Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How easy is it to navigate around Sella Ronda?

Poster: A snowHead
I know that I skied it many ( 20 ?) years ago, but with a guided holiday group.
This year we are staying in Selva Val Gardena, are confident and competent
piste skiers - but not so good with the maps in areas we do not know ! Is it clearly marked and easy to follow - or easy to go wrong ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are MASSIVE signs at all the lifts on the circuit - colour coded for clock/anti-clock - so it's hard to go wrong in anything but bad visibility.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dead easy follow the orange signs for clockwise and green signs for the anti clockwise. Simples. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scrumpy, even a numbnut like me can do it in both direction inna day. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above.

One sign is missing on the clockwise route, when you get to the go-go bar. Follow the "alternative" route - it's better anyway.

For those not starting in Arabba, I've never paid attention to the signs at the bottom of Portovescovo and Burz pistes, but I guess there is something that makes it obvious you need to walk across town a bit?

Other than that it's easy peasy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now there was me thinking the Sella Ronda was a resort ... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
- sounds good to me!

Now I just have to work out how to get to Rifugio Averau - the one mountain restaurant I've never forgotten! The reviews seem to indicate that it's still excellent - last time it was so good that we took the whole holiday group back on the last day - well it was a "Piste and Pasta" holiday !
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't go wrong- easy peasy...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinm, wonderful scenic circuit around rocky mountain range !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"...Now I just have to work out how to get to Rifugio Averau ....."

The Averau is marked on the map -- give it a click..

http://www.5torri.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mappa-5-torri.jpg

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 2-01-14 19:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always miss the one at Ciampinoi – I think you have to go around the lift to see it (orange).

Also, sharp left at the bottom of Dantercepies (green). Miss that and suffer the drag Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As the winner of the most registered miles covered In a week a few years ago, I can say its easy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scrumpy,

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mapview.php?ueberschrift=Zum+Lagazoui+Panorama+und+weiter+zum+Rifugio+Fedare&tournummer=4&kartenname=karte4.jpg&breite=909&hoehe=613&sprache=D

The map is clickable.

This map can help you to get to Rifugio Averau, even though it is not marked on the map - the yellow dot north of Rifugio Fedare is the Rifugio Averau. Madeye-Smiley

Taxibus from Armentarola.

The map is a litte old and one new lift has been added since.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why do people think going around is the main feature? Ski a bit and drop into smaller areas and you tend to avoid the "we did it both ways in one day" crowd.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
homers double, good point. We've done it both ways once (not on the same day though), and that's enough really. Treat it like the M25 – a vital route, but congested, better elsewhere, and get off as quickly as possible!
ski holidays
Thanks for all your help everyone Cool Cool
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Scrumpy, even a numbnut like me can do it in both direction inna day. wink

Actually, having gone around the SR many times in both directions or part way as a route to elsewhere, it's not always as obvious as one might imagine. Although it's circular route, it's not always simply a case of left or right as you exit each lift station. As mentioned, poor viz can really mess things up. The absolute key, is to seek out the SR sign, either green or orange as soon as you exit the station. Try not to ski either way until you've clearly identified your route.
ski holidays
There is scope for not seeing, or totally ignoring a sign. Belvedere area is one. Took 3 loops of that once to get all members of a group to go straight on and not hang a left at the BIG sign half way down! Even after being told for the 2nd time! Certainly can't get lost, but a huge bowl with 2 lower end points is asking for trouble when group members disobey a really really easy instruction (and half know the way anyway!).

Top of the drag lift in Malga Ciapela after the Marmolada run to get back to Arabba/Sella Ronda is the usual one where people are totally blind and/or totally ignore what they were told 5 minutes earlier.
Big sign that says ARABBA go left. 50% of the time, at least one member in the party goes right or doesn't wait by the sign. Maybe they're addicts that just need to ride a drag?
ski holidays
Getting lost is part of the fun; it is all about the journey dontcha know.
ski holidays
Mollerski, Everytime I've seen it it's like follow your fellow Lemming. wink . . . which makes getting off it and into some of the side valleys so much more fun and there some absolutely crackin' runs all around the area. Huge immaculate, virtually empty white autostrada to really play with technique and carving on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Masque, sounds good to me ! Love practising different turns - in synch of course !
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
Getting lost is part of the fun; it is all about the journey dontcha know.

Apart from when you're in the wrong valley and the lifts are about to close. Confused
ski holidays
Masque, I'm definitely going to aim directly for more of the 'offshoots' next time.
ski holidays
Yup. Edelweiss Valley - went there once and saw only one other skier... oh... I was skiing with him Wink Alba/Ciampac - again, deserted. Santa Croce - this is a strange one - heaving restaurant, empty piste. The blue run out to Marmolada - again, mostly deserted (possibly helped by there being a rickety old 2-man on a through route. The San Cassiano blue that goes down past the really really really really icy freezing cold lift (Maserei?) - I suspect the nightly piste basher causes more traffic than skiers do.
ski holidays
andy, Not heard of Edelweiss valley -- which area is it in ??
snow report
No idea if it'll be any good, but I've just found and installed an app called SkiMaps (cost me 1.99) and once it's installed there are loads of ski maps to download, inc. the Sella Ronda, Arabba North and Arabba South.
ski holidays
albob, colfosco - the small one off to the side when 99% of people either ski right past or ride the chair-chair-gondola-more gondola-...
snow conditions
Colfosco due north, only a small valley up with 2 sides at the end, but nice

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mapview.php?ueberschrift=Inside+the+turmoil+of+the+Edelweiß+valley&tournummer=8&kartenname=karte8.jpg&breite=410&hoehe=470&sprache=E

copy the adress into your bowser. link dose not work
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Apart from when you're in the wrong valley and the lifts are about to close

Always in the last uphill bar by then.

I like it up the side of colfosco, decent goulash soup, a good view, and a steepish but short black (although its marked red on hyst's map)

The runs down from santa's crotch are very pretty and just what you need after lunch
snow report
Quote:

The San Cassiano blue that goes down past the really really really really icy freezing cold lift (Maserei?)

The one that heads back to La Vizza? Nice run, but as you say the lift makes you wish you were dead.
snow report
was really grippy hero snow last year in there (edit: the edelweiss one), and deserted. we got out the inclinometer (well an android phone) to measure the gradient, and decided it was a genuine black. but it's the 2nd easiest black I've ever seen.

Cir black in to Selva (apparently rebuilt since the landslide) also appears as red on some maps

edit: yup - La Vizza (piste is marked as Maserei on Google maps)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-01-14 22:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I think it gets black because although not long it only has a single gradient so you can get up a fair bit of speed, also in shadow a lot?
snow report
Hyst,
andy,

Thanks -- got it now :: Colfosco is definitely worth the diversion

I first went to the dolomites in the late 80's ( Sad age ) when it was a series of 5 !! drag lifts to get you from colfosco to dantercepies....

even after all this time I am finding pistes I have never used ::

I only discovered/skied the Colfosco area 3 years ago.... and last year was the first time I skied down the back of the Piz Sella to Monte Pana (following posts on snowheads)

Wonder what I will discover this year Smile
snow conditions
andy wrote:
........ but it's the 2nd easiest black I've ever seen.

Keep it tight to the left with linked turns and it gets a little trickier. wink
ski holidays
Easy....both directions in one day is doable......not by me like Very Happy
snow conditions
albob wrote:
and last year was the first time I skied down the back of the Piz Sella to Monte Pana (following posts on snowheads)

Yup, going down that way can be a bit of a pain with flat track through the woods in places. But once there, in my experience it is always deserted and a few nice runs off that chair lift to go round, often one of them is left unpisted too.

Did you discover the way back from there to the bottom part of the Selva Gardena world cup run? Not that it is necessarily the best way to get back (depends where you are heading of course). Toofy Grin

The area off Alba and especially the first part of the run down to Pozza Di Fassa through the woods is rather nice. But the long flat outrun not so good.
latest report
".Did you discover the way back from there to the bottom part of the Selva Gardena world cup run.." No, but will be having a look..!

"...The area off Alba and especially the first part of the run down to Pozza Di Fassa through the woods is rather nice.." -Yes, the Neilsons guide took us there last year :: the Alba black is nice and quiet and ususlly in good condition (no moguls !!)
ski holidays
Quote:

the Alba black is nice and quiet and ususlly in good condition (no moguls !!)

dare you to say that to shaf in boots! I don't think she was particularly impressed Wink

usually is a nice run, but one day it went from knee deep powder to man eating moguls in the time it took to loop round one more time.
snow report
Alba sounds like a number one spot. Must try to get there.
snow report
The Flying Gooseberry, yup! usually deserted, possibly because of the 5min free bus from Canazei to Alba.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy