again'.
snow report
@cad99uk, Sounds like it coincides with half term this year, so we will be staying home that week anyway. I'm sure the area is big enough to absorb a few conference parties, it was more whole countries turning up that concern me wink
latest report
@Scarlet, I think the Postbus is the best way to get between resorts, you can certainly get from Radstadt to either Schladming, Flachau or Zauchensee so that opens up loads of ski areas as well as Radstadt mountain itself. A few taxi companies offer reasonable transfers between Salzburg airport and Radstadt (and other Ski Amadé destinations) for €50 return:

http://www.huberreisen.at/e-online-flughafentransfer.html
http://www.taxi-jaeger.at/e_w_index.html
http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-buchen-en.php?a=1
snow report
@queen bodecia, Thanks, €50pp return makes the taxi a similar price as the train, but is probably a bit easier.
snow report
@Scarlet, if you want the flexibility of being able to drive between resorts but want to save a bit you could get away without a ski rack. We hired a C-Max and could get the skis in the boot with the split rear seat down (as Jnr was in the back too). Worked well for us when we stayed in the area.
latest report
@Scarlet, We use Huberreisen all the time, very reliable and tend to be small minibuses so almost a private transfer

If you are interested in Flachau (overt pimping) my place is available w/c 7th March - see signature
latest report
Booked transfer with Huberreisen for trip to Wagrain in March so good to hear they are reliable.
latest report
@somborneski, where are you staying in Wagrain?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy