Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbuhel - SkiWelt link (Soll)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Staying in Soll for a week in the second week of February, and wondering how feasible (i.e. time consuming) it is to get to the Kitzbuhel ski area during the day, in case we fancy a change of scenery?

Also, we've booked SkiWelt ski passes with Crystal already - does anyone know whether it'd be easy for us to add a day or two's extension on to cover Kitz?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't add extensions to cover other areas.

You either have to buy the whole Kitzalps pass (Haven't checked this year's prices, but usually about €30 more for 6 days than the skiwelt pass), or yuo have to buy a Kitzbuhel pass on the day(s) you want to ski there.

Skiing from Soll to the Kitzbuhel area and back is feasible, but a long day, and you are unlikely to get very far into the Kitzbuhel area unless you are quite a fast skier.

If you just want to spend the day skiing in the Kitzbuhel area, your best bet is probably bus to Worgl, then train or ski-bus to Kitzbuhel. Or you could ski over to Hopfgarten or Brixen, and pick up the skibus from there to Kitzbuhel or Kirchberg.

http://www.skiwelt.at/media/4051_vollbetrieb_woergl_kitz.pdf
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
U can spend 30euros more on ur weekly ski pass and u get a lot of other areas including kitzbuhel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
denfinella, easy done. Ski over to Westendorf and down to Ki-West. Hop on the bus to Pengelstein and buy a day pass for Kitzbühel €47. Worth the effort and a change of scenery. Should be able to get to Paß Thurn and back in a day, some lifts you need in Westendorf to get back close at 4 though so don't dawdle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As HutToHut says, ski over to Westendorf and down the Ki-West run (in good conditions it's a great fun cruisy blue). It's easily done in a couple of hours. I'd generally recommend not trying to ski back though as it doesn't really leave you much time in Kitzbuehel -- much better to get the train or a cab back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IIRC...... free? buses run from Kitzbuhel after skiing. Seem to remember having a few beers near the bottom station of the Hahnenkamm (sp) gondola then walking down beyond the railway tracks to catch the bus. We were staying in Westendorf.

Didn't seem to take long to ski across to KI west and jump the bus along valley to Pengelstein.

Go for it...........you know you want to!!! wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
denfinella, see if Crysal will let you change to the All Star card which will save you about €30 instead of buying a day pass for Kitz
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
denfillella,
The ski busses link Kitz with Brixen/Westendorf/Worgl but not with Soll so you have to ski to Brixen and then either take the bus to Kitzbuhel or ski over via Westendorf. The bus is closer to Hannenkahm, the Westendorf route brings you in to a different part of the Kitz area, a good tour might be out via Westendorf, ski over to Kitzbuhel village, bus back to Brixen, ski back to Soll.

It is also worth checking but I think the trains down the Brixental are free to skiers with equipment and either an Allstar or Kitzbuhel pass so there are train options as well.

they used to do a day upgrade but I can't see it anywhere, worth asking a local though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all - very helpful. moseyp, will ask Crystal if I can upgrade - not confident though, as we bought the passes on a BOGOHP offer.

Seems to be a variety of opinion over how long it takes to get into the Kitzbuhel area and also on which modes of transport to use. Is "ski there and have enough time to look around as long as you take a bus back" a fair summary?

And for the transport - sounds like there are buses directly back from Kitzbuhel (itself) to Brixen, but not Soll. So have to leave enough time for the last bit!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella,
Quote:

ski there and have enough time to look around as long as you take a bus back
Pretty fair conclusion yes, and the most relaxed way to do it. If you plan it a little or know your way around you could ski back IMHO
Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
Thanks all - very helpful. moseyp, will ask Crystal if I can upgrade - not confident though, as we bought the passes on a BOGOHP offer.

Seems to be a variety of opinion over how long it takes to get into the Kitzbuhel area and also on which modes of transport to use. Is "ski there and have enough time to look around as long as you take a bus back" a fair summary?

Yes, I think that is probably true.

If worried about catching the last lift, maybe train back to Worgl, then bus from there to Soll.

Quote:

And for the transport - sounds like there are buses directly back from Kitzbuhel (itself) to Brixen, but not Soll. So have to leave enough time for the last bit!

Yes. But you can do it back to Soll from Brixen in three lifts. Take the gondola up, then lift 2 from the flat area at the top of the gondola, then follow run 51a to lift 51, then it is all downhill. It may even be possible to cross from run 51a to 43a without needing that last lift, but I'm not sure about that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can get a bus from Kitzbühel to Söll with one change in St. Johann in Tirol, probably faster than via Wörgl. It takes between an hour and an hour and a half. You can find details on the ÖBB web site.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
espri, excellent site, thanks! Looks like train to St Johann and then bus to Soll might be the quickest option then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
was in ellmau last year and skied over to westendorf three times and twice we were chased back to ellmau cause we were late as most lifts shut at 4pm. we were all decent intermediates and spent a good while in westendorf cause it is beautiful and quiet. I know soll is closer but ski welt has more than enough for a weeks holiday. leave kitz for another holiday and save yourself the stress
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
denfinella, the Kitzbühel Hahnenkamm station is just beside the bottom of the Hahnenkamm gondola. You can either take the gondola down or ski the Family Streif run, red piste 21 (or, in February, try the proper Streif race track/ski route, if conditions are suitable and you fancy that Toofy Grin ). There are other ways down, e.g. the Kampen run, red piste 22, then up the Ganslern chairlift to get over to the bottom of the Hahnenkamm gondola. Full details (also of the SkiWelt) in John Barr's Kitzbühel Alps Ski Guide.

I believe that travel on the train in ski gear with a lift ticket is free to St. Johann but you'd have to pay on the bus, St. Johann-Söll.

Enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
moseyp, phoned Crystal today and they can't upgrade us. The SkiWelt passes are buy one get one half price, so it's fair enough.

This means paying 47 euros each for a 1-day Kizbuhel pass, and I'm not sure if this would cover the train back. Maybe not worth it...
snow report
Just got back to from Soll today and due to lack of snow on a few of the runs it was possible to ski over to westerndorf from Soll but to get back you had to cab/bus from westendorf to Brixen. If it was hard to to that I feel it unlikely you would be able to make it to Kitzbuhel easily. Never say never as there may be more snow coming but I have been to Austria every year for past 10 and it is the greenest I have seen the whole area in January. Skiing was still good though.
latest report
Scarlet Fez, interesting to know. Glad the skiing was good. Which runs were closed on the way back from Westendorf?

Still four weeks before I set off, so am confident there'll be a top-up before then.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy