Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend in the Alps mid-Feb for 3 people: where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snowHead, I need your advice please! I'm trying to organise a mini-family get-together, which is a rare event given that my family is scattered across the globe. Obviously I'm trying to include time on the hill.

Given the above, I need to organise a trip with the following variables:

Start date: Fri 14th Feb 2014 (not really flexible)
End date: Mon 17th, Tue 18th Feb (somewhat flexible)
People: 3 (2 starting in London, 1 starting in Berlin)
Après: don't care much; don't need raucous nightlife, just want half-decent food and somewhere to buy booze

I've only ever done weeks in the Alps (never a shorter trip) so I feel as though there's a lot I don't know. A few thoughts:

* Could we get a package for two people from the UK and add a cot bed for one person from Berlin?
    * Anywhere to which cheap flights & transfers are available are a plus - perhaps we all fly into Geneva and go from there?
    * Are we crazy for trying to find a Fri-Mon/Tue long weekend in the Alps?

I'm searching the web as much as I can (given that I also have to work today) but any and all sincere advice is much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you will find those dates especially tricky given you are cutting across two weeks at the same time as half term.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you could not have chosen a worst weekend english half term and french hols ultimate high season!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

re we crazy for trying to find a Fri-Mon/Tue long weekend in the Alps?

well, certainly optimistic, for those dates. However, if they are absolutely not changeable (almost any weekend would be preferable, in the French Alps, except perhaps the following one) you could probably find a "valley" hotel within reach of some slopes for a ski. In France, for example you could look at Sallanches - and Saturday 15th February, a change-over day, would be a good day to ski (I wouldn't bother with the Sunday which will be manic) though the roads will be very busy. There's an IBIS hotel in Sallanches though it might already be booked for Friday 14th, with people wanting to get up into the resorts v early on Saturday.

There may be better options in Austria (not flying into geneva, obviously) but can't advise on those.

Quote:

Could we get a package for two people from the UK

probably best to put a DIY package together - look at the easyJet (and other) flights into Geneva as a start.

Really very difficult, I'd say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unfortunately you have chosen probably one of the busiest/expensive weeks of the year.......school February 1/2 term Evil or Very Mad

All I can suggest is to go for last minute cancellations unless you want to pay 'top whack'

Good luck rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Shallimus, Give the folks at skiweekends.com a call, they might be able to do something
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shallimus, as others have said, the UK half term is a bad time to go to Geneva or to get a package from the UK.

So go to Austria. I'd fly to Munich, hire a car and take your pick of the resorts 1.5-2 hours drive from the airport. This list gives you an indication:
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html

There's quite a good selection. A number can also be easily reached by train but in terms of maximizing ski time I'd drive if possible. Once you've found a resort or shortlist of resorts hit the local tourist office websites till you find some suitable accommodation. If you have a car you can also be flexible about being 15 minutes drive from the slopes, which will make finding accommodation much easier. Although, most Austrian resorts have excellent ski bus networks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wretched schoolchildren with their bloody half-terms! Bah humbug! Toofy Grin

Excellent points all - thank you very much for taking the trouble to help me plan. As I no longer live in Europe or am or have a child, half-term is about as real to me as Narnia... until I try to book a holiday on the weekend spanning the two half-term weeks, I suppose.

I like Austria (even managed to enjoy St. Wolfgang back in 2008) and as a bonus two of the three members of the group (including me) speak half-decent German.

Perhaps cheap flights to München and an onward car rental are indeed called for, as Gämsbock suggests...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shallimus, try searching a website such as www.booking.com and put your dates and any specific resort in there. I just tried Les Arcs for your dates and got a number of possibles. I booked this way myself when I went for a long weekend between Christmas and New Year - like you, cutting into two of the busiest weeks.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try uber early SAT, then you aren't going over two weeks? I think Austria will have useful options - it doesn't suffer so badly from half term fever and has more independant b&b rather than tour op stuff. I fly into salzburg and trawl skiamade resorts until I find something. Geneva flights are cheap usually, but check you can find accomodation first.

That booking.com link is good! as a lot of places are summer too there are more listed than I'd expect: this in schladming for instance: http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/alpine-club.en-gb.html?sid=2d5266ee8c8241846af31b6739c8f20d;dcid=1;checkin=2014-02-14;checkout=2014-02-18;srfid=9720b5a92db405b94eadd1c04ea83e8b8da4b7b5X25

this is flaine: http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/la-barme.en-gb.html?sid=2d5266ee8c8241846af31b6739c8f20d;dcid=1;checkin=2014-02-14;checkout=2014-02-18;srfid=3e4bbcad12622d8fc569c99b49a8cf99df3dbff3X2

chamonix: http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/logis-de-france-excelsior.en-gb.html?sid=2d5266ee8c8241846af31b6739c8f20d;dcid=1;checkin=2014-02-14;checkout=2014-02-18;srfid=3e4bbcad12622d8fc569c99b49a8cf99df3dbff3X16

Les Houches: http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/la-barme.en-gb.html?sid=2d5266ee8c8241846af31b6739c8f20d;dcid=1;checkin=2014-02-14;checkout=2014-02-18;srfid=3e4bbcad12622d8fc569c99b49a8cf99df3dbff3X2

Bad gastein: http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/evianquelle-bad-gastein-bapckstein.en-gb.html?sid=2d5266ee8c8241846af31b6739c8f20d;dcid=1;checkin=2014-02-14;checkout=2014-02-18;srfid=5c029b50bf21399a77788e532cac5da49404c940X3

Not super cheap but very much available, which tbh suprises me - you are in with a chance I think Smile

a.j. xx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very much appreciate all the advice.

Unfortunately starting on Saturday wouldn't be a good option for us, because otherwise we'd be stranded somewhere (either UK, Germany or Austria) on Friday night with nowhere to go - we're arriving from Canada on Friday morning.

On balance, we have decided - with regret - that we can't justify the expense of the rooms, flights and a rental car to get us from München to wherever AND lift tickets and food & so on when it's only for such a short time. If we had a week to spare, the cost per day woudn't be so ruinous and we'd be able to rationalist it a bit better. In the end, we can't compete with the bottomless wallets of the half-termers! rolling eyes

For what it's worth, the best lodgings I managed to track down were these rooms within striking distance of Hintertux:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/ga-stehaus-wildscha1-4tz.en-gb.html?sid=d12fa2a72a6d40482d42fae81e7d65de;dcid=1;checkin=2014-02-14;checkout=2014-02-17;group_adults=1;group_children=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;group_rooms=37501601_81428382_0_41_2_0_0,37501601_81428382_1_41_1_0_0;srfid=94271102a9f57b92fa5f35110d9c95e60d898260X1
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shallimus, triple room in Gressoney for GBP 211 for Friday to Monday? Seems reasonable to me... http://booking.com/7b1099e8269ea0
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eeeenteresting. That is a good deal for sure, although the flights to Turin are pretty hideous - no direct flights. We've made alternate plans already though, so I've given up the search for this particular Alpine adventure. Next time!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy