Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sochi . . . safe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
abc,
Quote:

Russia wanted to be viewed as a developed, civilized country. But it's not living up to the standard. Instead, the latest law is showing the world it's willingness to stoop to the same level as Saudi Arabia...

I see you are from New York, so I wonder about the wisdom of using the statement quoted. You live in country where some states have banned 'On The Origin of Species...' and teaching of anything other than the creation theory for the begining of life on Earth. You also live in a country where some states still have on statute capital murder for children.

Everyone's idea of what civilized countries should or should not be doing is very different, so as the old expression goes, people who live in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones.[/i]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jude1 wrote:
Which party is Lloyd George in? Is he one of those UKIP blokes?

He's in the "dead politicians" party.

Context is also a wonderful thing. He was in fact criticising the policies of the National Government of the 1930s, which had opposed a proposed international treaty to ban aerial bombing.

Irony, a hard concept to grasp, apparently.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
foxtrotzulu wrote:
My question is, to what degree should we accept that different countries have different values from our own?

What do you mean by "accept"?

Do I think we should bomb countries with different values into oblivion. No, not really.

Do I think we should refrain from criticising, for example, female genital mutilation because it forms part of some cultures? No, not really.

Do I think Sochi should be boycotted? No, not really. But it should be used for maximum effect to embarrass Russia over its human rights abuses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

Personally I regard the subjugation of women under Islam to be a far greater affront to human rights and human dignity than the ban on gay propaganda.

This is a totally irrelevant - why do you bring it up?

Quote:

I did wonder whether one of the factors behind Russian thinking was the concern over their shrinking population.

Just bizarre - why do you think this?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mozwold,
Quote:

as the old expression goes, people who live in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones.

This argument is absolute garbage. What happens in Saudi Arabia is far worse than what happens in Russia, and what happens in Russia is far worse than what happens in the US. Are you seriously saying that being resident in the US means you have no right to speak out on other countries violations?

Which country has a perfect human rights record? None - so by your logic nobody should oppose human rights violations in other countries.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
xyzpaul,

Ok, I'll bite. First of all, not once did I mention Saudi Arabia, and secondly my comment was as a direct result of this:
Quote:

Russia wanted to be viewed as a developed, civilized country. But it's not living up to the standard

So try to understand context before you label a point of view garbage.

And just as a matter of interest, what do you believe happens in Russia that's worse than executing children, in terms of living up to the standard of being a " developed, civilized country?"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
xyzpaul,
Quote:

foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

Personally I regard the subjugation of women under Islam to be a far greater affront to human rights and human dignity than the ban on gay propaganda.

This is a totally irrelevant - why do you bring it up?

My point was that the world is full of abuses that we may find objectionable but that people seem to be more vocal in their criticism, of Russia than they are of other countries with worse or equally bad records. As an example, the English cricket team regularly visit India. The 2010 Commonwealth games were held there. And yet, in India homosexuality is actually a crime. Russian laws to outlaw Gay pride marches and ban the dissemination of gay propaganda seem positively enlightened by comparison. Do we hear the same degree of criticism and vitriol directed at India? No. It strikes me that in addition to a lot of valid criticism there is also an unpleasant whiff of Russophobia.

Quote:

I did wonder whether one of the factors behind Russian thinking was the concern over their shrinking population.

Just bizarre - why do you think this?
I should probably have explained this better. In the UK and much of the West we seem to have settled, in our own minds, the nature vs. nurture debate about homosexuality. In other countries the debate is not so settled and many countries, including Russia I believe, consider it more a question of nurture. Consequently, they are keen to discourage people from 'turning gay' as there is a concern, however bonkers, it might affect the birth rate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

My point was that the world is full of abuses that we may find objectionable but that people seem to be more vocal in their criticism, of Russia than they are of other countries with worse or equally bad records. As an example, the English cricket team regularly visit India. The 2010 Commonwealth games were held there. And yet, in India homosexuality is actually a crime. Russian laws to outlaw Gay pride marches and ban the dissemination of gay propaganda seem positively enlightened by comparison. Do we hear the same degree of criticism and vitriol directed at India? No. It strikes me that in addition to a lot of valid criticism there is also an unpleasant whiff of Russophobia.

I think you're quite right
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy