Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski train from Ashford

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're taking the night train from Ashford next Friday and after some pointers.

As far as luggage goes do you just take everything on board or are there luggage carriages?

Does the train start in London then stop in ashford or does it start from Ashford. Guess if it starts in London by the time we get on there might not be much luggage space if it need to come in the train with us. I'm taking skis and a boot bag.

Bit worried we may not get all our luggage on as the train is pretty packed out, this method of travel is clearly way more popular than I ever realised!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

I have travelled by train a couple of times a year for the last 4 years and will be on next saturdays day train.

You just take everything on board - there are the usual luggage racks in each carriage and between carriages for suitcases. normally some seats at each end of each carriage are avaiable to store skis or alternatively they can be put in the areas overhead. Boot bags are also put in either overhead 'shelf' generally from my experience. I have never had an issue with luggage (inc skis and boots) on the train nor seen any others.

Yes the train starts in london and calls at Ashford before going on to france.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Train starts at st pancras, calls at Ashford then onto France, so when you join it there will already be passengers and luggage on board. There is no special luggage car, racks in carriage as per normal train. But with addition of some spare seats per carriage designated for skis. You should. E OK for space have done Eurostar in Jan for number of years.
Good way to travel, enjoy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys that exactly the info I was after! We're praying this goes well and if so will never fly to France again. Last year it took us 14 hours door to door to L2A. Dreadful!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swishtony, all the info you need is on the Eurostar site: Timetable here.

As for luggage, it may not be as easy as previous posters have suggested.
It is true you "just take everything on board". And on this page in paragraph titled Especially for people travelling to the alps it states "we’ve reserved an area in each carriage specifically for your large luggage, so you won’t have to struggle to make everything fit."
But come Ashford you may well struggle. Most people get on at St Pancras. That so-called reserved area isn't actually very big. Those luggage racks soon get filled up with suitcases and boot bags and other stuff.
Be warned: you might have to do a bit or "re-arranging" when you get on at Ashford. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I always wrap a couple of bungees around my ski bag, so that if necessary I can strap it to the end-of-the-carriage luggage racks vertically and know that it won't fall over.

There are also some luggage racks at the end of the carriage furthest from the door, which unsurprisingly don't get so much stuff in them as the ones next to the door do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We boarded the train at Ashford for New Year week (ie. busy) a few years ago and I don't recall there being a problem getting our luggage on. We don't travel light and climbed on to the train with 2 children 2 boot bags and at least 3 suitcases without a problem. It is more important on the way back to make sure your luggage isn't boxed in so that you can get off quickly.

Bear in mind that the official carpark at Ashford is at least £80 for 7 days so will be more if you are doing the overnight train both ways. It was very cold in the UK when we last went. We picked up the car in the multi storey and then stopped at Asda for a loaf of bread or similar. We were then unable to restart the car due to a flat battery. rolling eyes Probably a combination of the very cold conditions and the battery needing replacing!

This year we are going by daytime Eurostar and are trying to decide whether to board at St Pancras or Ashford. We might opt for St Pancras this time if we can find a Thameslink train to get us there. I don't think we'd be able to get all our kit in a London taxi from waterloo to St pancras. Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Bear in mind that the official carpark at Ashford is at least £80 for 7 days

When we have parked at Ashford, we have not used the multi-storey, but rather the open-air car-park (still owned by the station) but is/was £5 a day (and only couple of minutes walk - can do a drop-off before of luggage)
Last January it came to £40 for us.
Am doing the same next Saturday.
Car is exposed to the elements, but no different to if you parked at the Official Long-Stay car-parks at Gatwick for instance.
hth

just used google and found it is
"Ashford Station Car Park B"
and is £6.50 per day

Type: Not covered, Gated, Lit
Features: Safer Parking Award
Height restrictions: 6' 11" (2.10m)
Number of spaces: 265
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again for all the info. We're taking the train the whole way to hopefully make things easier. Let the train take the strain Very Happy

One last question, are there any charging sockets on these trains for iPads etc? Swiss trains, and a few others I'm sure, now have USB charging sockets by each seat.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mains power. Swiss ones are often up high where the coat hooks are, and plenty of them too. German ones in the seat. Dunno about French or Eurostar, but I'd wager they're similar.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been a while but I seem to remember the train to Moutiers had alternate European and UK plug sockets
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My parents stay at the Premier Inn overnight both prior and after trip - they have always been allowed to leave the car in Premier Inn car park for next to nothing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, Premier Inn will actually let you leave your car there even if you don't stay there overnight.
They do request that you consider making a donation into their charity box and £20 seemed the going rate when I did it a 3-4 years ago.
Premier Inn is a 20-25 min walk from the station.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swishtony is on the Overnight all-the-way Eurostar, so the only train he will experience.
On the Eurostar all first class seats have power (alternating continental and UK sockets).
If you are in second class then you need to move your seat to carriage 5 or 14 - the ones adjacent to first class
(can be done any time if seats available on Manage my Booking)
Info here
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy