Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski courses? Warren Smith, Snoworks, etc,

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about doing a week long course in a couple months.
Any recommendations or reviews of Warren Smith, Snoworks, or Inspired To Ski?
Not sure whether I want to do purely technique or maybe some powder/off piste stuff.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, we did the academy corse in March, they do a ski off to ascertain your level, we did a lot of technique some off piste, we did Tortin twice http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/4444186/The-worlds-scariest-ski-runs-terror-at-the-top.html, we will definitely be going back for another course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This company is excellent:
http://www.skivo2.co.uk/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They're all pretty good and I'm sure you'd enjoy whichever you choose. I favour Warren Smith; if there's good snow about then you will ski it and if not you'll be in the skied up crud and bumps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did half a snoworks all terrain course in March, only completed 2 days as had to go home due to break in.

But what I completed, I was very impressed by. I wanted a course which got me to ski the whole mountain, which it did seem to offer, ie bumps, carving and off piste. I was in a level 4 group, the groups went all the way up to level six iirc. The level 5 group were skiing the couloirs off the top of courchevel by the second day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote from Snoworks from me. We've done 2 courses with them and found them very good, got us beyond the Intermediate Plateau, and really opened up the mountains to us.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did a Snoworks bumps course at the end of November. Really rated the teaching, and felt like I'd learned a lot by the end of the week. Our instructor wasn't one of the regular Snoworks guys (Mark McKellar from the Avoriaz Alpine Ski School, I'd definitely recommend him if you're looking for someone in the PdS), but I got the impression the Snoworks team were very careful about their choice of instructors, and everyone else seemed very happy with their classes. It was my first time with the company, but I reckon that two thirds of the people there were repeat customers, which says a lot.

As to the choice of course, I'd picked the bumps course because it was pre season with limited runs, so thought it would be a good idea to focus on one thing. Luckily it had snowed all the week before, so there was lots more skiing. We were given the choice to switch to the all terrain course, to take advantage of the conditions. During the week people moved between classes, so I think there is a bit of flexibility.

My only word of warning would be the choice of hotel. I stayed with Mark Warner in the Hauts de Toviere, which was rubbish. I'd always thought MW was a quality tour operator, but maybe my expectations were too high?

Snoworks though, big thumbs up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GordonFreeman,

I'm doing a Snoworks course in Feb, I've not used them before so will report back. It was down to Warren Smith and SW for me, SW being prefered due to offering a variety of courses and resorts-always fancied skiing in the EK area. eversolazy,Going to drop you a PM re the MW accom. I've booked the course but no flights etc booked yet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Based on my experience I'd recommend that you look for a course run by an organization run by a current BASI trainer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having experienced Warren Smith and allmountainperformance the latter is head and shoulders above. Individual attention, no ego, better technical explanations and quicker results.

http://allmountainperformance.com/

BASI Ski Teacher, Highest Level 4, ISTD (International Ski Teacher Diploma)
Level 3 Mountain Saftey
Alpine Performance Coach
Full French Equivalence
European Speed Test Holder (Eurotest)
European Ski Pro Card Holder (GB)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have a look at www.skimarmalade.com in Meribel
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think who you go with and what you get can be quite a variable experience which is partly only down to the snow conditions.

If you want mostly 'off piste' then you MUST specifically take an 'off piste course'. If you take an 'all mountain' course for example with an element of 'off piste'
please do not be to disappointed if in December there isn't much snow around. Similarly, Moguls are unlikely to be abundant in December too.
It takes ages to acquire a new skill so give yourself the best chance by taking a specific course and doing it at the right time in the season if at all possible.

Ideally, one to one instruction with a good recommended instructor / coach can't be bettered. It's expensive because you have to pay for all their on snow costs(can be alot) and their time/wages to.
If you want to ski like a BASI guy/gal - go with BASI. All the systems (national associations) teach skiing slightly differently. I'm not convinced all english native skiers will improve the most in the shortest time span with only a BASI instructor. Obviously there shouldn't be missed communication, it just doesn't need a hotshot or a young guy or a BASI 3/4 to be the only effective instructor / coach for you.

The message i want to say the most is... be particular with what you want the most, be it, piste performance, off piste , moguls etc and 100% focus on that alone for the instruction bit of the holiday in a resort known for that aspect at the right time of the year to give yourself the greatest chance of success.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just did a week on the intermediate http://allmountainperformance.com/ course, can thoroughly recommend it !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just did a week on the intermediate http://allmountainperformance.com/ course, can thoroughly recommend it !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GordonFreeman, Back from my Snoworks AT course so feel a bit better qualified to comment.

I've written a more detailed review but in a word it was superb.

The conditions were good so we were mostly off piste. It's all about giving you the tools to open up more of the mountian to you and you don't get bogged down in technique. All the instructors are Lv 4. Very nice bunch and as as solo skier it was very socialable.
ski holidays
GordonFreeman wrote:

Not sure whether I want to do purely technique or maybe some powder/off piste stuff.

Personally I'd suggest deciding what you want out of it first....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy