Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Custom footbeds dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I've been skiing for many years, but only bought my own boots several years back (wide foot thermoformed Heads). Still rent boots at the resorts occasionally.
The Heads were OKish in the beginning, but during last several ski trips I found I was getting quite nasty pain in my feet as I started skiing every day.
I have to unfasten everything and do a few runs in loose boots, then in gradually goes away. I have a flat feet problem and use custom orthotic insoles in my walking shoes.

Going to Tignes in a few days (UCPA full training 6 days), not taking the boots with me.

I was going to get a pair of custom footbeds from s4f in Bicester, but left it till too late, they are now fully booked till 9th of Jan.

What is the best thing to do, I do not really want to have this trip ruined by the feet problem, but also looking for a longer-term solution:
1) As an alternative, get custom footbeds from Ellis Brigham MK, - they should be able to make a pair on a short notice, but as I understand it might be hit or miss there. Also not exactly cheap for a temporarily solution - I was told they cost £87, that should roughly be the same as getting them in Tignes ?
2) Trying thermoformed insoles (the ones that cost £€15-20 and are formed in a microwave) or using my standard orthotic insoles (picture below). I know the latter is not recommended, but I don't really understand why - they seem to just lift the arc so the foot does not spread against boot sides .

3) If 2) does not work - get them made in Tignes, there seem to be a few bootfitters there - not sure how long would it take and costs involved. Also there is a risk that they will not fit my own boots when I come back.

I am also thinking of getting new boots fully adjusted from s4f later on, will I be able to transfer the custom footbeds in this case ?

Thanks[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
where you based and what range will you travel?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-01-14 15:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nnnnnn, your issues could be anything from lack of ankle flex/range of movement, incorrectly sized boots or lack of a footbed - or a combination of all. The solution is to go & see a good bootfitter. Actually the solution was to go & see a good bootfitter about 4/5 months ago.

It continues to amaze me the number of people that have long term kit problems & have booked expensive ski trips we in advance & then try to sort their most important items of equipment out in the last few days before departure at what is the busiest time of the year for suppliers rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Milton Keynes, I would travel to Bicester, it is only a half an hour away, but don't really have time for London etc. - quite a few things to do before the holiday

also
4) Buying checked in luggage for the return flight and getting new boots from Nevada Sports in Tignes (will have 6 days to test and tune them up)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
Actually the solution was to go & see a good bootfitter about 4/5 months ago.

Well, I didn't expect to go skiing this season 4/5 months ago, I only booked this trip a few weeks back ..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nnnnnn, do not waste money getting custom footbeds made now if you are going to change your boots soon as they may not fit.

For this trip I would use your regular orthotics or else buy a pair of off the shelf Superfeet blue or green insoles (easy to do online) and make an appointment with Solutions for feet for later.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There'll be no end of ski shops in Tignes that can do an orthotic for you. I would go there and ask their advice for the problem you've got. If they agree, they make one and it doesn't work they can investigate other solutions for you too. If you do it in MK and it doesn't work, your holiday's over before you can change anything else so better to do it in resort.

There's not normally a problem with moving a footbed from boot to boot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your replies.

What are these custom footbeds made of ? Do they use Superfeets as a base, in this case may I just buy it now and customise later ?
Also would there be a language issue in Tignes, my French is rubbish, will they require much input from me ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nnnnnn, there are various ones but the most common are Superfeet and Conformable. Conformable which are plastic with a foam base are the most common custom footbed in France IME. They're both formed from a new flat base - they don't customise an existing pre-shaped base so don't buy here first unless you think you can use them in some other shoes afterwards. Ski boots are normally any one person's smallest footwear though, so they may be too small to transfer to hiking boots for instance. There are also cork based custom footbeds which are more expensive again.

Speaking English in Tignes won't be a problem but it might be worth changing the thread title to ask for a recommended boot fitter in Tignes so you have an idea of where to go or better still pre-book an appointment before you leave the UK. I haven't been there for a few years so I'm out of date with who's good at the moment I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nnnnnn, the customer footbeds I have are Instaprint, which need a professional to produce. The process is described here: http://www.outdoortradersuk.com/homepage?id=2/

I had my boots, including the footbeds, fitted by James at Outdoor Traders in Abingdon, who is very good, and wouldn't be far for you to travel.

To echo what others have said, you really need a good professional boot fitter to look at your feet, stance, etc. and work out what the issues are. It's possible your current boots can be sorted, so I'd take them into a boot fitter before buying a new pair.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The OP is talking about having a pair of custom footbeds made to put in a pair of hire boots I think as he says he is not taking his existing boots with him. For this I think his usual orthotics or a mid price off the shelf would be better especially if he is planning to go to Solutions for Feet at a later date, far better to let them do the whole process start to finish, I would have thought.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah wrote:
The OP is talking about having a pair of custom footbeds made to put in a pair of hire boots I think as he says he is not taking his existing boots with him. For this I think his usual orthotics or a mid price off the shelf would be better especially if he is planning to go to Solutions for Feet at a later date, far better to let them do the whole process start to finish, I would have thought.
Oh yeah, hadn't spotted that. You're probably right then, all seems a bit excessive for hire boots. Superfeet green for skiing, IMO. Or Red if you get cold feet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again.
Superfeet now, s4feet after then.
Looks like I need the blue SF, as they are designed for lower arches.
Will try them in the store tomorrow.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nnnnnn, when you try them, remember that your feet don't flex in a Ski boot so you can use a higher support than you would in a shoe that flexes. I use Blue in Golf and walking shoes but green in my Ski boots with no problem. Also, the Blue has ridges underneath that can cut into some materials and cause problems. The Green is Flat underneath.
snow conditions
Buy from Nevada sports in Tignes. Perfect chance to use them and have tweeks locally. Plus a great reputation.
snow report
Alex A wrote:
Buy from Nevada sports in Tignes. Perfect chance to use them and have tweeks locally. Plus a great reputation.

Boots or footbeds ?

I thought it would make sense to get a new pair of boots fully adjusted and tested there, but Swiss want £50-60 to add a hold bag to the booking and also I might miss the last train from the airport if I have to wait for the luggage.
Also I don't think I will go to Tignes again soon should there be any problems with the boots.
latest report
Raceplate wrote:
I use Blue in Golf and walking shoes but green in my Ski boots with no problem. Also, the Blue has ridges underneath that can cut into some materials and cause problems. The Green is Flat underneath.

I goggled this - there seemed to be split opinions on which one you need if you have flat feet issues.
Some people say green for support, others - blue for comfort.
Good point about the ridges. On the other hand the green one is noticeably thicker, so may cause issues with standard thickness socks.
snow conditions
I got a pair of footbeds fitted in my solomon x-120's cost me 80 quid to get them fitted and moulded money well spent if you ask me skiing was better and no aches or pains
snow conditions
nnnnnn, it you use custom orthotics in your walking shoes, would they transfer to the ski boots while you used them until you get to CEM? I use a pair of Superfeet green and the same make and model fit into my ski boots and into my trainers (though personally I do have two different sets to save on the swapping).
ski holidays
The dilemma of where to buy boots when you live in the UK and ski elsewhere...

Unless you like your boots loose and cumfy/sloppy they will need adjustment as the liner packs out so either you DIY or you will need to go back to your boot fitter. In practice this means that buying in Tignes if you do not ski there regularly is not the solution. Buy in UK in Bicester, and if you need to fiddle with modifications later try them on the slope at MK or HH or in resort on your next trip.

A full custom footbed for a hire boot sounds like a waste of money. The hire shop will probably put you in boots larger than Colin at S4F so they may not fit the boots that he will sell you. Better to use a decent off the shelf one like the Superfeet already suggested. Definately green for a hire ski boot. Trim it as large as you can get them in and you can probably use in other footwear when you get back.

Competing interests:
I have Superfeet in all of my footwear except current ski boots; 3/4 length black for dress shoes but green or blue for everything else depending on how much room there is in the shoe/boot and whether original bed is removable. Much easier than switching my previous very expensive orthotics about and just as effective.
My last two pair of low volume alpine ski boots came from Colin at S4F with his custom footbeds. If asked he is likely to admit I am a bit fussy but then I like a close fit so that most of the time my skis go where my feet are trying to direct them. And have fun with UCPA!
snow report
Thanks again for your replies, it was very helpful indeed.

I've tried skiing in my standard orthotics in SnowZone today. The problem was still there, but I would say it was more manageable, that might have been due to much shorter runs though.

The guy in Ellis Brigham said blue and only blue SF for flat feet, but I then went to a hiking shop where they had a SF demo stand there, with all sizes/colours to try .
They recommended green, and I think it matched my foot better, the blue one felt completely flat and unsupportive. They also had SF on sale for £28 and would allow to return it within 60 days if something was not right, so it was a no-brainer really. If it is as good as everyone says I will probably get another "wide SF" pair for my trainers. Will keep the green SF for occasional weekend ski breaks when travelling light and renting.
snow report
nnnnnn, I get good value from my SF green. I started to use them to help a heel problem, which is now solved, but I continue to wear them and they are currently in their third set of (supportive running) trainers (which I now live in). £28 sounds wince worthy for them, but I was convinced when I saw how they lasted and how much they helped.
snow conditions
nnnnnn, I would also point you to Nevada Sports in Tignes le Lac if you decide to use a bootfitter out there. It's more or less opposite the Post Office.
Two of my sons have had boots from there and I was happy with the service and fitting that they got.
snow report
ellis brigham want £87.50 for moulded footbeds, snow and rock charge £67.50. anyone know if the cost/difference is worth it?
ski holidays
Don Keebles wrote:
ellis brigham want £87.50 for moulded footbeds, snow and rock charge £67.50. anyone know if the cost/difference is worth it?

Check you are comparing like with like, there are different footbeds and different components which can be added on which can take the cost up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy