Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help a novice Alpine visitor! would you go to Pra Loup?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm looking to book my first skiing trip for many years this season Very Happy , and for various reasons (lack of budget, children in school etc) I am considering a week with Snowtrex to a resort called Pra Loup, which I have never even heard of before!

My previous experience of the alps has been centered around morzine which I loved, and travelled on the coach, but sadly the budget will not allow this year Sad

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for which I would be extremely grateful for some advice:

1) What is the resort like - is there stuff to do apart from skiing (we have 2 kids, our daughter is 2 and we consider her too young for lessons as yet - can we keep her amused?)

2) We would need to drive there - I know its a long way, but is it a difficult drive - any mountain passes etc.?

3) the deal is terrific value for money (2 adults, 2 kids, self catering 3 lift passes, 3 x ski hire, and some lessons for my son comes in at +/- £950 for 7 nights in the February half term. Being a stereotypical Scotsman, is this abut the best price I can expect, or could I get anywhere near that in the Porte du soleil at half term?

Many thanks for any advice you may have! Very Happy

Gordon

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 3-01-14 12:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

could I get anywhere near that in the Porte du soleil at half term?

I'd be very surprised! Keeping your daughter amused will almost certainly be a lot easier than it has been in the UK for the past very rainy and stormy days - my daughter, at home with a 20 month old and a 3 year old, has been tearing her hair out! Your daughter will enjoy toboganning and just pottering in the snow, maybe with a little beach spade and bucket. I don't know Pra Loup but I ski in a French ski resort nobody has heard of - and it's great. I suggest you amend your thread title to make it clear you'd like to know about Pra Loup.

To answer your question about driving - yes, there could be considerable difficulties getting down there in winter and you definitely need advice from somebody who knows that area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam - I'm worried about the driving - will obviously be getting some snow tyres and chains but I've never driven in the Alps before Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I remember a great week as a kid in Les Orres which looks similar, kids don't notice things like snow cover, number of runs and powder days really so being further south/smaller won't bother them. It's a great deal too. The drive should be absolutely fine as far as Grenoble (motorway), and probably down the main road, but then you've got normal mountain weather to deal with to get up to the village (1800m). You might be fine, blue skies and no trouble, or doing mountain hairpins in 2ft of snow Wink No one knows! If you have done snowy roads in scotland, then ime it isn't much worse, as they are well prepared! Same as any self drive though, so not a reason not to go. If you really can't do it, you park in the valley village and get a cab Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks AJ, that's encouraging Very Happy

I'll be aiming to arrive around midday on the Saturday, so at least I won't have to drive up the mountain in the dark!

Have any members visited Pra Loup recently, and any thoughts on whether the slopes are suitable for two improvers and a beginner?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
M535man, http://www.praloup.com/#acces/en-voiture

useful advice there. It's a long way from Grenoble to Pra Loup (3 hours according to google maps). You really would need snow tyres and be ready to whip chains on (and off, which is worse) if necessary.

I'm sure that, once there, you'd find the resort itself absolutely fine.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied Pra Loup and it's connected resort of fous d'allos. It was 1997. We did a last minute/allocation on arrival job and panicked when the rep said Pra Loup. OMG! WHERE! Actually, really enjoyed it. Saw my first, and only, inverted rainbow. There was tree lined skiing and if IIRC it was all very pleasant and quirky. Probably totally changed now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice all, it's all booked, and we're really looking forward to it!

Will report back my impressions in about 6 weeks Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have snow tyres and chains driving will be a doddle. I thought I could sniff out a bargain, but I've never managed a week for 4 for under a grand. Good luck and enjoy it. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
M535man Smile Looking forward to your trip report, hope you all have a great time snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy