Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2000 - piste knowledge please!

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked our holiday to les arcs, never been here before or skiied the area. I keep about how "horrible" the resort architecture looks or how poor the après is in 2000 but were really only fussed about the slopes to be perfectly honest. We're staying in Chalet Sylvie with crystal (les chalets des neiges complex I believe??) in feb.

Have done a bit of searching and not found out too much really about getting around but would gladly welcome any knowledge on areas to ski to. I would say I am now a pretty confident intermediate skiier, technically my ability is better than my confidence but I can get down most things well if conditions are right! Husband gets down anything no probs. we've never done "proper" off piste apart from a bit in whistler last year or the naturide type slopes although I am aware of the massive bowl above arc 2000! Looking forward to trying aiguille rouge black/red run from looking at vids of it but anything else suggested would be helpful. Planning just to hit it and see wherevwe go but am aware of the pitfalls of being at the edge of the area. How feasible is it to get over to LP and back without getting stranded? Have heard something about a last bubble to Arc2000 at 4pm before the rest of resort but our plan would be to make sure we stay higher and be able to ski back in.

Ta in advance 😊
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can easily get from Arc 2000 to the Vanoise Express to La Plagne in 30-40 minutes at a fairly regular pace. As long as you leave plagne centre by 2:30/3 to start coming home you'll have no problems - as long as you get back across the valley you can always get the free bus home if you miss last lifts.

I'd recommend the Mont Blanc piste as a great run to do a couple of laps of to warm the legs up every morning.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have visited Les Arcs many times and to be honest have never really noticed the architecture. It clearly has some significance since this New Year I did see that the resort is offering architectural tours around the resort. The trouble is with the views across the Isere valley to Mount Blanc and the Vanoise national park it is very difficult to look at the buildings. As to the Apres Ski in 2000 I have found no reason to complain on my single visit, but I suspect that if you like smoke filled bars then you will disappointed.

If you look carefully at the last lift closing times in Les Arcs you will see that the last linking lifts are actually fairly late, later than in many resorts. For example after the middle of February the last Transarc from 1800 to the Col du Chal is 16:55 and the last Arpette is 17:10. But if you miss these (staying too late at the Arpette for example) then the bus will take you around the mountain. Just don't get caught in Vallandry since it is a long walk back to 1800 to get the bus.

As bobalexander1983, says it is easy to get from Arc 2000 to the rest of the Paradiski. It really depends on the queues on the Arcabulle or Bois de l'Ours lift, but 30 to 40 minutes should be fine.

There is plenty of good skiing for all skiing abilities in 2000 from the fairly knarly Robert Blanc to the very gentle vallee d'l'arc, but IMHO Arc 2000 gets more busy than the rest of the Les Arc area. The whole area is really very easy to get around.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My trip report from last year. We loved it Smile
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98090&highlight=

la plagne and back is very possible, it's just not always worthwhile, exploring les arcs thoroughly was way more fun when we went. Ime les arcs is the better area as long as conditions are good OR when very bad, but if you get a lot of bluesky days and want to speed around on piste then it is nice to have places to go - we went over twice just to prove we could (to the far corners NehNeh)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FiFi_Trixibell, Les Arcs is a superb ski area and up with the very best, in my view. 2000 is a greeat base for skiing. The best snow is usually up in the Col where there is a nice red and black with little between them in difficulty. The runs at the top of the Aiguille are also good. Plenty of lovely tree-lined reds over towards Peissy Vallandry. Some nice little complex bits like Comborcieres.
Not too difficult to get over the Vanoise Express but it takes a while to get to the more interesting runs in La Plagne.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry for delayed response! Thanks all for input and suggestions, been watching back honeymoon vids and watching stuff on YouTube of the area and getting seriously excited! Any suggestions for

1) best place to eat out too on the chalet night off or
2) good ski shop - looking to upgrade from my first skiis to something a bit more advanced and thinking in resort may be best bet rather than at home? Figured I could potentially try demos before buying but not really sure!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Staying in Chalet Sylvie you'll be handily located close to Whistlers Dream bar; my mate Ruud works there, say hello from me!

There's a couple of nice restaurants in Lower Place, where all the ski schools go from. Probably worth having a look one day and seeing what you fancy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We popped in to Whistlers Dream several times whilst we were in Arc 2000 recently. Very nice, friendly bar staff and very generous with the Genepi! I think we may have met Ruud.

Our nicest evening meals out were at the Relais Au Gourmand, a couple of doors away from Whistlers Dream. It is tiny so you do need to book but the food was good and the service friendly and efficient.

The ski hire shop in Chalet L`Ours had a good selection of kit and the staff were very obliging, very willing to change skis/boots etc and very helpful and knowledgeable about what skis would suit each of us given our level of skiing, the snow conditions and what we wanted to do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dav wrote:
Staying in Chalet Sylvie you'll be handily located close to Whistlers Dream bar; my mate Ruud works there, say hello from me!

Will do! Have heard good things about Whistlers dream. I find when we are chalet board we don't après much unless its right after we've finished skiing and we'll stay out, then go back to accom and get sorted for dinner etc. I'd rather get up the next day now than sleep in (still get banging headaches from the free wine tho!! Ha) sad though given hubby and I are 27...!

CaravanSkier, - relais le gourmand sounds good. We're not fussy at all but like local cuisine and prefer recommendations for sure. Re the hire shop, do u know if it was just rentals or did they have stuff selling as well? Don't know how big the shopping is in 2000, figured 1950 might be more the place to go for those sort of shops.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The ski shop does sell stuff. Two of my sons were thinking of buying boots and tried various hire ones early in the stay with the idea that if any were perfect they would buy to same make and have then tweaked during the last part of the stay. (We were there for two weeks) My eldest bought a helmet as he did not have his own.

There seemed to be some ski shops in Place Olympique in 2000, and one near the Relais au Gourmand as well as the the one in L`Ours. The trip between the two resorts using the free cabriolet lift makes shopping easy in either. There is also the option of the free navette which depending where you are in 2000 in relation to the bus stop may be better. Bus stop and gondola bottom are next to each other in 1950.

1950 seemed more expensive than 2000 in general
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FiFi_Trixibell,
Quote:

2) good ski shop - looking to upgrade from my first skiis to something a bit more advanced and thinking in resort may be best bet rather than at home? Figured I could potentially try demos before buying but not really sure!

For the best choice in the resort I use Intersport in Bourg st Maurice (near the Super-U). The staff are very knowledgeable and they have a great selection. My son bought his last pair of skis there and they were about 1/2 the UK price.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
when in 1950 we always have a meal in the savoy at 2000, right on the piste near the lanchettes lift, well worth a visit. kilimanjaro is ok for a pizza or fondue tho.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Amazing thanks, I had hoped that naturally equipment would be cheaper. I will take my skis & boots out as usual but may have to pay ski carriage home if I decide to purchase! Hubby needs to upgrade helmet too so your suggestions will be very helpful, Ta!

Oh and MMMMMMM fondue! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FiFi_Trixibell, I did a long write up from my season in Les Arcs which included quite a lot of detail on the various pistes etc

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223

Note: this is all from 08/09 season so bits of it (e.g. resto/bar recommendations) will now be very outdated and they've also changed around the lifts a little (esp above 16/1800) so some of those references are now old.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, Ta, reviews are always most helpful. Will check it out.

How busy do people think we're going to be looking given the UK holidays have finished but its technically the start of the French kids holidays? Are we likely to be struggling for space all week?? (We're already anticipating typical feb as its the only time I was able to get off work but I mean worse than say the half term week)
latest report
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
bertie bassett, Ta, reviews are always most helpful. Will check it out.

How busy do people think we're going to be looking given the UK holidays have finished but its technically the start of the French kids holidays? Are we likely to be struggling for space all week?? (We're already anticipating typical feb as its the only time I was able to get off work but I mean worse than say the half term week)

what date are you going as this is not that clear..
latest report
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
bertie bassett, Ta, reviews are always most helpful.

)

Mine is here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106525
snow conditions
Sorry, reading that back prob didnt make a whole lotta sense. Leaving on sat 22nd feb and return home on 1st March
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
FiFi_Trixibell, I did a long write up from my season in Les Arcs which included quite a lot of detail on the various pistes etc

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53223

Thanks bertie Bassett even though you said lots of this is from 08/09 - theres some really useful info. Its good to know a bit about some of the other areas a bit further along from 2000.

CaravanSkier - also great, thanks. Your review and the rest of the thread discussion is brill, cheers Smile

Literally cannot wait now, 4 days to go. Can't stop looking at the snow forecast! Must stop it....
ski holidays
FiFi_Trixibell, it will be busy but not packed, especially at lunchtime..If eating on the mountain stop early or late. There is so much piste and a lot of lift capacity that if there us a long queue at one lift you can often find another way to where you feel like going. Don't miss the pistes down towards Peisey and Vallandry my favourite is Belette down to Derby lift and then further down Myrtilles, also if you like unpisted then do not miss Malgovert reached off the top of the Comborciere chair. The long run right from the top of AiguilleRouge down to Villa Roger is wonderful and the restaurant Solliet is a convenient stop.
Have fun!
snow report
snowyowl wrote:
FiFi_Trixibell, it will be busy but not packed, especially at lunchtime..If eating on the mountain stop early or late. There is so much piste and a lot of lift capacity that if there us a long queue at one lift you can often find another way to where you feel like going. Don't miss the pistes down towards Peisey and Vallandry my favourite is Belette down to Derby lift and then further down Myrtilles, also if you like unpisted then do not miss Malgovert reached off the top of the Comborciere chair. The long run right from the top of AiguilleRouge down to Villa Roger is wonderful and the restaurant Solliet is a convenient stop.
Have fun!

Think unpisted pistes are now my fave! Still a proper off piste virgin though apart from the Whistler bowls which didn't really feel like they counted!

Love the fact that confidence is now at a point where I'm no longer concerned with what colour the run is and we can (*mostly*) just kind of go where we please.

Cannot wait to try "AggyRouge" as I keep hearing it mentioned, though I get the impression in terms of sun position it's a better one to do first thing? Hoping if we are early birds and not had too much red wine the night before we will be up at the top for an early doors run down!
ski holidays
FiFi_Trixibell, Take a view on the weather. They don't always open it first thing. The TV channel and radio gives announcements, and the electronic boards all around tell you what's open. There's an app I think.
Choose a lovely day for it - mornin g is nice because you'll be in the sun, but its good any time if the viz is OK.
The queue for the AR cable car goes quite quickly - if the end of the queue is in the building you will only have to wait 2 cabins.
When you get to the top of the AR do take the time to clamber up to the viewpoint before you leave. The view is astounding. snowHead
ski holidays
Loved Les ARCs in Jan this year. Ag Rouge is as good as they say, probably not really black except for the first pitch but superb fun. Try the non stop challenge and see if your legs explode. To get to 2000 from 1800 we used Transarc not Arpette, it covers a lot of height gives you a great last run. there is also a good lunch stop just below the mid station, not too crowded when we were there (quiet week though)
Try the old chair (Grand Col) to the right of Ag Rouge as you look up, it is pretty quiet as it is away from the main traffic and looks old and slow (it is!) but there are lovely runs on both sides, on and off the piste.
snow report
Col the Yeti, Grand Col lift is officially the coldest place in the whole of the Alps on a bad day....but the runs are worth it. wink
snow report
snowyowl, does it actually have cooled rather than heated seats or is that just my imagination! It is nearly as bracing as cliffhanger at Glencoe. (also worth the freeze!)
ski holidays
Col the Yeti, I think there's a secret chill wind machine
latest report
At the top of the Grand Col lift, I've noticed this is on the map as a red and a black run however when I google it, seem to get frequent references to off piste/dropping in over the back, various off piste vids etc - none of which seem to be on piste.....(obviously...!)

Is this based on the fact that it's known unless you want to ski off piste from here, don't bother going up that lift? or do people just not go down those runs? wink Being that I'm a backcountry virgin I'd rather not brace a buttfreezer lift to be faced with the scariest run down that goes somewhere in the middle of the mountain where I'll get swept away by an avalanche??!
snow report
the red is switchback and in good snow some people tend to offpiste down the effective fall line instead doing the switch - which is fab easy offpiste and no more than 30-40m from a piste if you get overfaced. The run is fine though and gets plenty of use, not even a very dark red Smile fear not!

i'm sure there are other routes from there too, it's a nice bit of mountain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMHO the black (refuge) is one of the easiest blacks in the resort and certainly a very popular run. FiFi_Trixibell, I suspect the reason you are getting lots of off piste hits on google is that more that people tend to post more about off piste stuff than on piste. After all all you really need to know about the pistes is on the piste map.
snow conditions
And of course to do the major off piste route from the Grand Col you need a "chicken pass". The route is even marked on the older piste maps.
ski holidays
The black piste off Grand Col is usually OK, steep moguls at the top last time I was there. The red is great, lovely views, but if it's cold it is perishing, take a scarf...
a.j.,
Quote:

if you get overfaced

Is that a technical term for a faceplant? Very Happy
ski holidays
Smile
snow report
snowyowl wrote:
The black piste off Grand Col is usually OK, steep moguls at the top last time I was there. The red is great, lovely views, but if it's cold it is perishing, take a scarf...
a.j.,
Quote:

if you get overfaced

Is that a technical term for a faceplant? Very Happy

Haha! Laughing

Thanks for clearing up, nice to know its do-able as hear good things about this bit. Feel I can pretty much ski across a map now with little hesitation (we're hoping for aiguille rouge on day 1 Toofy Grin if forecast for blue sky continues as it is!)

Is this the literal chicken pass I've heard about before; something to do with actual chicken in the summer time??!
ski holidays
Once again I may be wrong but the bird in question is a ptarmigan that semi hibernates under the snow during winter. Being disturbed makes it wake up and flap its wings which uses up valuable energy and they starve to death before the spring. It's called a chicken pass because nobody can spell ptarmigan
ski holidays
FiFi_Trixibell, you may notice the altitude if you have just come up from ground the day before, see how you go. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
snowyowl, ahh... Yes... Hadn't thought about that! TBH I feel it may be a bit gung-ho anyway for a first morning! Somehow feeling pretty confident which is v unlike me, must be the anticipation. Still buzzing from my last runs of last year's holiday if that is even possible!
ski holidays
A day's anticipation and orientation won't do any harm....
snow conditions
From memory everything on the side facing ARC2000 from Ag Rouge and Grand Col whether on piste or at the side/ in between is OK to do. There are fences and BIG signs where the ski area ends and the park begins. The pass is for the national park on the other side of the ridge. There are maps (and pictures of targm...Ptagr.... chickens!) all around the Ag rouge cable so don't worry about going out of limits unintentionally.

If it is sunny you can do Grand Col and not lose any toes to frostbite Toofy Grin
snow conditions
When you are going up the Grand Col cable car you see a large couloir on your right. This is such a popular off piste route (head off left from the track at the top of the red and follow the ski tracks) that I wonder why they don't just put piste markers along it and add it to the inventory of pistes. I guess it would be a slightly harder black that refuge.

The wind can fair howl over the col. I remember once going up the old drag lift that used to go almost to the col in high wind and appalling visibility. Not only was it difficult to hang onto the drag going up but going down I kept getting blown over. Probably the most difficult conditions I have ever skied in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy