Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One day near Calgary

Poster: A snowHead
I will be travelling to Calgary for business on a Friday in early Feb. I have a flight back out on the Sunday. So the Saturday is all mine.

It looks like Banff is close by but it looks like there are multiple ski area options. I don't know where to go. Assuming I
- drive up on the Friday evening,
- hotel over night near the skiing,
- ski all day Saturday,
- hotel again either locally or back in Calgary on the Saturday
- leave Calgary at 1300 on Sunday

Recommendations please?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For one day, goto Nakiska (like the rest of Calgary)

http://www.skinakiska.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only been up there in the summer but Mt Norquay is the nearest IIRC. Comparisons here:

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/calgary/ski-resorts.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ishay, more fun/life to be had in Banff so, if it were me, think I'd book in there for 2 nights and ski Sunshine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you have a car, the drive from Banff to Sunshine Village (45mins approx) will be well worth it over skiing at Norquay IMO. Its a far, far larger Ski Area with much more varied terrain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Banff and Sunshine vote here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd go to sunshine if I had only one day. Enjoy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I'll have a car an 45 mins is nothing (I drive more than that to work).

Is Banff a town or an area? Are all these resorts in Banff?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ishay, actually it's 10 miles to Sunshine so 20 mins at the outside.

Banff is a very nice town. Nearest resort is Norquay, then Sunshine and then, around 45 mins away is Lake Louise. If you're happy with the drive and you want to see more dramatic scenery then take the drive to Lake Louise and ski there.

Banff:

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like bode says, Banff is a town. Norquay is the most local ski hill to it, but to be honest it's a bit small and shite. Sunshine is a way better hill, and is only ten minutes further out of Banff.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, apologies, it is more like 20/25 mins drive to Sunshine with free parking when you get there, I was getting it confused with Lake Louise (where you pay for parking, or park a bit further down the road and walk in). Out of Lake Louise and Sunshine I preferred Sunshine but some would equally say the opposite.

Banff is a cracking little town with lots of choice of restaurants and a few bars etc. We stayed there at the Banff Aspen Lodge Hotel last January for a week and would definitely recommend it, they throw in a free continental style breakfast as well which is rare.

Edit: Typo
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for sunshine Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As I remember Mt Norquay it is about 2 black runs and a bit of cross country skiing. Ski at Sunshine or Lake Louise. Stay in Banff (reasonable sized town) - plenty of choice from room only to very nice 5* hotels.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was in Norquay it was a huge ice fest. Perhaps we were unlucky with the conditions, but out of the three resorts it's the weakest link IMO.

I really liked the other 2 places, for different reasons but to maximise ski time I'd pick sunshine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cool, thanks. I'll look up some places in Banff and ski Sunshine then I think. Hire skis in Banff or at Sunshine?
latest report
Banff. (for hire).
snow conditions
It's most disconcerting that I keep reading this as Calvary, for some unknown reason. Confused
ski holidays
I stayed in Canmore for a while on a climbing hol and learnt to ski in Sunshine (stayed in Banff for three days then). That place has a lot to answer for as I hardly ice climb these days and now find myself trapped in an interwebz conspiracy endlessly discussing helmets Shock
latest report
ishay,

What sort of skiing do you like?

I'm pretty sure I would do Sunshine and stay at banff, Not Norquay or LL. Nakiska could also be an option with a stay at the Delta.

Conditions aren't great as of this week; but the current snow storm may change that.

Really I would wait until a week before and check in with the snow reports etc before you make a choice.

If you like relaxing quiet then I would stay on hill at sunshine, otherwise Banff.

I am regularly in the mountains so could help with snow report nearer the time
latest report
Sorry for the post hijack but were looking to book for march 2015 and flying into Calgary, transferring to Banff ( not sure whether car or bus). We are all intermediate skiers so I'm assuming we should be ok with the resorts local to Banff?
We have discussed a stop off on the return at Niagra falls.
I've looked at TO and been in touch with ski safari who were able to cost it up based on this years flight prices and they suggested we need a flight from Calgary to Toronto. Has anyone done this? I assumed we'd just get a transfer from Banff to Niagra?
I'm going to have a look at booking direct with air canada and have had a look at ski big 3 on the recommendation of another poster but does anyone have an opinion on this? Will it be too much trouble? Is Niagra falls near to Toronto? Would you stay in Toronto? And for how long would you recommend?
We've only skied Europe so this is a bit daunting at the minute.
Thanks in anticipation.

Suzy
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle, Laughing
snow conditions
suzysue2,

Niagra is the other end of the country, and its a big country. You would need a flight to Toronto. Friends drove it in the summer and it took 3 ish days. I would think its too much trouble..........
latest report
Suzy sue, it's a two hours greyhound bus ride Toronto - Niagra falls. Loads of places to stay at Niagra. Having been I would recommend spending the time on the slopes!

PS I would recommend the deer lodge in lake Louise. Old world charm, excellent restaurant and a fabulous roof top hot tub.
ski holidays
gryphea, I like a bit of everything. With one day I'll probably be happy sticking to the marked runs. I sometimes board but will probably ski.

I can wait until the day before to be honest. I'll get myself to Banff and go from there.
ski holidays
I've booked the Fox hotel and suites for two nights either side of the Saturday I'll ski. Anybody know it?
snow conditions
I've booked the Fox hotel and suites for two nights either side of the Saturday I'll ski. Anybody know it?
snow conditions
ishay We've been to Banff twice and both times had a great ski day (great snow & very quiet slopes) at Norquay. Some great steeps and some great cruising too. A highly under-rated area in my opinion - though all the locals we've spoken to (& lots of people on here) just write it off as not worth a visit.

They'd probably mock my next suggestion too - on your departure day you will have time for an hour or two's skiing at Calgary Olympic Park - very novel - especially if you just like to ski anywhere and want to tick off another new area. Smile
snow report
ishay, worth going all the way out to Lake Louise for your day. Better skiing (if comparable snow) and the views are unbelievable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ishay, It's a nice looking hotel, on the main drag about a 5 minute walk to the centre. We nearly booked there, but stayed in the Caribou which was pretty much next door. You're pretty early on the bus schedule, so you'll stop at another couple of hotels en route, but you'll be really close to one of the stops. When we visited there was a chain restaurant (a Chiilis or something) in the Fox and one night we decided we couldn't be ar$ed to walk into town so swung in for a meal. Great Margaritas, awful service and really poor food compared with what was available in town, it might not be the case but now - we were there in 2012.
snow report
We stayed close to the fox hotel, it's one of the first for the bus stop if that's relevant to you.

We had a meal up at one of the restaurants up close to that hotel on the same side of the road (don't know if it was chilis?) can't for the life of me remember the name. It was a bar with loads of sports equipment/tv shows on and sold several different types of poutine so got a big thumbs up from me Smile

If you want a nice steak I'd recommend Saltlik steak house and Melissa's for a pancake stack for breakfast.

Happy skiing!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 10-01-14 20:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
ishay We've been to Banff twice and both times had a great ski day (great snow & very quiet slopes) at Norquay. Some great steeps and some great cruising too. A highly under-rated area in my opinion - though all the locals we've spoken to (& lots of people on here) just write it off as not worth a visit.

They'd probably mock my next suggestion too - on your departure day you will have time for an hour or two's skiing at Calgary Olympic Park - very novel - especially if you just like to ski anywhere and want to tick off another new area. Smile

Totally agree, we loved Norquay. Wonderful rolling pistes and completely empty, well worth a visit for a day.

Of the other two, I thought Lake Louise had the most spectacular scenery but the best skiing was at Sunshine.

Banff is a lovely town, I really enjoyed my stay there and the different ski areas.

On our departure day we took a trip up Sulphur Mountain for the amazing views.
snow report
As rule the snow is better in @ Sunshine than LL or Norquay. Sunshine its a good size for a full day skiing, with a really good mix of runs, from the easy blues to 'Delirium Dive' and straight forward lift system.
Sunshine is reachable if and easily reachable if you stay in or just outside Banff. Although the is a limited amount on the mountain @ sunshine also.
I'm guessing that you'll hire a car - don't use the busses..

Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

Totally agree, we loved Norquay. Wonderful rolling pistes and completely empty, well worth a visit for a day

Did you go on a Saturday when Calgary and the race clubs are out in full? In fact I would completely avoid it the first and second weekends in Feb. The first weekend is a nancy green race, there will be kids everywhere and runs will be closed. Their parents will clog up the hill and the lodge. The second weekend is the Alberta Winter games and again there will be U14s everywhere and ditto parents.
ski holidays
Thinking Sunshine. Hear you about LL but given opinion is split, and given the extra drive time, it'll more effort to make the first lift. With one day, skiing ALL day has to be the primary aim.

Yep, got a car sorted
snow report
ishay,I was only there for 2 weeks, during that time I split it 1 day 2 night skis at Norquay, 3 days LL, the rest was at Sunshine. Sunshine is more varied and held better snow. The central on hill facilities are quite good, the lift system well laid out, overall by far my favorite of the three.
snow conditions
All this mention of Sunshine Village has prompted me to ask does anyone know what the latest news is regarding the court cases over alleged unfair dismissal of ski patrollers who had a "run-in" with the owner's son who was skiing with friends in a closed area of the mountain a year or two ago?
latest report
Alastair Pink,

All gone very quiet , but I know most of them found employment at Fortress Catskiing and at some point that is planning to grow back to a resort.

ishay, Course you'll be up early , I suspect around 4am...... Make it to car park early at Sunshine, say 8:15 ish. 2nd weekend Feb we'll be there for a race (don't worry though Sunshine can handle a race, its way bigger, lodge is bigger, race is smaller as its southern zone rather than mountain zone, its little kids and the race will only close off part of Strawberry , which I suspect you aren't interested in..............). Bring a face mask as it can be cold in Feb and you don't want to waste time being cold (or you could get one in Banff the night before depending on forecast)! Can get a little windy on the chairs........ First weekend one of us will have been at LL, so we can post a snow update if you are yet to come.
latest report
I'm there on the 8th, which I guess is the second Saturday or the end of the first week depending on which way you look at it
snow conditions
Ok, so just back from 3 days at lake Louise.

Conditions weren't great. Thin snow cover, rocky and icy (and cold on Saturday morning, -29C). So I would go to Sunshine which should be warmer and better snow. I would say you need a mask
latest report
-29! I'm starting to remember why I ski in Europe. Last time I skied that cold was 2008, the last time I skied in N America (Aspen)

Mask is easy but I'm not sure my jackets thick enough for that. bug that means an expensive jacket for one more day skiing this year (just done my full week, last week)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy