Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Sports Insurance policies and Alcohol

Poster: A snowHead
This is a topic I have been looking into recently has I am renewing my annual policy in the next few weeks and also after seeing the result of Michael Schumachers accident it has focussed my mind quite a bit, and I want to know more in future before just settling for any old policy.

I usually have a mulled wine with my dinner whilst on the slopes. I have asked the question to my last insurance company about whether the fact that I would probably have an amount of alcohol in my system should the worst happen would I be covered for my care.

My friend has just had a very bad experience when her father's travel insurance was declined after he took ill whilst abroad on a really small
technicality and had terrible treatment from them on the whole. Her family will have to foot the £100,000 bill for his treatment .

Does anyone out there have experience or know of anyone with any experience in this area.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slightly off topic, but wont 80% of the 100k still be covered by ehic
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I quite often have 3-4 beers over the course of a day's skiing - at no point would I say I was drunk though. I'm sure if your insurance company found you were "under the influence" they would use it as an excuse to renege on settling a claim, however this would be dependent on either a police officer breathalysing you or a doctor taking a blood sample at the time of the accident to prove this categorically, as I would imagine anecdotal evidence would not be enough to refuse settlement.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All the policies I have read have excluded accidents whilst one was under the influence of alchol. It would be rather cynical of an insurance company to apply that too rigidly to skiing insurance; I've tended to think that companies would not wish to risk their reputation if they did. But these days, who knows?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just an opinion... but:

If you had an accident, and you were patched up by the Doctors, then you could claim... however... if in the course of your treatment (and it would need to be relatively soon before any drugs that you were administered by them entered your bloodstream) they had cause to believe that a blood-test would be helpful... AND that blood test showed you to have "significant" alcohol in your system... THEN I can quite see the insurance company trying to wriggle out of paying up.

Going to hospital reeking of booze is one thing... having a vin chaud with a meal won't raise anyone's eyebrows.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

wont 80% of the 100k still be covered by ehic

Not if it happened in Switzerland or the USA. wink

Quote:

Going to hospital reeking of booze is one thing... having a vin chaud with a meal won't raise anyone's eyebrows.

That seems sensible - it's all a matter of judgement.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
That seems sensible - it's all a matter of judgement.

Not to insurance companies . . . the customer is always guilty of some infraction of the T&Cs
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jamescollings wrote:
THEN I can quite see the insurance company trying to wriggle out of paying up.

rightly so in my opinion. anyone that causes an accident to themselves or anyone else should find themselves in the same situation they would if they were driving under the influence.

drinking and skiing/snowboarding do not go hand in hand in my mind.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anastasia wrote:
This is a topic I have been looking into recently has I am renewing my annual policy in the next few weeks and also after seeing the result of Michael Schumachers accident it has focussed my mind quite a bit, and I want to know more in future before just settling for any old policy.

I usually have a mulled wine with my dinner whilst on the slopes. I have asked the question to my last insurance company about whether the fact that I would probably have an amount of alcohol in my system should the worst happen would I be covered for my care.

It depends to some extent what the exact wording of the exclusion is. But these alcohol exclusions are generally there to "exclude claims that arose from the insured person being drunk, not from the mere consumption of alcohol". See http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/29/29-travel.htm#291.

anastasia wrote:
My friend has just had a very bad experience when her father's travel insurance was declined after he took ill whilst abroad on a really small
technicality and had terrible treatment from them on the whole. Her family will have to foot the £100,000 bill for his treatment.

I would be interested in the detail or general gist of this. Can you post it or send it to me via PM?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobalexander1983 wrote:
I quite often have 3-4 beers over the course of a day's skiing

Would you do that and drive?

If you hurt someone when you're drunk, then I'd expect you to be facing criminal prosecution anyway, which I'm sure you can't insure against.

I assumed all those bad riders in the afternoons were just incompetent; something which is reasonable and part of the general risk. But if they are in fact all simply drunk, that's a different issue completely.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam_w EHIC covers Switzerland among other places. It is a European scheme, not just EU.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig wrote:
bobalexander1983 wrote:
I quite often have 3-4 beers over the course of a day's skiing

Would you do that and drive?

If you hurt someone when you're drunk, then I'd expect you to be facing criminal prosecution anyway, which I'm sure you can't insure against.

I assumed all those bad riders in the afternoons were just incompetent; something which is reasonable and part of the general risk. But if they are in fact all simply drunk, that's a different issue completely.

I felt that I was quite explicit that I would not ski "drunk". I would say that I usually have a beer late morning/early afternoon, and one with lunch (assuming we eat somewhere that sells beers - it might only be a small can of beer), then maybe 1 or 2 at the end of the day on the way home. While I almost certainly wouldn't drink that and drive, I have no doubt that spread out over an 8/9 hour day (and weighing 18 stone) I'd be more than capable of driving safely if the need arose.

Perhaps instead of taking issue with responsible recreational skier/drinkers like myself you should seek out the kind of morons who consume several pints and shots before skiing home through Meribel/St Anton and probably 20+ other resorts at teatime every day of the season.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect that unless it was glaringly obvious that you were rat-arsed an insurance company would only start really looking into alcohol consumption if it was a third-party claim, which could run into mega-bucks. So if you splatter somebody after a few beers, watch out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for you comments guys. The thing is I don't really trust insurance companies and will be going over any exclusion with a fine toothed comb and when its down to someones judgement what is reasonable. That is too much of a grey area for me. If they said it was legal drink/driving limit for that country ( I realise in some countries its Nil) at least that is something in black and white to go by.

Anyone know of anyone who has had the misfortune of an accident and had to involve insurance?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

having a vin chaud with a meal won't raise anyone's eyebrows.

Until you get the bill
ski holidays
The mulled wine, if ordered 'well done', will be devoid of alcohol.
snow report
anastasia wrote:
thanks for you comments guys. The thing is I don't really trust insurance companies and will be going over any exclusion with a fine toothed comb and when its down to someones judgement what is reasonable. That is too much of a grey area for me. If they said it was legal drink/driving limit for that country ( I realise in some countries its Nil) at least that is something in black and white to go by.

Anyone know of anyone who has had the misfortune of an accident and had to involve insurance?

You are right to look at all exclusions in detail. I have taken out two policies recently, one of which was very vague...

"Any claim arising directly or indirectly from using alcohol or drugs (unless the drugs have been prescribed by a
doctor) or you being affected by any sexually transmitted disease or condition."

The other which was far more prescriptive...

"8. Alcohol abuse
You drinking too much alcohol or alcohol
abuse where it is reasonably foreseeable
that such consumption could result in an
impairment of your faculties and/or judgment
resulting in a claim. We do not expect you to
avoid alcohol on your trips or holidays, but
we will not cover any claims arising because
you have drunk so much alcohol that your
judgement is seriously affected and you need
to make a claim as a result."

But I really would not worry about a claim being refused due to an accident following a single Mulled Wine for either of those two example policies. Furthermore, I believe that the Insurance Ombudsman would rule in your favour in a Ins co did try and refuse your claim.

Pete
ski holidays
anastasia, the "judgement" involved in deciding whether your vin chaud had rendered you incapable would be as nothing compared to the "judgement" required to decide whether, if you were injured off-piste (even if your insurance explicitly included skiing off piste without a guide) you were skiing "against local advice". You just have to take a good, well-recommended insurance policy, behave sensibly and hope for the best.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith, I take mine raw
snow conditions
This thread seems to follow on nicely from the hip flask thread... wink
latest report
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

wont 80% of the 100k still be covered by ehic

Not if it happened in Switzerland or the USA. wink

[quote]
Switzerland is party to EHIC, I used it when I broke my arm 7 years ago in Verbier, and Mr P used it when damaged his knee in the alps this summer.

Re booze.
The only way I can see a vin chaud at lunch would affect a claim is if:
a. There was a total prohibition of skiing with any alcohol in your bloodstream at any time, or a very specific limit AND
b. Someone took a sample to prove it after an accident.

OR I could see circumstances where someone was so utterly bladdered that it was obvious they were incapable -so you would need witnesses to attest to how pissed you were, or possibly a blood test.

As yet a I don't see piste patrollers with breathalyser kits. God help the Austrians if they start! I read somewhere though that in at least one North American resort they have prohibited the sale of alcohol on the mountain. I really can't see that happening in Europe though!

Be sensible. I think you are far more likely to be injured by an incompetent but sober fool skiing recklessly and/or out of control. No one has to pass a test to ski on the mountain and goodness knows people do the stupidest things.
snow conditions
Quote:

Switzerland is party to EHIC

useful to know, thanks Perty/
latest report
I hate threads like this, the ones that make you think and draws attention to poo-poo that could happen.
I have one or possibly two beers in a ski day and now i have to worry about some slimy suit that would want to blame my lunchtime pint for a broken leg. Might as well not bother with it and just use Carre Neige and Ehic.
ski holidays
I hate having to think about his as well, but after listening to my friends woes on a daily basis, and what the insurance company put them through it's not something I want to just take for granted anymore. Sad I must be getting old.
latest report
Some of my friends have had accidents on the slopes etc, luckily none of us drink whilst skiing - not even just 1 bevvy.

when they've been taken to the medical center/hospital/doctors - wherever, they immediately took bloods to examine blood alcohol/drug levels.

Just like drinking and driving, if they detect alcohol/drugs in your blood you may well risk invalidating your insurance. Some people may say 'but I wasn't drunk, i only had 1 drink' Blood tests don't lie, and drinking and skiing can be very dangerous pariticularly as most people are dehydrated before they even think of having an alcoholic drink which just increases the amount of Blood alcohol in the system. Stay well hydrated - with water...

I never drink and ski, mostly cos i'm a lightweight and i know it, but still, some things just aren't worth risking... after all I can have a beer etc any where in the world any time i like... I can't always ski... Skiing is more important to me
ski holidays
Completely agree with Insiders. You can drink anywhere but please don't do it while skiing. It will NOT improve your performance and may make you ski faster and more recklessly, causing accidents to yourself and others. Have your alcohol après ski - after you have left the pistes.
The quote of 3-4 beers during a day's skiing could be 8 units of alcohol, well over the driving limit. Skiing requires fast reactions.
snow conditions
You guys are well to strungout . Keep out of Austria.

Apres Ski culture will go on .....

http://youtube.com/v/b8s8VsOvKUk
ski holidays
Thanks Insiders, that is just what I suspected to be honest, but still surprising to hear that that's the first thing they do.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, when hubby was injured I'm sure they did not take any blood samples until before surgery the following morning.
snow report
They certainly didn't take any blood at the doctor's at the bottom of the slopes.
snow report
I've a variety of experiences of taking people (and being taken myself) to the medical centre in Les Saisies and nobody has ever had any blood taken at any time.
ski holidays
I've been to Moutier Hospital 5 times with 5 different people over the last 10 years and none of them have had blood tests.
latest report
And come to think of it I also had one casualty in Albertville hospital, and she had no blood test either. There's a touch of paranoia around, maybe?
snow report
Quote:

I felt that I was quite explicit that I would not ski "drunk". I would say that I usually have a beer late morning/early afternoon, and one with lunch (assuming we eat somewhere that sells beers - it might only be a small can of beer), then maybe 1 or 2 at the end of the day on the way home. While I almost certainly wouldn't drink that and drive, I have no doubt that spread out over an 8/9 hour day (and weighing 18 stone) I'd be more than capable of driving safely if the need arose.

Perhaps instead of taking issue with responsible recreational skier/drinkers like myself you should seek out the kind of morons who consume several pints and shots before skiing home through Meribel/St Anton and probably 20+ other resorts at teatime every day of the season.

bobalexander1983, this is almost word for word what people used to say about drinking and driving before the breathalyser. It has been proven that even a single unit of alcohol significantly impairs judgment and reflexes. If you would not drive, you should not ski.

Drinking and skiing is not responsible behaviour!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 4-01-14 13:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Just saying what's happened In my Experience, i didn't say it will have/should have happened to everyone, just what my experience is... everywhere may work slightly differently... and a forum like this is a place for us to share our experiences, not a place for me or you (plural) to be wrong or right...
snow report
I do think that referring to someone as a 'moron', when expressing their views in what I thought was a forum for mature debate is somewhat OTT.
ski holidays
Oh, sorry - I too have had a drink at lunchtime whilst skiing.
ski holidays
I know, it's all a little excessive...

just because someones views/opinions/experiences are different to someone else doesn't mean that if you don't agree you should hammer them for it... If anything, you just show yourself in a worse light... hey ho...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 4-01-14 13:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
We've had two health centre level accidents (no claims - costs too small after ehic to be worthwhile) no bloods either time. That said I'd agree driving comparison seems sensible. That's one of the reason I said on the hipflask thread we rarely actually drink from it, it's more for comedy value. I might have a mulled wine or choc-rum with lunch, and often see the locals with those mini bottles of wine, but that would be my limit. Dodging the afternoon crowds is hard enough sober!

Insiders where did you have bloods taken, France, Swiss etc? Were they biggish accidents (broken limbs)? We were in france both times and minor stuff which it was probably clear wasn't going to lead to a claim.

a.j.
ski holidays
I didn't say that I myself had the bloods, it was my friends who had the bloods taken - it was in France...

Maybe my mates are easily mistaken for boozehounds....! lol!!! Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy