Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice.. Train travel and resort choice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I have stumbled across this forum as I am researching our holiday, it would be great if I could get some advice.
My partner and I are newbies although I did go skiing 20 yrs ago and picked it up pretty quickly.
We are looking to enjoy a train journey through Europe with 10 days in a ski resort at the end of it and train home.
Thanks in advance..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glenfish, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Where are you starting from, and when are you planning travel. And some idea of budget?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Because if your budget is BIG there are probably some lovely Swiss solutions to your problem. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've did the train for the first time a few weeks ago and went to Meribel in the 3 Valleys: Eurostar to Paris Nord, cross Paris to Gare Austerlitz, sleeper from Gare Austerlitz to Moutiers arriving at 730am. 20 min drive up to resort. I leave again for Val d'Isere tomorrow on the same route (getting off at Bourg St Maurice though). From the research that I've done the most convenient French resorts if travelling by train seem to be: 3 Valleys (Val Thorens, Meribel, Courchevel), Les Arcs, La Plagne, Val d'Isere, Tignes ie easy access from Moutiers or Bourg St Maurice.

I've found that www.loco2.com is a very helpful resource.

Enjoy!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Start here:

http://www.seat61.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the help so far... my budget isn't huge, £3k'ish. we're based in hants. The Swiss Alps train looks great, but would also like ideas on resorts, hotels etc
I believe that Switzerland, and France are now the most expensive resorts for dining, beer etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For skiing by train the most useful website I've found is http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk - it lists various resorts in a number of European countries that are relatively easy to get to by train from the UK along with routes to take, timing, transfers to use etc. I have no connection to them other than finding it a really useful resource when planning where to go. seat61 as mentioned above is also great, though less focused on skiing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Switzerland, and France are now the most expensive resorts for dining, beer etc

It depends. Switzerland is expensive because of their very strong currency. The big name French resorts are expensive, though if you stay in a catered chalet that won't make a big difference as you won't have to spend a lot - just a light lunch and the odd drink. Your budget should be just about OK for 10 days skiing if you go easy on the "extras" but in many places it's not easy to get 10 day stays as European resorts tend to work in Sat/Sat or Sun/Sun.

The classic train holiday might be to the Jungfrau region of Switzerland, with stunning scenery, though I've no idea how manageable that would be on your budget.

When are you thinking of going?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last year they ran the TGV Lyra on Saturdays direct from/to St.Pancras to/from the Swiss Rhone Valley stations of Lausanne, Martigny and Sion. From these you have a great range of Swiss resorts to connect to via a local train, including Villars, Verbier, Crans Montana, and up to Brig to Zermatt and Saas Fe. We've considered this but we're not that near to London so we'd have had to stay overnight Friday and go right past a major airport, which seemed perverse. See if they are doing it this year as well.

Switzerland needn't be that much of a premium over France as the CHF is pegged against the Euro anyway. If you opt for a self-catering apartment and do some research with the local websites you should be able to keep food costs down, and get reasonable accommodation. Lift passes do tend to be more expensive, however. But the incresing number of French people you see in Switzerland is a testament to how much less crowded and civilised most Swiss resorts are compared to French, all other things being equal. Although I daresay there will be a lot of people who might not agree with the comparison.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy