Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Found out what's up with the knees...

Poster: A snowHead
...after losing the latter half of my holiday in April to knee pain, I finally saw the docs, and they referred me to a physio, who diagnosed patellar maltracking.
He gave me some starter exercises to do to strengthen the muscles supporting the knee cap.
Since then I have moved to uni where the student health centre are utterly hopeless with sports injuries (stupid since we have such a large amount of sporting clubs) so no physio Sad
Any exercises I can do to strengthen/support knees?
I am also quite overweight since last year due to various reasons including the knees, I want to get back to exercise and lose a lot of weight to help my knees (and looks obv) and get strong... any other cardio I can do apart from swimming to lose weight that won't damage my knees?
Thanks in advance to you all
Julia xx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
crazy_skier_jules, there are quite a few recent threads on knee injury and exercises so a quick search should come up with the goods. Hope you get sorted.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Annoyingly while exercise helps you get fitter, the route to thinner is just less/better food (30mins running == 350cals == a kitkat and coke)...on the plus side eating less def won't hurt the knee Little Angel

Anyway my mum's physio suggested the first 5 of these apparently: http://www.runpeer.com/8-knee-strengthening-exercises-you-should-be-doing/ (bad knee, heavily overweight) worth a look.

Good luck!

aj xx (Still closer to 14 stone than 13, but a hell of a lot better than where I started at a couple of years back)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
crazy_skier_jules,
Quote:
who diagnosed patellar maltracking
Patellar maltracking is my major issue though I also have a partially torn meniscus and partially torn ACL. Maltracking is frequently caused by an underdeveloped/mal co-ordinated/inactive VMO or sometimes by overdeveloped outer quads/underdeveloped hamstring (part of my issue). Your VMO will "switch off" if you have any swelling in your knee which exacerbates the problem. My VMO was completely dead. Since realising this and focusing on it, I have found plies and step downs to be particularly beneficial for reactivating it. Lunges are too painful. Half squats borderline. Make sure you can actually isolate and flex it first. If stood up you should be able to flex it in isolation from your other thigh muscles and see it draw your kneecap upwards and towards the inside of your leg.
http://www.theinjuredknee.com/knee-injury-prevention/top-10-exercises-to-strengthen-vmo-vastus-medialis-obliquus/

Quote:
Any exercises I can do to strengthen/support knees?
Full squats and plyometric jumps. Full squats are excellent for balancing out the muscles around the knee and the full ROM doesn't really irritate the kneecap IME. Make sure you can feel them in your VMO.
http://youtube.com/v/Xz5fUtv_NCA

Quote:
any other cardio I can do apart from swimming to lose weight that won't damage my knees?
Cycling, but possibly not if your VMO is weak as I think it may promote the muscle imbalance. Nordictrack classic pro skier (find a used one) is fantastically boring but an hour a day will drop weight quicker than anything other than a boot camp IME.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, I've been having a look, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right things.

a.j., Raceplate, that's great thanks guys Very Happy yeah apparently some muscles in my leg aren't supporting my knee like they should.

Managing the last day's skiing of the holiday with an open patella knee support, after that, time to fix everything.

Ugh, my diet, I am always eating, I'm always hungry, and even when I am not, I eat when bored or down, also my diet is terrible - yay student - but I did treat myself to a cookbook over xmas so no excuse when I go back to uni Neh Neh

I struggle to find breakfasts that last me - cereal, porridge and a full English don't seem to last :/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
crazy_skier_jules, VMO is really hard to fire up - mine is still concave and doesn't even twitch never mind draw up my kneecap Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crazy_skier_jules, swimming is good rehab for injuries, very low impact. Most universities seem to have pools which are available for recreational swimming for very low cost to students, I'd go see what the options are. Also often they have classes doing things like aquarobics etc, this is something which has helped my mother who is overweight and has joint problems, and a regular class with others who are in similar position will build a social group that keeps you committed - too easy to find excuses not to go to the gym.

My knee problems were significantly helped last ski trip with a Mueller HG80 support. Not the cheapest things (but check out ebay) and it might help if you need support. A physio should be able to advise on what support will help with the specific problem you have, but since you have a diagnosis a bit of googling might help.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Raceplate, I'm not sure I can actually get that low and back up again! I'd give it a try, but the office will think I've gone nuts Smile

In terms of cardio would crosstrainer and rowing work jules? They are hard-work if you dial them up a bit and keep at it, but I don't think put any undue impact strain on my knee (unlike jogging which is great cardio but def does)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mistress Panda, the Mueller HG80 looks cheap to me. My brace was £500 but it's bloody marvellous.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crazy_skier_jules, have a look at the 5:2 diet thread - it's encouraging and interesting - and join the crowd over there. Carrying extra weight is really hard on the knees. You fence, don't you? Once the muscles are better, that's probably quite good - though it's so horribly assymetric. Can you fence "switch"? wink

Squats as low as those above are not, IMHO, good for those of us with less than excellent knees.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had this, I found cycling really helped. I went to the physio for ages and the exercise helped but certain things kept bring the pain back, the only thing that finally got rid of it was taping it for a month then when doing sports. I bought a roll of tape and used this video

http://youtube.com/v/3Qde2CDYRuU
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, My physio advises not to go extreme on squats - too much stress on the knee. He does advocate sumo squats (which look similar to plie)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
My physio advises not to go extreme on squats - too much stress on the knee.
This is common advice but may well be a massive fallacy. Somebody else on here advocated full squats which surprised me so I did some research and decided to change my routine to doing them. This is one of many articles around that debunk the myth.
http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

My experience is that half squats and lunges are painful and at best only maintain my knee at it's 'injured' level. Changing to full squats has been much less painful and they are rapidly strengthening and stabilising my knee. I've only been doing them about 4 weeks and my knee is almost completely pain free. I reckon another 4-6 weeks and it will be as close to normal as could be reasonably expected. This is an injury I've had for 3 years that stopped me doing all sporting activity!

I can also now do step downs with the weight on my heel, hop and I've even run a short distance at full pace - all these things have been impossible for me to do for the last 3 years due to kneecap pain. I should also add that my meniscus tear occurred right after I'd been doing 'safe' half-squats as rehabilitation for my kneecap.

I definitely believe half squats put more stress on the knee than a full squat, not less.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any exercise for patella maltracking should not bring on the pain.

If it does it won't work.

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well it turns out I can do full squats, but they make my right knee crack in a worrying sounding way every 10 or so....definitely a workout though!
snow report
Wow, that's such a brilliant response - thanks guys, so much info! I am already a member at the sports centre at uni, only offpeak, grrr wish I had paid for the full time one now! They have a pool I already use every so often and my archery coach has invited me to go swimming every morning like she does - at 6:30am though Shocked

Crosstrainer and cycling if without pain will be my next steps I think.

I'm going to have to exercise a hell of a lot as I like to eat what I want, will check out the diet stuff but it's never succeeded so far... here's hoping!
snow report
Quote:

I like to eat what I want

but if it's a choice between that and keeping your body in decent shape for the sports you love? A lot of the people doing 5:2 have reported a long term positive change in "what they want".
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
Wow, that's such a brilliant response - thanks guys, so much info! I am already a member at the sports centre at uni, only offpeak, grrr wish I had paid for the full time one now! They have a pool I already use every so often and my archery coach has invited me to go swimming every morning like she does - at 6:30am though Shocked

Crosstrainer and cycling if without pain will be my next steps I think.

I'm going to have to exercise a hell of a lot as I like to eat what I want, will check out the diet stuff but it's never succeeded so far... here's hoping!

That's the beauty of the fast diet, 5 days a week you can eat exactly what you want, you only need to restrict your diet on two days. Certainly the easiest and most effective diet I have ever tried / followed.
snow report
Ok, sounds do-able!
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules, Diet and exercise need to work in tandem.
ski holidays
red 27, yep, and it's all a bit overwhelming changing everything! My brain is mushy right now.

Doesn't help that my boyfriend is saying I need to spend ages in the gym/pool burning off fat, but is convinced he can "convert" his fat beer belly into muscle with 15 mins of weights twice a week.

I might be confused but at least I am not deluded like him, and I know the importance of CV exercise Mad

Where is this 5:2 diet thread? Puzzled
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93164&highlight=

I would highly recommend watching the tv program on the first page.
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93164

102 pages - some of them have become a little obsessed..... wink
snow conditions
Ohhhhh that's the one - thanks! I did search for 5:2 and got nothing, so I was a bit confused.

I really shouldn't do this stuff when I am tired (and rather irritable as boyf has found out to his chargrin) - still suffering from the long trip back from Swiss Alps yesterday - plane was delayed >.<
snow conditions
Referred to a dietitian today by my GP.
Along with anti-depressants being doubled and counselling booked Sad
University/fees stress and body stress caused me to have a break down last night with self harm. Very rare Confused
So, we'll see how it all goes. I want to start exercising already though as this will help with depression.
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, sorry to hear that; hope you feel better soon. If you can get some exercise going it might well help.
snow conditions
Sad Sending good thoughts your way...Swimming is great for clearing the mind and getting fit at the same time, give it a whirl - I did a 7am morning fitness class for a group of weeks last year and if nothing else it's great for your mood, feels like you have got one over on the day before most people even get up Smile
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules, my advice is to mix up different exercises like cycling, swimming, step? through the week, and up the amount of walking, should b' eas'eh en tut hills eh? Very Happy
you can always add a few Kgs in a backpark which helps to burn more calories too.

Get well soon
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good idea dbeatski, and a.j., when I manage an early morning it feels good. Maybe one day I will join my archery coach on her 6:30am swim! Skullie Thanks to both of you and pam w and everyone else for all the support <3
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy