Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best route from Geneva to La Tania / 3 Valleys ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

still a newbie here on snowheads, and apologies if there has been a recent post on the subject, but I was hoping if anyone would be kind enough to offer advice on the quickest way to La Tania from Geneva airport driving by car?

Im going for a very short 3 day trip (all that I am allowed by the mrs) with my brother in law and really didnt want to loose too much of sunday travelling. Im going this sunday on the 5th early morning so expect traffic to be fairly quiet (unless im wrong) leaving GVA around 10am.

But can't decide between the longer motorway route A41 via chambery (186km) as suggested on a thread on here from 2 years ago or go the shorter way of A41 & D1508 via Annecy/Albertville/Moutiers (around the lake) (141km), which latania.co.uk suggests is quicker and says if your lucky with traffic you could do sub 2 hours. Google maps says the longer way is quicker by 6mins so isn't much in it, but was really hoping if someone has done the journey recently and can recommend the best route Sunday morning and if there are any road works to to avoid etc?

thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latania.co.uk is right.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Raceplate, Is that driving at the speed limit ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs wrote:
Raceplate, Is that driving at the speed limit ?

well within reason, I wouldnt call myself a slow driver but equally so on unfamiliar roads im not gonna take the mick too much either
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raceplate wrote:
latania.co.uk is right.

Done both routes several times and can't really notice the difference in time. Route round lake is pretty but also can be frikking annoying as can be stop/start etc, plus you will get more transfer traffic (no-tolls)

everytime I 'just want to be there' I would take the autoroute and pay the money.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, probably not, but what's your point?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
latania.co.uk is right.

Done both routes several times and can't really notice the difference in time. Route round lake is pretty but also can be frikking annoying as can be stop/start etc, plus you will get more transfer traffic (no-tolls)

everytime I 'just want to be there' I would take the autoroute and pay the money.

thanks for the input may just do this and swallow on the tolls
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, in all fairness I've never timed them that closely but the autoroute just feels interminably long (it's 50km longer). I've also been seriously delayed at the Chambery toll booths on a weekend. Even when the lake route is busy it tends to move steadily and you won't get much transfer traffic going TOWARDS Albertville at 10/11am on a Sunday morning so that would be my choice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
benburton83, as Google suggests, the motorway may be 50km longer, but with average traffic about the same in time.
However, as Raceplate points out: it is a motorway. Long and boring.
The road past Lake Annecy is a delight. Forget the motorway: go by Annecy. You will not regret it.

(often the slowest bit of the journey is from Albertville through Moutiers and on to the resort - this bit is common to both routes)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We always go the annecy route - they're both the same time in my opinion but annecy way has no tolls and nicer views!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
We always go the annecy route - they're both the same time in my opinion but annecy way has no tolls and nicer views!

decided around the lake......well it is a holiday after all Very Happy

thanks for the replies guys very helpful, i will try and post info and pics of my trip
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annecy route every time
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hey, just wanted to update everyone on my journey (that went very smoothly indeed)

Sunday morning (5th Jan) flight landed in Geneva early and we got hire car very quick on swiss side (mini cooper lots of fun). The sat nav was saying long route around the motorway via chambery and as it was foggy we went with that. Very quiet on the roads and took 1hr 45mins to arrive in La Tania which was great. On the slopes for noon which was excellent. On the way home Tuesday evening sat nav saying a bit of traffic on motorways and suggested shorter Annecy route which we took, leaving La Tania at 5.30pm it took 1hr 50mins to get to Geneva airport on the Swiss side encountering very little traffic on the way but without seeing much of the lake annecy as it was too dark. Again very happy and had an excellent trip. thansk for all the help.

I will do a full trip reveiw with some photos when i get the chance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy