Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are black runs the safest?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking back over the last few seasons the penny's dropped that I haven't had a single 'near miss' on a black run:

1. much less traffic
2. tend to be slower than red, so less consequences if you fall anyway?
3. other skiers seem to give much more space - because there is much more space, and because their etiquette & abilities just seems to be much better

The more I think about it the more I reckon the risk comes from the speed of red runs, and the crowds and mix of skier speeds on the blue runs.

What d'ya reckon?

mnbv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know people who have been seriously injured on black, red, nursery slope (yes, really) and a friend of a friend was killed off piste. I don't detect much of pattern at all except, maybe, that skiing in spring snow is very nice but somewhat riskier.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i would agree to a degree. If you take it steady on a black like you mention then yes they can be safer. people tend to bomb down blue and red becasue they are blue and red and big wide and flat, you only get real good people who bomb down a black without a wory in the world. The only thing is its normally black for a reason, steepness, mogals, obstacales so if you take a tumble it can be hard to stop on some runs, and thereofore much more risky.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The first day I went out skiing again after breaking my pelvis (in a collision) last January, it was not a busy day (end of March) but I did find myself spooked by the people - more than I'd expected. We shifted to an easy and empty black run, had it to ourselves, and all was well.

I asked a pisteur which was the most "dangerous" piste in terms of rescues and injuries, in our area (I had a very interesting early morning out with a pisteur, opening the pistes - a worthwhile initiative of the resort) and without hesitation he pointed to part of a red run we were just ove, on the chairlift. It has a steep top, which people take carefully. Then a less steep section, where people tend to go very fast towards a blind lip. The terrain drops very steeply over that lift and "ils volent"! (they fly). It's also a sector which holds its snow very well and at the end of the season tends to have a lot of people on it who are not able to ski it properly - two steep reds and a black.

The answer probably varies from resort to resort - in some places the home runs to resort are probably the most dangerous especially when conditions aren't good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"However collisions with other skiers and snowboarders has risen dramatically to 10% of all injuries." Figure from Médecins de Montagne (I think) quoted at http://welove2ski.com/ski-safety

So other skiers are a significant hazard but most injuries are due to our own mistakes.

That said, the only bad fall I've had in recent years was caused by a high-speed skier colliding with me from behind, on a motorway red in perfect conditions. After returning to skiing from a long break a few years ago, it was very noticeable how long lift queues are mostly a thing of the past but instead we have crowded pistes. I'm afraid I think skiers trying beat 100kph on phone apps are a new hazard.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More moguls would slow people down too. Slower speeds, more uneven terrain = less serious collisions with other skiers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
While I tends to agree with the OP it is not universally true, especially towards the end of the week when you get the people that decide they "have to do a black run" or on those black just labelled black because the resort wants to.

I'd reckon that if you want to gauge danger by the colour, it has more to do with wrong labelling than anything else, plus those slopes that move up in difficulty because of conditions. EG there is a bit of a blue off the top of the Roche de Mio in La PLagne that fairly steep-ish and gets cut up something rotten, not even into proper moguls. Add hundreds coming down and you have a super dangerous situation on what is actually a difficult slope by then
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is one of the reasons that, even after 28 years on skis, I still enjoy skiing in Grandvalira, Andorra, even at 1/2 term the resort runs rarely get crowded and, being "unpopular" with advanced skiers, the reds and blacks are often deserted. although I would far rather that blacks were never pisted, the pisted reds with no-one on them are fab for pushing the skis to the limit of grip, carving flat out from top to bottom with no-one to get in the way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At Les 2 Alpes one of the most dangerous runs used to be Valentin, a 'home run' black withskiers on terrain way above their abilities. If you skied it, you were at serious risk of being taken out from above. OTOH, the were other black routes down which were almost empty, and so fun.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing is statistically safer than cycling and swimming...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I generally agree with the OP unless the black is groomed and icy. Other blacks tend to dramatically lower speed, which, in turn, reduces the penalty for an unforced error - which, if we're honest, we all occasionally make.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia wrote:

bug, what if you do all three? At least I gave up rugby.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
emwmarine, haha, yes I was forced to give up rugby, but I still swim most weeks. And I ride a big motorbike. You can't live your life wrapped up in a 'safety' cocoon, then die a horrible cancer death. What's the point of that...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ham wrote:
towards the end of the week when you get the people that decide they "have to do a black run".

I always find this hilarious, inevitably on the Thursday/Friday you drop into a black run and find a bunch of first week skiers piled up on the side of a mogul looking absolutely terrified. It's not uncommon to see half of them walking down carrying their skis. I've never really understood the massive deal that people make black runs out to be - it's not like it's a set difficulty level or any such like. IMO it pretty much comes down to being comfortable making turns in moguls or on ice, if you can do that then you can ride it, if not then you can't - people seem to treat them in the same way as going on the biggest, scariest roller coaster at the park, which is really a false premise - I've scared myself massively more on reds than on blacks, simply because there is so much more speed on offer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiing in Garmisch a couple of days ago, on a path that connects one area to another, and which unfortunately can't be avoided, my daughter was run down by a guy on a snowboard, and shortly afterwards I was run down by a dutch guy on skis rolling eyes Luckily neither of us was hurt, but frankly I have decided to no longer ski on or around new year. Having said that the steeper pistes were all empty and would have been perfectly safe to ski. It's the mayhem on the easier slopes that I find really frightening.
So the answer for me is definitely yes, blacks are safer, as is off-piste.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
You can't live your life wrapped up in a 'safety' cocoon, then die a horrible cancer death. What's the point of that...

Agreed, probably one of the most sensible things I've seen written this year so far. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Our crowd always try and find the blacks in a resort, less people does make for a safer feel at least, that chattering right behind you scares the cr*p out of me! I always give someone in front loads of room or stop and let them go, the runs back to resort are often mental!
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

bug, what if you do all three? At least I gave up rugby.

And driving a car is more risky than them all!
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:

And 83.6% of statistics on the Internet are made up.

Cycling is very safe, whatever measure you use. Swimming? Well, depends what measure you use but again I suspect, very safe.

Skiing appears to be incredibly "hazardous" and I suspect any meaningful statistics would back that up, but I doubt they exist.

What it does say is that actually the chances of having an accident carrying out any of those activities is acceptably low.
snow report
Peter S, yes it would slow people down, but as for reducing accidents and injuries, I haven't read so much rubbish in a while. It's still steaming.
snow conditions
Oh, and just as a bye-the-bye, last Friday on the crowded blue back to Bellecotte I saw an ESF boarder instructor going much too fast take out a little kid.....

And what does scare the crap out of me on blacks is that sound of a boarder scraping all the snow off, out of control somewhere above me. Sound familiar?
ski holidays
Ham wrote:
I suspect any meaningful statistics would back that up, but I doubt they exist.

The statistics I'm imagining prove you wrong. Sorry about that.
latest report
Indicated colours are arbitrary.
The one time I was taken out in a full double ski release incident, was by an ESF instructor, on a green cat track path between lift and start of pistes.
The other 2 times I was taken out but managed to save it and keep going, were by boarders trying to maintain momentum (one on a green cat track, the other accessing lift queue).

If we include fatal outcomes, then the most common place to be where you'll never re-awake is a bed. I'd stick to skiing, any colour run, or off piste, and avoid going to bed.
snow report
Ham wrote:

And what does scare the crap out of me on blacks is that sound of a boarder scraping all the snow off, out of control somewhere above me. Sound familiar?

YES

Snowboards have their place....NOT ON A PISTE

I don't agree that black pistes are safer, very much the opposite. The difference between a black piste and a red piste in terms of steepness is On a red run you fall you slide you stop, on a black run you fall you slide you ACCELERATE.

If we are talking UN pisted runs then again a red is safer than a black, on the black you are way more likely to fall than the red, due to being scared.

But if you are comparing pisted red runs with UN pisted black runs lets compare apples and grapefruits ?
ski holidays
Serriadh wrote:
Ham wrote:
I suspect any meaningful statistics would back that up, but I doubt they exist.

The statistics I'm imagining prove you wrong. Sorry about that.

Let's not have lack of meaningful hard data stand in our way - anecdata is the way forward!

I cycle somewhere between 6 - 10,000 miles a year on London streets. My average weekly sight of accidents is..... zero. Last Friday I saw 6 being stretchered off the mountain in one resort. Stand outside the Cabinet Medicin and you will see a steady stream. Skiing is more dangerous.
latest report
Ham, there are lies, damn lies and statistics
ski holidays
Rate of injury per 1,000 visits (US figures for 2009):

Skiing: 2.7
Snowboarding: 3.37
Cycling: 11.4

I agree statistics are a load of baloney and can be made to 'prove/disprove' any point you want...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 1-01-14 13:42; edited 2 times in total
latest report
achilles wrote:
At Les 2 Alpes one of the most dangerous runs used to be Valentin, a 'home run' black withskiers on terrain way above their abilities. If you skied it, you were at serious risk of being taken out from above. OTOH, the were other black routes down which were almost empty, and so fun.

Probably still is! trouble with that one is it is a very gentle start and you can't see the point it turns into a steep mogul field field from the start so think a load of folks who haven't a prayer of making it down reach the point the world drops away from them unawares then don't want to walk back up or loose face in front of their mates so try it anyway! Cue much sliding down on their backsides!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia Those stats you have quoted are risible, sorry. If it is anything like this quick google turned up http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/risk/sports.html it is the population figure that is all to pot. FWIW, the statistical risk of DETH on a bike in London is around 1:50,000,000 in terms of trips. Very very very very very very low, and completely counter to the current round of scare stories.
snow report
Ham, I can see what you are trying to say, but you are doing nothing but proving my point. 1:50,000,000. Get a grip of yourself. That stat is at best heavily manipulated and at worst completely made up.
snow report
Tend to agree with some of the sentiments of the OP. I got taken out on the Marmott Piste (easy blue) in Les Arcs last week by a young guy speeding up from behind; not that I was going particularly slowly - but it was a young man with lots of speed and less control, which is a very scary combination. Thankfully no harm done and the young man may have learned some new cuss-words (and hopefully better manners). I am convinced that what gives me stress and anxiety on the slopes is not the terrain, but crowds of other skiers. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ian Kenvyn, +1
latest report
This is an interesting discussion however.
Presumably the insurance companies have reasonable statistics to base their premiums on.
But the it does depend what one is measuring. I recall that one of the most dangerous sports to play, if you are worried about dying, is Golf, because the average age and lifestyle of many of the participants who have heart attacks while playing, as well as the quite large number of people who get struck by lightning. Neither of which causes has anything to do with the sport .

It is noticeable that blues and red are much busier and faster than I ever recall. I spend much of my skiing time skiing behind my 10 year old daughter, trying to discourage the lunatic skiers and boarders from going too close to her (by skiing slightly wider turns than her and looking uphill for them before they get near tous)

Personally, I will hark back to many of my previous posts, about the importance of telling and reiterating the Skiers Code, by the TOs, the rental shops, the lift companies and the insurance companies.
A particular memory of last year was being for ed off the edge of the piste into the crud by another slope user who cam bombing down the edge of the piste. I caught him up 5 minutes later when he was sitting on a ridge of the piste. I asked him what he knew of the skiers code, and that the downhill skier has the right of way, if you like. He told me I was talking rubbish, that i should not be turning to the right and left as I went down the edge of the piste, because ... On his snow board he cannot make such small radius turns and therefore it was I in fact who was skiing dangerously ! Now, he was quite an accomplished boarder as I saw when he carried on past me. He was in his mid 20s and obviously had been boarding for a long time. But he had no concept or knowledge of the code.
latest report
sev112, +1 on that point too. I have noticed more people not looking uphill before they set off.
snow conditions
thecramps wrote:
Ham, I can see what you are trying to say, but you are doing nothing but proving my point. 1:50,000,000. Get a grip of yourself. That stat is at best heavily manipulated and at worst completely made up.

I'm not trying to bandy stats, just demonstrate the useless nature of the stats I found based on a US sample population of 57,000,0000 skiing versus a german cycling population of 1.7M.

Simple fact is, you get on a bike and you have a reasonable expectation bordering on certainty that you will get off alive and without injury, the same applies to skiing. Empirically, it is almost certain that accidents are more frequent skiing, but the nature of them may tend to be less serious in absolute terms - ligaments, strains, minor breakages - as opposed to when you are mixing it at high speed with lumps of metal weighing upwards of a tonne.
snow conditions
Ham, fair point well made
ski holidays
The same issue is cropping up with cycling in London as no blue and red runs - increased number of vulnerable people in close proximity to things that can cause you harm.
Statistics arent needed to tell us that in both cases we ought to be looking for something sensible to help improve the situation

In both cases I personally believe that Information Campaigns would help. Remind everyone of the skiers code. Put govt adverts on TV telling people what lorries do and vice versa.
ski holidays
Quote:

I agree statistics are a load of baloney

Statistics is a respectable branch of mathematics. Much misused. A basic understanding of statistics ought to be part of the general knowledge of any reasonably well educated person. A statistician asked to answer the question posed in this thread would need to seek a good deal of clarification before trying to answer it. It's a silly question really, though an interesting discussion! Given an empty ski resort then self-evidently a black run is going to be far more dangerous than a green run. Given a busy resort then a high number of accidents will happen on green and blue pistes because that's where most people are most of the time. And so on.......

Just anecdotally how many of us know people who have been skiing recreationally for all their adult lives and not had at least one injury? I have had two, happily with a quarter of an inury-free century between them!

Why does winter sports insurance cost more than a package tour to the Costa Brava? Insurance companies understand statistics or they wouldn't make any money.

Of all the ways of reducing your risk, downloading in a gondola rather than on the kind of valley runs described above is a good start.
latest report
Wow, sobering to see the number of people who have been taken out on the slopes by other skiers/boarders. Is it just me who this doesn't seem to happen too? Puzzled
snow report
rasmanisar, it's not happened to me either, but I have seen it happen and know people injured as a result. (One a broken pelvis, I wonder if that's a likely injury when hit by another skier)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy