Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

For those going to the Alps, do you really need pow?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/not-powder-skiing-its-sht-fck-skiing-%7C-likebomb-skiing-ep-1/269617?t=293
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I cannot quite understand why the skiing emphasis has changed from piste to off-piste. 10 years ago most people were more than happy just to find a nicely groomed piste....

Should admit I am quite happy on-piste (off-piste is too much effort !!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob, Social media. Everyone (you know what I mean) feels the need to appear awesome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob, skiing on-piste in Garmisch yesterday I witnessed my daughter get run down by a snowboarder, and myself got run down by an out of control Dutchman. Give me avalanches & cliffs any day...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:
I cannot quite understand why the skiing emphasis has changed from piste to off-piste. 10 years ago most people were more than happy just to find a nicely groomed piste....

Would you have more fun driving a Land Rover on 'green lanes' or a saloon on a motorway?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Circusthing wrote:
albob, Social media. Everyone (you know what I mean) feels the need to appear awesome.

Heaven forfend that people might actually find it fun, eh?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang, how are the conditions in Garmisch now?

I am coming to Munich next weekend for a couple of days skiing on Sat and Sun.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nigelg, they can be described as 'grippy'. Actually a lot better than I had been expecting after the föhn wind of the last few days. The valley runs, Hausberg, Kandahar and Olympia are all open, but are, shall we say, less grippy than at the top. A lot of people were looking very scared on the Olympia run when I went down it with my daughter. Most runs are open at the top, so it's really ok. Next snow is scheduled for Thursday or Friday, so here's hoping.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That video really is awesome though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, yes, only just looked at it. Nutcase!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BURLY
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
albob wrote:

Would you have more fun driving a Land Rover on 'green lanes' or a saloon on a motorway?

the analogy doesn't quite work for me -- I would change it to ::

"Would you have more fun driving a Land Rover on 'green lanes' or driving a saloon on a (quiet) fast windy road.."

fast windy does it for me Smile (except for the lorries/white van man/sunday shoppers etc ......)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope they had coccyx protectors lol. Some of those landings looked hard, wonder how many fillings fell out on the way down Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've always equated it to the difference between road biking and mountain biking.

Road is fine, but once you get on the mountain bike you remember what you've really been missing.

Top video though
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc, Funnily enough, I pretty much started out with off piste (within a few days), gradually increased the ratio over the years, and now after 39 weeks of skiing under my belt I am started to get really interested in piste skiing, especially the process of learning new technical skills. SL skis have definitely helped to spark that process.
snow conditions
albob, no, I am afraid that we've been chasing powder since before I started skiing, 44 years ago. Google "Dick Barrymore".
snow report
Where and what I ski is completely driven by the snow conditions, I end up spending more time on piste as you simply don't get that many powder days in a season, and tracked out crud or crust does not do it for me.
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, what's fun, after 44 years skiing, I reckon that after a thoroughly excellent weekend with Impulse Racing last year I reckon my piste skiing is better than ever, and more fun... snowHead
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Google "Dick Barrymore".

Sounds like a name to use with safe search turned on.
snow report
Timmaah, my knees hurt just watching that, I'll take the pow please.
snow report
albob, it hasn't really. 90% of skiers will be on pistes.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
albob, no, I am afraid that we've been chasing powder since before I started skiing, 44 years ago. Google "Dick Barrymore".

He's dead!!

But I haven't seen the term 'Hot Dogging' for years Wink
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/not-powder-skiing-its-sht-fck-skiing-%7C-likebomb-skiing-ep-1/269617?t=293

These guys are certifiably insane. (Loved the vid)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 1-01-14 4:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
meh "it hasn't really. 90% of skiers will be on pistes."

Let's hope so, leaves the quiet stuff for the rest of us, but don't tell everyone!
snow conditions
albob, is hot dogging to dogging as hot yoga is to yoga? i.e. in a warm room as opposed to a public car park?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
albob, is hot dogging to dogging as hot yoga is to yoga? i.e. in a warm room as opposed to a public car park?

No ! ! Smile

I last heard it in the early 80's, since then it has grown up and become 'FreeStyle' skiing

However -- I did a 'google' for you, and in the Urban Dictionary it has a completely new meaning ........!

I won't provide a link -- it might not be 'work-safe' Wink
snow conditions
Stop the Brutal Grooming!
snow report
stanton wrote:
Stop the Brutal Grooming!

That's what I said to the Piste-basher driver......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob, i grew my skiing addiction in my early years watching then current Barrymore films in the Osprey room in Aviemore. I do also know what freestyle is, as I have a somewhat expired FIS freestyle competition licence Happy
ski holidays
albob wrote:
off-piste is too much effort !!)

No, you've been going to the wrong off-piste (or on days of wrong condition)

When you get true powder as in the video, skiing is effortless! You just "float ' down the hill!

I hate to rub it in, but I just had one of such day today! Stuff dreams are made of! The only "effort" involved was having to turn away from the hill at the end of the day because the lifts were shut!
snow report
albob, maybe because the same people who 10 years ago were happy to find a nicely groomed piste now want more challenge? Many people appear experts on groomers but off-piste is unflattering, makes one realize imperfections in technique, go back to basics and in the end makes one a better all-around skier. And powder once it clicks is a very special experience altogether. It's rare though that's why going on a ski holiday many people hope to hit at least one powder day. It's impossible to improve powder skiing without powder days. It's understandable when people don't mind to be permanent intermediates but it's also understandable when people want to become all-terrain and all-conditions skiers because it means freedom. It's feels great when you go to resort without wondering how steep, icy, bumpy or crowded the runs are.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
albob, ......in the Osprey room in Aviemore..... Happy

Ahhh -- the Osprey disco !!

latest report
albob, that's the one, scene of many a seminal (!) moment in my youth, on par with the pool room at the Freedom Inn. Twisted Evil

No names, no pack drill...
snow report
Awesome Vid Happy
snow conditions
adie wrote:
Where and what I ski is completely driven by the snow conditions, I end up spending more time on piste as you simply don't get that many powder days in a season, and tracked out crud or crust does not do it for me.
A good guide will find you powder most of the time, and the challenge of a bit of crust occasionally, far from any skiers in a valley of your own, is all part of the mix. I just find the piste boring now (the only way to make it not boring would be to go dangerously fast with other skiers around).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy